Oddometer: 442
Excellent pics and ride report
kwn306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #122
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Newfoundland...continued....

Camped for the night with another 5%er. Slowly the night began, fire was lit with the free wood provided. Things relaxes...the smoke kept the bugs at bay....it was cool from the ocean breeze that came on occassion through the campground....bliss!

Removed the chill of the night....

Dreamed of my Frau...oooohhhh....sweet dreams dear....

The ride continued the next day along the coast of Newfoundland..
along the unforgiving rugged coast...

These treacherous, but beautiful shores have several shipwrecks littered...here's one....

Notice the inborn lean of this tree..a testament of the continuous on shore blow this coast endures

Majestic Mountains

Snow speckled mountains..

Endless Roads..

Rugged Villages, fishing Villages....

Fly angling for Salmon...

This was Newfoundland.....come here....savor...induldge.....

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #123
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

T'WAS MAINE,USA; NEW BRUNSWICK; PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND; NOVA SCOTIA; NEWFOUNDLAND..and this is

LABRADOR

Took the ferry from St. Barbe, NFLD to Blanc Sablon, QC. The ferry lands on the Quebec province side of Labrador.

The good ship..MV APOLLO....

The stark, cold, smokey landscape of rugged, yet beautiful Labrador appears ...

Cold, misty harbor cove entrance...

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD>>>>
Old 07-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #124
Speed3
Aangenaam verdoofd

Oddometer: 447
Save travels thanks for the report. I'll be following you on line for now. We will be going about the same route in september.
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #125
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Wow...great RR and pictures. I would assume that when I see those pictures of Labrador today (Tuesday)---You are one day ahead. Correct??? I would assume it would take you some time to post these pictures and you are already couple of days down the road...

It sure looks like you've had some great weather so far...The sky is so blue and the air sure looks crisp...

Now..."Cod tongues?" What is that??? Fish? or actual tongue of a cow??? The food sure looks good---I think I'll go and get me a snack now.

Enjoy the your evenings around the camp fire---That picture of the fire in the evening is what dreams are made of...

Ride safe and looking forward to the next episode...

Hondachopper...
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #126
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
Finally, you've arrived at your destination--the thrill of the ride!! Will be keeping close eye on your daily ride report. Souse, cod fish tongue--wonder what they serve in Labrador!

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #127
deafPOPEYE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
OHHHH, Jeez! (Pah pah) You made it to the fullest of your dream. I have been following you all through and I am saddened with envy that I am not riding with you.
Continue sharing your excitement/experience with us!!!!

RIDE STRONGLY to FINISH!!!!

DeafPOPEYE

deafPOPEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #128
ruh roh
hey Yall

Oddometer: 296
wow that is strange your pic of time zones. One says 2:25, next is 3:55. Looks like they have Hour And HAlf time zones in Canada,
Old 07-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #129
scubasmith67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Great ride report. Keep it up!!
scubasmith67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #130
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

This has been the most arduous ride I have ever done in my life! Woke up this morning in L'Anse au Clair to a torrential rain strom that came through by a cold front. Forecast was that in the Blanc Sablon area rain, at times heavy will continue for three days. The weather pattern in collission with the coastal temperate zone and winds...booomm...rain. Looking at the internet weather forecasts for other areas due north: clear..sunny..cool, not wanting to linger around with three days of rain, I donned my heavy foul weather gear and off I went to meet my nemesis, the gravel road!

The rains came down pretty good, but I remained dry...the biggest beef I have is that my helmet visor continuously fogged up. There's nothing in the world that will prevent fogging from cold air, rain and warm breath. NOTHING! This was the most irritating thing having to continuously trying to wipe the fog off my inner visor. Opening it part way lets rain in and thus trickle inside before my eyes..splattering to my glasses.

Because of this inclement weather I missed or decided with regret visiting Point Amour Lighthouse, Canada's tallest and ggrrrrr Battle Harbour. I could not take pictures of the ride without ruining my camera, so waited until the weather cleared...so here it is........

Pictures don't do justice here.....

But close up...look at this...

These are marbles...I was riding on marbles. No tire, whether knobby, 50/50 will do.....MARBLES...
These roads have been freshly graded with these rocks, some redish, others gray....to a thickness of about 2-3 inches. Oh, yeah, nothing to it. You try riding the first road for 252 miles at 70 km/h...then you tell me. Seven(7) more to come..????

Besides the marbled roads...here's the beauty of wild Labrador I came to see..breaathtaking.....pure oxygen in the air....

