Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #76
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,279
Appetizing New Brunswich, PEI, Nova Scotia....

Decided to explore this area a bit before my Frau comes tomorrow. An ADV rider who himself is hearing impaired made contact with me through ADV posting, invited me to crash at his home; share meals, and chat. His name's Lloyd, who rides a Suzuki Vstrom and has been around and about. He's such a gent, is so accommodating and helpful, one couldn't ask for anything more. He even invited me to his parents house to meet them and have his mothers prime lunch.

LLOYD and his bike:

His lovely folks....

Then the 200+ ride went on...............

Confederation Bridge
The longest bridge over ice covered waters in the world, joining Borden-Carleton, Prince Edward Island and Cape Jourimain, New-Brunswick

FLEURS FOR THE BIKERWOMAN OF THE WORLD

Solitude.............

Residents of Prince Edward Island.....

Brunhildes first red earth ride with Lloyd. It was kind of a wet earth/clay type consistency. Rode for some distance. I was a bit tense to see my heavy laden bike tackle these roads. Brunhilde did good, but on ocassion had to stand on the pegs in order to give better center of gravity and weigh forward...whew..!!

Lloyd telling me that Brunhilde and I did fine......almost shaaat in my pants. Get ready for Labrador...?

Salt Marsh Lands of PEI

Typical small Campground for the small camper; no RV's here, Yeah.........

View from atop campground.....

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-01-2008 at 03:30 AM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #77
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,994
I've been meaning to ask this but didn't really know how appropriate it would be. I'll ask anyway. I'm curious to know how has being deaf affected your travels? You've mentioned reading lips and having a bit of trouble communicating a few times. Can you elaborate on that a bit more?
Old 06-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #78
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Gate to the NFL Ferry to Nova Scotia...1 hour 20 min....

Follow the Golf chart......for bike lane...

Three Happy Beemers......(author on the right) met these guys..told them that I was deaf....both started mouthing very slowly and made me welcome immediately. One's from Maine and the other New Hampshire. They plan to run around NS.

Vacationing Canadians are way ahead in energy conservation and excercise..

Wanna try this next year to ALASKA.......

Brunhilde strapped down good; in gear and front brakes locked...

Inside the bowels of the Ferry...

Staircase to Heaven.....!

Leaving the Dock...

Underway...............

Sistership....

Typical Fishing Harbour....

Renovated, preserved Train Depot....

You could still dine here but at standstill. Either dine in the railway car or inside the Depot.....really NEAT.

Dear Enthusiast....I am taking a few days of R&R with my Frau here in Moncton, so I won't be posting for some days. Many thanks for your continued support and encouragement and kind words.....there are indeed kind people in this uneasy world of ours. Thank you.

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 04:49 PM
Old 06-30-2008, 06:57 PM   #79
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Jeffy......Your question is perfectly appropriate. No sweat. I try to ride and articulate my conversation within my means. I know I am deaf so there are times I look at the situation to match my needs. Everyone has different lip movements; has moustaches; southern drawls...foreigns accents;...all these are difficult. Some people simply have never met a deaf person and assume they have to shout. SO far the trip has been a blessing and everyone has been very accommodating. I find Canada's people much more forthcoming to ones handicap than Americans, although we have the best deaf education system and technology, but I do see the Canadian Quebeois reluctant to go the extra mile. Can't wait to visit Newfoundland, been told that their drawl is very Elizabethan..oh, God help me. Will keep you posted, Cheers...........
Old 06-30-2008, 09:06 PM   #80
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abendteuerfahrer
Jeffy......Your question is perfectly appropriate. No sweat. I try to ride and articulate my conversation within my means. I know I am deaf so there are times I look at the situation to match my needs. Everyone has different lip movements; has moustaches; southern drawls...foreigns accents;...all these are difficult. Some people simply have never met a deaf person and assume they have to shout. SO far the trip has been a blessing and everyone has been very accommodating. I find Canada's people much more forthcoming to ones handicap than Americans, although we have the best deaf education system and technology, but I do see the Canadian Quebeois reluctant to go the extra mile. Can't wait to visit Newfoundland, been told that their drawl is very Elizabethan..oh, God help me. Will keep you posted, Cheers...........
Yeah, I figured it was best to just ask rather then be dumb and wonder.

Have fun on your R&R... This thread is like a small R&R for the rest of us.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #81
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Lay Day today and Happy Canada Day...

L'eches est difficile, mais le succes est encore plus dangereux. Si vous reussisses dans un domaine qui n'est pas le votre, le melange des eloges et de l'argent recus, ajoute aux perspectives d'avenir dans ce domaine, peut vous y retenir pour toujours.

Refresh your high school French and then don't you agree....

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
Old 07-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #82
Scoop
runs with scissors

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
L'eches est difficile, mais le succes est encore plus dangereux. Si vous reussisses dans un domaine qui n'est pas le votre, le melange des eloges et de l'argent recus, ajoute aux perspectives d'avenir dans ce domaine, peut vous y retenir pour toujours.

Refresh your high school French and then don't you agree....

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
Also, Quebecquois is often very different from the Parisienne French learned in high school! But, looks like you will do fine!
Best wishes, Happy Canada Day. Can't wait for the saga to continue!
Another Canadian tip, most cities will have a Canadian Hearing Society office somewhere, where ASL is spoken. ASL interpreters are also available there, should the need arise (hopefully not, but it can be good to know).

"....you can't sacrifice the dead" -----Jonnylotto

We are unable to imagine nothing, therefore we must imagine something.
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #83
testrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
I've been meaning to ask this but didn't really know how appropriate it would be. I'll ask anyway. I'm curious to know how has being deaf affected your travels? You've mentioned reading lips and having a bit of trouble communicating a few times. Can you elaborate on that a bit more?
Yes, I have a slightly different question, if you don't mind. I'm fluent in English and have an excellent command of English but it's not my native language (I'm Asian.) I wonder if you had a harder time to read lips from non-native English speakers?
testrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #84
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

TESTRIDER.....my native language is actually German. I was born in Germany. Being Deaf in Germany is another thing and I have no interest in elaborating. Being deaf in America is far more acceptable...and here you can establish a proven language of your own: ASL, just like when you speak Chinese or Japanese at home and speak English once outside. But coming to America and having to learn English, lip read it from a native German was no easy task....

Cheers
Old 07-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #85
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Ok...enough of lip reading!! Where's my pics!!! Must have PICS!!!! I want PICS!!!

OK...Ok...I will lay off the coffee...

WHERE ARE THE PICS!!!

Roadrat...
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #86
Tail Gunner
Life is Good !!!

Oddometer: 1,596
Great RR. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Andrew
Tail Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #87
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,339
Thanks for the RR! Looking forward to more.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #88
Scoop
runs with scissors

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
TESTRIDER.....my native language is actually German. I was born in Germany. Being Deaf in Germany is another thing and I have no interest in elaborating. Being deaf in America is far more acceptable...and here you can establish a proven language of your own: ASL, just like when you speak Chinese or Japanese at home and speak English once outside. But coming to America and having to learn English, lip read it from a native German was no easy task....

Cheers
Actually, I should have asked before providing info before. Do you use ASL? I am curious as an audiologist somewhat immersed in Deaf culture.

"....you can't sacrifice the dead" -----Jonnylotto

We are unable to imagine nothing, therefore we must imagine something.
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #89
Steve Glenn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Excellent Report!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:01 AM   #90
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,916
American Sign Language - ASL

Quote:
But coming to America and having to learn English, lip read it from a native German was no easy task....
Cheers
Abendteuerfahrer,

I can't imagine how you pulled it off.
ASL - American Sign Language is not unversal as I understand it.
Did you have to learn that too upon coming to the U.S.?

I took ASL for one semester at a nearby Community College several years ago.
Alas, with nobody to practice it on I have forgotten nearly all I learned.
Even fingerspelling.

American Sign Language Browser Link

George

Plug and Plug.

Old_Lion screwed with this post 07-02-2008 at 05:42 AM
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote