Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2008, 05:19 AM   #106
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Where were those recent pictures from?---Nova Scotia??

Hondachopper
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #107
icedmocha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Thumb

I read the thread last night at work. Thanks for a good thread :)
icedmocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #108
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Hondachopper....the recent pictures were in Nova Scotia and part New Brunswick.

Some pictures are still from Nova Scotia(Cape Breton-Cabot trail) and by the time you read this I should be on the "ROCK"...NEWFOUNDLAND

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 05-06-2011 at 07:14 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #109
Mastros2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Wow! Thanks for taking us along. Friends and I almost went to PEI and New Brunswick for our last trip but instead went westbound in the states.

Great report!
Mastros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:15 AM   #110
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Cape Breton, NS

An evening on Cape Breton...

On to the ride on the Cabot Trail around the Cape....

Spot Satellite tracker. My Frau can monitor my exact location using this device. Can also transmit 911 if needed.

On to more of the Cabot trail....

Bras d' Or Lake....

Old 07-07-2008, 04:52 AM   #111
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Newfoundland....here I Come.....

Took the Ferry after a bit of polite hassle since I didn't have any reservation. Told the attendant that I am deaf and couldn't call. She became sympathetic to my cause and put me on standby for the next following morning. "There's no more room for you to sleep". I indicated that I don't want any sleeping room, just any lounger will do. No, deal! Returned to Town and meet another GS rider, with his Dad who was also riding insisted that I go to the terminal with them. For some reason they were effective in having me come along with them onto the ferry for the 1430 hrs departure. They were from Newfoundland and had been riding the US and claim know how to haggle with conductor there. So got on and here I am.......

These nice gents helped me getting boarded...his Dad's 70 years old..

Sorry for the fuzzy picture: MOOSE Catcher...uh...

Inside the good Ship MV Joseph and Clara Smallwood.....

Private Cabins....

Dormitory Style Cabins.....

Excellent ships chow....Pork chops a la Newfoundland...real mashed potatos..great, and I didn't heave it overboard....

After a 7 hour ferry ride, NEWFOUNDLAND came into sight.....

Desolate, stark, barren shores...beautiful, rugged...

Port aux Basques, NFLD....

What have I done??? Uh, there's also a hurricane, "Bertha" brewing in the Atlantic heading my way...eeechhhh.

Welcome to Newfoundland, the "Rock"...northern most civilized land of Atlantic Canada....

Until the next episode...

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 05:10 PM
Old 07-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #112
Sevoman
Ever Vigilant

Oddometer: 906
Excellent

I am keeping up with your RR and you are whetting my appetite for travel to Nova Scotia and NF. Great stuff so far. Ride safe and enjoy!

Thank you for sharing.

Sevoman
Sevoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:38 AM   #113
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
Thanks for showing us beautiful pictures of Cabot Trail and basically---all the pictures are awsome. A sight to see and I feel like I'm riding along on the trip! There are nicer people left in this world...thank goodness!!
Glad you made it on the ship.

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #114
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Wow! That looks like a great place to be (unless that little hurricane thing pans out). Great pics!

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #115
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Newfoundland....

There is no definition of the beauty of this Island. Rugged, cold/hot, stark,...even pictures can do not justice. I was so enamoured with the surrounding that I forgot to take the most scenic picture...it will forever be etched in my mind. Who made this land? It's so clean, it's air is pure oxygen..it's people are one of a kind. I stopped for a Goldwinger to see whether he needed anything..."just changing my clothes". When I stopped, another Newfoundlander stopped and asked if we were OK. It makes me tear inside seeing such human consideration and courtesy.

Table Mountains..

Somehow got tired from all that riding and unusual heat through the Gros Morne PP. Riding through the area you get exposed to all kinda of weather: cold thermals, hot thermals...humidity..bugs..freezing cold wind blasts, etc.
Decided to call it a day by camping in Gros Morne PP

Took a stroll down the small street and noticed a bar, convenience store and restautant, all in one run by a family. Mom, Pop, son, daughter. Since I walked decided to have a Newfie beer.

Hmmm..good...so another one...

Notice it's a 5%er.....

Asked the bartender that I've gotten hungry and whats recommended to go with this killer beer...." Eh, !@##$$%%". "What....". Trying to read his lips.."Cod Tongues"..."God Tongues??" " No, C-O-D..T-O-N-G-U-E-S". Yo, man Cod Tongues..the fish...buurrp...had to many 5%er. Ok, went around the corner and ordered Cod Tongues with a side dish of fish chowder.

The Tongues came and, man, were they good...tasted, well like tongues, chicken..frog legs. Really good. These Newfies sure make use of everything Fish, nuthin' is wasted.

Da Tongues of the COD...

Disected so that you can view it better. Just stick out your own tongue and notice that you have two sides...

Hmmmm..good. Yeah, another 5%er to wash it down good...

and this is the Holy Place for it!

Buurrpppp...picture from my camp side.......ZZZzzzzzzzzz
See you Manana....

Until then ...

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 05:15 PM
Old 07-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #116
ruh roh
hey Yall

Oddometer: 296
hello from 2 deaf from Ark. I wondered how many more deaf were on here. Your trip must have prevented you from attending Deaf Rally during Texas Rally. You are right, not many deaf can afford to go long trips. We are also retired, but our son plans to go touring soon.

Lucky you get rain in that area, it is 95 here with 95 humidity. Yuck!

Let us know if you come south.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #117
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,318
Awesome ride, report and pics!! Thanks for the continued updates to your journey

Old 07-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #118
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Ruh Roh.....hi there...nice to know that some other deaf riders are monitoring my side. This is all for you..it's being dedicated to all deaf riders of America. Yes, I missed the Texas Deaf Rally, was too busy with planning and get my bike ready. However one of our Eastern Deaf Biker member did attend the rally from Maryland. I am a member of EDB as well. Hope that I make it to Labrador where I will nail the EDB logo on the wall in some bar in hope that one day 'ANY" deaf biker is to remove it and bring it back to the President of EDB, who will reward you with somethng for the return of the emblem. Details later......Ride safe, ride far..see you on the road.

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
Old 07-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #119
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
Land is beginning to look stark and barren but your picture picks up the beauty in it. Thanks for all the time you take in making us feel like we are along for the ride. Cod tongue...yeeeech, can't imagine but I'll take your word for it that it was good. Here's toasting to your biggest adventure of it all...riding through Labrador. You are so close ad I can't wait to see the pictures. Hope the hurricane fizzles out someplace else and you'll have good weather window!

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #120
Mangoes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hola! Very much enjoying following along with you on your trip. Happy to see that you are having a wonderful time. Great photos. Interesting food....seafood chowders look yummy. Have to agree with VespaMamma, not so sure about those cod tongues! We may or may not be able to follow along with you for the next couple weeks, we'll be cruising on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay. Continue to ride safely, and have fun. We'll look forward to catching up with your adventures when we get back home. Stay warm!!
Mangoes is offline   Reply With Quote