Cairns or Nascopis are used as signposts......

Gravel and more gravel....

Oh, how I love thee O' gravel....

King Rock gravel....

Hey, don't look at the gravel...look at the beautiful woods!

OK, giving you a break from gravelsville. Getting gas..and notice that black blotch in the right frame....eh, the infamous BLACK FLY

Whenever I stopped: don the face net to keep these little pesky flies from entering my nostrils, ears...they like the wax, he...

Trucks leaving me in the dust!

Graders...clearing and surfacing the gravel road. You either love them or hate them, mostly hate them. They smoothen the road which cars have made a mess of, but the smoothing is deceiving. If you see the surface flat and clean.. a grader just passed over it. the surface is soft and beware of sinking in.

a better riding gravel where you can ride over the car tracks...

Wanna more gravel??, NO...well I suffered all day riding on this thing, so suffer with me...

Just one more..pleaseeeee....

Gotta watch our for these mini boulders too.....

Future short cut away from Carthwright where I am now. This is 85 km south of Cartwright. This will circumvent the 12 hour Ferry ride. I believe this will "kill" Cartwrights economy big time. SAD.../good for bikers though?

Wanna more GRAVEL...you sick of gravel....OK, I'll give you a break but through the rest of Labrador I will again gravelize you...

Arrived in Carthwright, Labrador.. the north-eastern most civilized city of Canada that one can reach by bike....before sucumbing to a Ferry ride to Goose Bay/ Happy Harbour and continue the g-r-a-v-e-l road..sorry!

The proud Village of Carthwright...

Dear Readers....I am staying here for 4 days, resting my weary body from the constant poundings, vibrations...buzzes in my hands, black flies. It was a hard days ride with constant vigilance..constant eye contact..nothing less. Am having several 5%ers tonight and sleep tomorrow till..???

On Saturday I'll be off again on the ferry for a 12 hour sail to the city of Goose Bay and Happy Valley, from there I will try to report again. So be on your toes for more.

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-25-2008 at 12:09 PM
Old 07-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #131
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
ohhhhh, gravel...gravel...gravel ohhhh, what a ride you're having. I'm feeling the pain you experienced and it's not all that pleasant. You had me in suspense. Love the pictures...absolutely far out!! Hang in there cuz we're with you all the way!!! Be safe and ride careful, man on the road!!

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #132
Scoop
runs with scissors

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruh roh
wow that is strange your pic of time zones. One says 2:25, next is 3:55. Looks like they have Hour And HAlf time zones in Canada,
Yup, Newfoundland does have a half hour off time zone. And they're proud of it....I think.

"....you can't sacrifice the dead" -----Jonnylotto

We are unable to imagine nothing, therefore we must imagine something.
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:02 AM   #133
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

This is the grand Hotel Cartwright by standard Northern Latidudes....

Lobby....

Foyer....

Front Desk counter.....

Grand Dinning Room.....

My daily table for 4 days..

My place of rest....

Had breakfast of Partridge berry and bakeapple jam. Bakeapple jam is internationally known as cloudberry and are Labrador's most highly prized berry. Absolutely delicious. From the land here, fresh water come many dietary items such as the above bakeapples, partridge berries and squashberries, blackberries. Lots of trout and salmon. Caribou and moose, while not available in southern Labrador, often make its way to the tables in many homes and is featured on some restaurant menus.

Main Street(Airport road) to the Hotel....mud road with gravel stones imbeded

Gas station across from Hotel....

Coin operated Laundromat inside...

View from my window.....Fog Bank

The staff here is absolutely darling. Knowing that I am deaf....word goes out. They're doing my laundry...make sure I am comfy...made sure that the CC on the TV works...and WiFi is in shape. Only 2 people operate this grand hotel. So far as a deaf person I have been treated like loyalty..very considerate and warm these people of LABRADOR..makes me want to cry!

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
Old 07-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #134
db DL1000
goober

Oddometer: 26
Excellent report, Sir. I found the Canadians of Quebec and Nova Scotia very accomodating when I traveled there decades ago....
db DL1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #135
beerjonny
Planning mode...

Oddometer: 231
Excelent job so far! I love seeing my own 'backyard' through the eyes of other travellers.

In fact, I saw you at the Irving the day you stopped for coffee during the rainy days just past Saint John New Brunswick. I recalled the paint job (I drove through the parking lot on a DRZ but was mid ride home and cold/wet).

Looking forward to the rest