Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2008, 04:03 AM   #211
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,757
No Hurry

Need not hurry for home.
Yahoo posted a little over an hour ago (now 7 a.m. Sunday)

Quote:
Flood advisories were posted for coastal counties and Wilmington, N.C., received 2 1/2 inches of rain Saturday, said Stephen Keebler, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service there.
Cristobal's winds were not expected to be a problem, Keebler said.
Forecasters predicted up to 5 inches of rain along the North Carolina coast, with heavier amounts in some areas.
End Quote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080720/ap_on_re_us/us_tropical_weather

Plug and Plug.
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:22 AM   #212
Hospitaler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Here are a few more pics of the construction we ran into just before Lab City. Carmella

Hospitaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #213
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Merde!!

Are you serious!?!? I knew there were some "construction" but that!!!

Abendteuerfahrer...did you go through this too or was your route somewhat different?

Hondachopper
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:02 AM   #214
Hospitaler
Adventurer

My bike was stuck on the large rocks in 2 feet of sand toward the Having roufront of picture. Rather than ruin my Strom, Tony had to help me dig it out and I pushed him out of the rut! We were totally wiped out after this. I think the construction crew was enjoying the show.

I'm having trouble inserting multiple pics to forum. Any suggestions anyone? Carmella
Old 07-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #215
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hospitaler
My bike was stuck on the large rocks in 2 feet of sand toward the Having roufront of picture. Rather than ruin my Strom, Tony had to help me dig it out and I pushed him out of the rut! We were totally wiped out after this. I think the construction crew was enjoying the show.

I'm having trouble inserting multiple pics to forum. Any suggestions anyone? Carmella
I had completely forgotten about that! Thankfully it was short and standing on the pegs let me pass unscathed on the KLR. I do remember thinking that if this was what the rest of the road was like, I was doomed.

I linked to your posts in my RR. If that's a problem I can remove the links. May I also link directly to the pictures?

Thanks,

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449

scarysharkface screwed with this post 07-20-2008 at 07:30 AM
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #216
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
HOSPITALER and SCARYSHARKFACE.......First, HOSPITALER, I was not able in getting to open your pics..but know what you're talking about.....Yes, I went through the same thing and thought...no way am I going thru this all the way, but knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel. The road crew looked amusing seeing me stand on pegs and plow thru. Had I toppled I would insist that they help me lift Brunhilde back up. I'd scream!!! Of what I've read this might be the worst construction going on this year compared to years past. Did they have a bad winter and needed to fix it. This "Merde" is bad for moto-touring.

HONDACHOPPER.....it's the same route. I got clobbered twice; one like this in Labrador and one in Quebec. I was too scared to get off my bike and take some pics and was afraid that the road crew wouldn't want to be seen on ADV doing a lowsy road job. t

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-21-2008 at 01:07 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #217
Hospitaler
Adventurer

Your coverage is superb. Tells it all. I meant flat tire in Cartwright. Must have rode most of day on very low tire, which was probably good. Sorry to hear about your small spill. Doesn't look like too much damage. Count your blessings after seeing some of the rides. Glad I didn't take my 1150R up there.

Am having trouble writing a thread to cover our trip. Am very new at this, actually my first attempt. How do you add multiple pics after your captions? Also, how do you insert pic of yourself to the left? Thanks so much, Carmella
Old 07-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #218
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

HOSPITALER......Vermont is washed out, so are the Adirondacks today. Am holed in a Motel in Burlington, VT. Hoped to get a tub of Ben & Jerry's, but the rains won't let up.

Carmela, I subscribe to Smugmug an ad-free online photo albums for easy photo sharing. Features bulk uploading, almost unlimited customization, professional prints, and unlimited storage. However, today, they for the third time have let me down in not being able to log on, ggrrrrr. Smugmug automatically sizes loaded pictures onto ADV rider webside.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #219
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

SCARYSHARKFACE said it so well that I am going to post his comments for anyone contemplating the trip. Although I didn't ride as fast as he did and made every attempt to stop for picture taking and flower smelling. My GS was overladen, some good things about it and some bad. The additional weigh seemed to help my Michelin Anakees grip better when it came to dirt and light gravel, but when it came to loose gravel and deep mud, I pretty much sunk in. Cheers....

Originally Posted by scarysharkface
Cole,

"It seemed to me that it was probably a lot like the Alcan was before paving, but that's just wistful speculation.

As for endless dirt, it's more like endless rocky sand!

I ran it mostly pretty fast at speeds between 90 and 120 kph (55 - 70 mph?), but I'm not certain that was the wisest thing to do riding solo.

If something bad had happened and I'd exited the roadway at all, the steep sides would have hidden me from all passers-by very effectively.

Then again, I found the changing surface and deep sand and gravel to be virtually unrideable on my bike at speeds any slower than those.

I'd never ridden gravel at those speeds before, but it made it an order of magnitude easier than trying to keep the bike upright at 45 mph.

Maybe the reality is that a road such as this one (questionable base, heavy truck traffic, constant ongoing re-grooming and extremely remote) is simply a challenge and dangerous to ride, and that's a large part of the allure.

Of course, it is extremely important to note that the off-camber edges of the road, with loose gravel and sand, are to be taken very, very seriously. The few times that I had to move right of the right-most "track" portion of the roadway, I slowed to first or second gear and stood on the pegs. Whereas the middle of the road's surfaces vary widely, the edges of the road are consistently soft, deep, treacherous and with steep, rocky drop-offs.

I'm terrifically happy to have done the trip solo, for the personal validation/esteem/bragging rights/whatever."

Got a few pictures of VT, then the rains hit. Also Smugmug is down for the time being.

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-21-2008 at 01:11 PM
Old 07-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #220
mikefryman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Chocolate

Tried it, Very good, Coffee loving friends loved it.
Thank you,
Mike
mikefryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #221
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Back In The United States Of Amerika....

Left Victoriaville, QC this morning after a sumptous breakfast le Americain!. rains were forecast. It rained slightly thus no pictures until I hit a dry spot. Went on farming backroads but could not take pictures for fear of ruining my camera. Finally came upon the US border crossing in Derby Line, VT/QC.

Some roads leading to the border.

I was approached from behind not hearing the customs officer, later telling me in front that photographing is verboten. It's a security issue a la Georges Bush! Asked whether I must erase the pictures. He said no but no more taking further pictures.

Showed the Lady officer my passport, was asked a few customary questions: buy anything; anyone give you any package; how long you been gone, etc. Passed..on I went into the USA.

Having just transited and come home from the wilderness of Newfoundland, Labrador, and Quebec...having seen 2 Moose...1 Deer...1 bear....a fox with a pheasant in its mouth.... I have had such respect for these animals who endure the cold wilds there and are at the mercy of our hunting, although sometimes necessary. Within a few miles I could not resist helping a fallen Deer that had just been freshly hit by whatever and lie dying on the curbside. He a young Buck who was already dead from impact trauma. No blood or open wound was seen.

Such a beautiful animal.....sad.....

Be careful out there.....

The rains started coming for 4 hours....

Until then..

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
Old 07-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #222
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Got rained out again from Vermont to Scranton, PA. Hardly any pictures, so went thru my files and retrieved a few that were not shown before. These are from the entire trip.

Abandoned Vehicles along the TLH

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-21-2008 at 05:41 PM
Old 07-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #223
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Met this couple at the Gros Morne campground. Motorcycling in style. The couple is from Iowa and he build it himself..

Pulling a trailer as well..

Small Canadian Flight Museum in..????

Vermont Landscape...much rained out..

Saint St.Bucks on NY Highway..........wooooooooooooo...weeeeee

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
Old 07-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #224
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,838
With all that spiffy camera work, when did you have time to ride?

Love the pics!

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #225
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
Awww...too bad you didn't stop long enuff in Vermont or Adriondocks to enjoy the scenery and take more photos. You never have enuff photos...with so much beauty out in Canada and USA.

Scarysharkface...looks like Abendteuerfahrer is making a S L O W progress home due to his photo journey..

Love that sidecar!

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote