Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2008, 05:50 AM   #61
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Thanks for posting your pics and story. I ride with ear plugs and wear hearing aids. I' m interested in your story.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:01 AM   #62
JohnyCakes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Very interesting report...looking foward to reading some more.

Thanks, Johny

STEAMFITTERS LOCAL 638 NYC & LI
JohnyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #63
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Good Morning....

1) Yesterday I was a bit tired to caption some of the pictures if not all. Maybe I'll post some less pics so that I can write some thoughts and the places where the pic's were taken?

Some of you are asking me what the challenges have been as a deaf rider. None so far..I just ride and ignore the world. I did have a small incident yesterday that I can understand very well. Remember that off-side truck advertising selling seafoods....fishmonger..on the side road somewhere in northern Maine. What happened was that I forgot to take some pictures of live lobsters back there and saw this unusual truck. Pulled over and took a picture of the truck and its signs, then proceeded to the drivers window asking whether he could show me a live lobster for picture taking? He oppened the window and gave me a barrage of profanity that was easy to lip read. His veins were about to explode...dunno why...I profusely apologized for the intrusion...no dice, he kept ranting on about making a living...costs..., etc. Got only about 50% of his rants. Told me that I'll have to buy a lobster first and take a pic from there. Don't want a live lobster stuffed in my tank bag. I did not feel threatened but thought of economic times in Maine...lobster prices are down...gas is up...economy in Maine is down..these people make a hard living. Completely understand, no big deal.
So decided to stop for lunch and order a dead lobster for picture taking..a very expensive way to take a picture, eh. Caution, treat this picture with care it costs $21 a snap!

2) It's been said that when a biker is pulled over by a State trooper, one is to keep his hands on the handlebars. Do not fumble getting your helmet off or fumble in your tankbag or whatever for your license and registraton. It's a security issue for them. Officers more likely will talk to you from behind. Me being deaf makes it kind of scary..if I don't respond or do what he says from behind....what comes??????
They all need to be educated that there are deaf riders as well. So far so good...trying to ride within the limits or 5 mph over posted speed limit. Ride well and don't give them a reason to pull you over.

3) I always quickly tell anyone...customs officer..front desk clerk..waitress..gas attendants that I am deaf as soon as I see their lips move. I have gotten 95% positive responses with about a small %, "never mind".

So far so good...it's raining dogs and cats here at the US/Canada border...maybe I'll don my heavy duty BMW Lab rain outfit or the Walmart kind, hmmm...

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-25-2008 at 12:32 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #64
Cat Daddy
Cob Artist

Oddometer: 837
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #65
Perry B
Perry B

Oddometer: 135
Looks like a great start.
Looking forward to more.
Be safe.... enjoy!
Perry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #66
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Thanks

for inviting us along on your trip. Welcome to Canada, eh. In Canada, we have this wee institution called TIM HORTON'S. Ledgend has it, Tim used to be a hockey player. He played for both the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Buffalo Sabres. Most people don't know that. Somewhere along the way, he invented the coffee shop. You will still find Starbucks....but the coffee is way better at TIM'S!!! Enjoy.
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #67
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,419
This has been a good read so far. One of my closest friends is deaf and We sign a little when we ride. Safe travels.
Qwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #68
mikefryman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Laugh Great thread

Enjoying the thread. I love souse, but I watched my granny scrape a hog's head and that looked different and good too. Thanks for the chocolate recipe. I am definitely going to try that.
Mike
mikefryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #69
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Good Bye America, hello Canada.....

Left Calais, Me. in the torrents of rain...due to poor visibility and fogged visor I overshot the Canada customs line. Saw red flashing lights and some kind of a booommm...maybe a horn to alert one that you crossed the line. Traipsed slowly backwards to the window and apologized to the customs agent. The young Gent was very understanding and seem to know that bikers have a handful to recon with. Told him that I was deaf..no problem, mouthed a few questions: where to?; guns?; booze?; buying property up there?; how long you staying?; asked what my bikes license number was..couldn't remember so had to roll forward for him to see and document. Then showed him my passport...passed with flying colors and on I went into Canada in the rain. It rained, rained, and rained forever from Calais, Me to Moncton, NB. The rain gods unleashed what is to become part of my trip. Tucked away my camera(wish I had a underwater camera) for fear of ruin. Even in the rain, the landscapes are gorgeous...spectacular...undescribable. It was blowing gale force from the Fundy area, about 50km/h. Had to ride sideways most of the way. Couldn't take pictures of St. Johns..too wet. Finally stopped for some Java to warm up. Oh, by the way forgot to tell you that I had to don the real rainsuit by BMW and none of that Walmart stuff, the rains were too heavy and cold. Was about to wear one of the best rain proof and warm gloves by BMW, but to my horror I realized that I carried one of my Frau's other smaller sized glove. Gggrrr....

Cheap gasoline here???? Nada, its $1.36 X 4=......

Rest stop for some Java. These riders came from Moncton and told me, "You ridin' up there, expect a rainstorm...yeah".

Woooooo double power..need it to beat the rain gods..

Ugh...where's the Baquettes, Brioches, Croissants; this is bilingual Canada. Gimme some French pastry please....

Palourdes...le Clams on the go, just pop into your mouth?

Testament of the strong winds that I had here which spilled my Double Blaster Java....ggrrr

Found Le Starbucks in a Monctons Barnes & Noble like book store. The store was packed with customers due to the rains. I looked like an idiot walking among fine books in my trenching rain gear looking for a replacement of my lost double Blaster. Got it and lo and behold, St. Bucks cups also have French translation or vice versa " The way I see it". Sorry no ROSE this time!

This lovely lady at Sackville Tourist info desk helped me call around for a BB in the Moncton area as my Frau is making a landing here,....woooooooooooooooooo.....come Tuesday

First Covered Bridge in the Sacksville Marsh area..............

Prominent United Church of Canada...Sacksville, NB

This concludes my report for the day.....tomorrow it shall rain once more, then another day of rain when my Frau arrives..Thursday Le Sol might take a peek onto New Brunswick

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
Old 06-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #70
ocechap
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Awesome, keep up the pics!
Old 06-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #71
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Did that GS come with the yellow rear splash gard? Great idea. The yellow helmet as well. I'm now thinking yellow for my next lid.
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #72
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
ooooh, the downpour is no good for picture taking. Waterproof camera is good thing to have, especially in the areas you're heading to. Losing your coffee in the gusts of wind ain't good either. Looks like a good day to take a break. Great photos and comments...keep them coming! Ride carefully...you don't want them Mounties coming after ya!!

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #73
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

SKY SAILOR....I painted the splash guard with simple yellow automotive spray paint after sanding the surface a bit with 200 grid paper, primed it white then applied the yellow/orange. Gives a bit conspicuity.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #74
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
This is sooo cool! I'm hooked. I feel like I'm riding along with you listening to your stories and the pictures...

I check in here 3 or 4 times a day---

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #75
Scoop
runs with scissors

Oddometer: 297
I sure hope the rain lets up for you. There was a large system rolling through there, but hopefully you will get nice weather soon.
FYI, this is about the best site for accurate weather here:
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html

Have fun!

"....you can't sacrifice the dead" -----Jonnylotto

We are unable to imagine nothing, therefore we must imagine something.
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote