Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #256
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Hi TOMSAWYERDIGITALMAN.....thank you for your nice comments regarding my travels.

I reluctantly shelled out big bucks for the BMW designed Rallye Pro 2, because it was recommended by others and got a good buy in Ohio when I visited my son there. I was worried about the bulkiness and overinsulated/underinsulated material..but this was not to be. I got very good garment instructions from the guy at Ohio BMW who was very well versed in this garment and how to wear it right!. There are three layers within the Jacket. The last layer houses the total mesh "jacket" that you can wear without the other two, but the mesh still contains the armoured pads(shoulders; back and elbows), then comes the liner which is primarily a rain/insulation liner( can be worn by itself as a daily jacket)..then finally the outer jacket that has the vents, pockets..etc. According to the garment fitter...the jacket should be worn reasonably snug for the armoureds to stay in place and retaining body heat insulation. Unfortunately I diverted from this area by buying myself a bit of a larger size with the intention to give myself more room for wearing more layers of other clothings. It did defeat the purpose of the original intention of the jacket by making the jacket looser thus the movement of the armoureds. However the armoureds are reasonably sized to cover you in a fall. My shoulder was impacted as well as my elbow...narry a scratch. I have since brought a Gerbings heated liner which due to its slight bulkiness makes the BMW jacket fit pretty snug preventing movement of the armoureds. To answer your questions in regard to bulkiness..NO..the BMW jacket is not bulky, it's soft and gets softer..it's heavy, YES.. due to the armoureds..but comforting!

The BMW jacket was pretty warm riding Labrador and very ventilated when I rode back to the southern heat. As long as you are moving the vents on the BMW jacket serve its purpose extremely well...make sure that the arm vents are open; chest vents...as well as the must open rear back vents. This causes a venturi effect cooling your tremendously. Do not ever wear cotton t-shirts in hot weather riding but wear those synthetic wicking shirts underneath...you'd be surprised of how cool one gets. I wear my BMW jacket even in the most heated days. They're my seat belt which I will not do without. My BMW riding pants also have armoured knee pads as well as hip pads..they serve equally well. Now there are many others out there that might be equivalent in their design and protection, but I can't vouch for them as I have not ridden in them and are a heap cheaper.

You have your roof in your car which relatively speaking is yor helmet..your cars body relatively speaking is your ATGATT gear. I am from the old school of thought..I believe in ATGATT.

Cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #257
Scoop
runs with scissors

Oddometer: 297
Interesting comments about the Rallye II jacket. A friend of mine has one, and it looks like a good jacket, except it is NOT waterproof. The middle liner is, but the jacket is not. When we ride through rain, it gets heavy and uncomfortable and WET, despite the liner. I think that is the only reason I don't buy one as otherwise they look like great jackets. I am surprised that it is not waterproof, given the price and reputation

"....you can't sacrifice the dead" -----Jonnylotto

We are unable to imagine nothing, therefore we must imagine something.
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #258
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

SCOOP..... you're right that they are not waterproof...in the sense that there's no such thing as a waterproof riding jacket, ...water-resistant , Yes,... maybe!...when the jacket was new, it was pretty water resistant until after a couple thousand miles of wear and tear the material lost its repelency. One has to re-treat its replency. The inner liner on most jackets serve a a shield/insulation in the event other parts of the clothing leak or one forgets to close the vents or zippers. All vents must be closed in the event of a downpour. Totally waterproof jackets do not breathe and condensation will engulf your entire body, not good!. My primary concern was the crash protection, temperature insulation/venting the jacket provided. Waterproofness or water resistance was augmented with a full length one piece heavy duty BMW rain suit for serious inclement weather and a light two piece rainsuit for light wet weather. Both of these were well worn over the riding jacket.

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 09-22-2008 at 07:49 AM
Old 09-21-2008, 10:27 PM   #259
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,501
Thanks for the report and pictures. It was great hearing of the northern country through your eyes. I have one more road to put on my list of "Must Ride".

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #260
Scoop
runs with scissors

It is hard to find a jacket/suit that will do it all. In 2006, I was at a Canadian Superbike race in Mosport and there was a BMW tent and display. They were selling out lots of that summer's stock at low prices. I bought a summer jacket, for $150. It is a bit light for trips where you expect cooler weather, but comes with a liner. It is completely breathable and stands up to the heaviest of downpours, as experienced in Joplin MO this summer
Compared to my friends Rallye jacket, bought new a few months AFTER mine, it is amazing. So far, it has proven to be waterproof without being a sweat box. Of course, time may change that, but it would be nice if the Rallye jacket could do that. It is such a nice suit.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:35 AM   #261
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,395
This was a great read and has really put a fire under me to get up there this August - thanks!

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #262
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Transformation....

If the Alaska trip does not materialize this summer I might go back and explore Newfoundland a bit better and do the TLH loop again..might include the Baie St. James + Trans Taiga. Also want to see the areas that I missed then due to inclement weather..really miss the ferry rides as well, he..! BUT most of all my Frau will come along this time!

Before:

See what I have done to Brunhilde that carried me thru the TLH sans wife. Now Brunhilde is lugging Ingrid the sidecar and of course wife will accompany me....

AFTER....

I am sure you'll recognize me on the road...

Cheers...Your Man returning on the road

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 04-21-2009 at 03:50 PM
Old 04-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #263
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,386
Fantastic upgrade!!
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #264
Scoop
runs with scissors

WOW

Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #265
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,557
Awsome! Thank you for sharing your adventure with us.

greg
Old 04-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #266
Appraiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
This has been one of the best if not THE BEST ride report that I have read. I do have a question. Did someone get the patch? I love the ride report because of the way it was written and the great pictures that goes along with it.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #267
longwaybackhome
--------------

Oddometer: 218
Really nice report - Many many thanks for sharing!

longwaybackhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #268
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
Thanks so much for the wonderfully detailed ride report. It will help me immensely. My wife and I are hoping to hit it counter clockwise this July.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #269
RestlessRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Ride Report

Wonderful ride report, enjoyed reading it. Amused by your java addiction!

Look forward to more reports soon.

-RestlessRider
RestlessRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #270
jab1026
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I like the color combination....

Waiting for your next ride report....
jab1026 is offline   Reply With Quote