User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2008, 05:27 AM   #1
SkaerE OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Equipping a DR650 for touring...

ok, so for a 2006 DR650... to set her up for longer range adventure touring... on a budget. ;)

1.) i know i need a bigger fuel tank - from what i can tell at www.justgastanks.com the IMS 4.9gal is the only one that will fit my year bike. (within my pricerange at least - the supertanker 30L would be rad... but $575?!? CRAZY!

2.) i know i'll need a better seat - corbin, or a rebuilt stocker i guess. (anyone have a used corbin? ;))

3.) windshield? needed for the highway? a bud of mine told me that a DL1000 screen might fit in place of the stocker. also, i read somewhere about the Buell headlight/flyscreen mod... does that actually improve high speed comfort or just look cool. ;)

4.) racks/bags - cheap way to go for these seems to be soft sided. inexpensive racks?

5.) GPS system.

6.) re-gear?

im missin something!
SkaerE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:42 AM   #2
braindead0
Head Fisherman

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaerE
ok, so for a 2006 DR650... to set her up for longer range adventure touring... on a budget. ;)

1.) i know i need a bigger fuel tank - from what i can tell at www.justgastanks.com the IMS 4.9gal is the only one that will fit my year bike. (within my pricerange at least - the supertanker 30L would be rad... but $575?!? CRAZY!

2.) i know i'll need a better seat - corbin, or a rebuilt stocker i guess. (anyone have a used corbin? ;))

3.) windshield? needed for the highway? a bud of mine told me that a DL1000 screen might fit in place of the stocker. also, i read somewhere about the Buell headlight/flyscreen mod... does that actually improve high speed comfort or just look cool. ;)

4.) racks/bags - cheap way to go for these seems to be soft sided. inexpensive racks?

5.) GPS system.

6.) re-gear?

im missin something!
Just picked up a DR last week for my wife, I think I can chime in on some of this ;-).

1.) I'm pretty sure I saw bigger tanks for under $300... can't remember were... hopefully someone will point ya in the right direction

2.) Yeah, nasty seat. I've not heard all that many good things about Corbins though.

3.) Several people have used spitfire universal fit screens. I think they run around $50 or so. My wife has a turbo city screen on her XT.. we're going to pick up the DR brackets and move it there. It's fairly large and provides tons of protection.

4.) The side covers on the DR don't go all the way back, and aren't the strongest. I think you'll need some support as well...

5.) check out gpscity.com and figure out what features you need/want first. In particular find out what you can't live without, what you would like..etc.. And use that to narrow down the list of GPS's. Don't forget the other expenses that go with it, cables (if needed), mount, mapping software..etc.

6.) I think you can safely go one tooth up on the front sprocket, that should be enough unless you plan on riding extra legal speeds for long periods.

Just my 2 cents ;-)
DoD #2223
braindead0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:21 AM   #3
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
1.) i know i need a bigger fuel tank - 5 gallons is equal to about 250 miles max. Where are you traveling that that would not be sufficient?

2.) i know i'll need a better seat - You should be able to find a corbin used.

3.) windshield- There are a lot of shield out there. I have one on my wifes bike that leaned into the rider too far though. The Buel set up would cure this.

4.) racks/bags - I had built a nice set of hard bags for my Vstrom- Pelicans- and rode it once took it off and sold them for some Ortlieb soft bags. I liked them much better on a trip to Texas- 3800 miles. Just don't like the added hard parts as part of the motorcycle. On a smaller bike I would even more like the soft bags. A plus is that they protect the bike without costing a great deal if you go down.

5.) GPS system- Don't buy Magellan- very poor after purchase service and my Magellan quite working all together after about a year and a half. I found out many of that model were doing the same thing. Try Edge.com for a good price.

6.) re-gear- Try Newenough.com

im missin something- maybe suspension setup depending on your weight, also rejetting for a cooler running bike.
:2008 DR650 :2009 Aprilia DorsoDuro
:2009 KLR 650 :more to come
ram1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:25 AM   #4
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaerE
I highly recommend Dirt Bagz racks and bags. Strong, light and very durable. I had the Happy Trail units on my DR originally, they were okay but needed some modification to fit properly, and even then they made getting the side covers off/on a pain in the butt. They are also heavier than you need for soft bags.

The Dirt Bagz system is (IMHO) the best for soft side-bags.

One comment - don't go crazy adding "stuff" to this bike (things like highway pegs and centre stands are totally unnecessary and just add weight). Touring on a 650 means trying to keep it as light as possible, it would be a shame to take a nice bike like the DR and turn it into an overweight Nimitz-class bike.

My $.02 anyway
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,342
DR650 Prep for Long Haul

You might gets some ideas from this thread on Horizons Unlimited ...

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...ong-haul-23847
'12 NC700X
GsVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:46 AM   #6
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
I did my first long trip (1500 miles in three days) without a windshield. After that I put a Parabellum on. Looks real dorky but is great for those long days. I have the Corbin seat and it's saved my butt numerous times - literally. IMS tank gives me 200 miles easy. Have the Dirt Bagz and a BBQ rack. Since most of the trips are on pavement with some dirt roads thrown in I'm running Metzeler Tourances. Works great. Longest day so far 685 miles. Longest trip just over 2500 in five days. Great back road tourer which will take on the Interstate if you absolutely must - but I hate Interstate on a motorcycle, any motorcycle.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
double_d
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
As for winshield, I picked up a mini-fairing from an early model dr650 ('91 I think). I works great, and even get about 4-5 mpg's better now. It's similar to the fairing on a klr except mounted to the headlight shroud instead of the frame. Something to look for on flebay or other online sources.
double_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #8
shoco
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
1. Fuel Tank: I bought my IMS tank from www.kientech.com. Good pricing, and good service from Jesse and his wife.

2. Seat: Corbin is fantastic, though mine buzzed just a bit at higher rpms. Also purchased through Kientech.

3. Windshield: I had the Spitfire. Eh. Very adjustable, and easy to take on and off. Cheap, too. Didn't really do what I wanted it to do, though. A lot of it depends on your size.

4. Bags: I have the soft bags from ortleib (can't remember the model, but if you really want it, I'll get it for you). Haven't used them yet, but they're waterproof, and supposedly very good. I also had rear guards put in place, which acted like paniers. I bought them off eBay. Good purchase, and I recommend them.

5. GPS: I used the windscreen as a mount for the suction cup thingy. I also used a lanyard to tie it to the handlebars in case it came off. Worked fine, but I recommend a proper bar mount.

6. Re-gear: I never did this, but if you are doing mosly high speed interstate touring, I would give it a shot. Lower RPM's at those speeds would be beneficial.

I also recommend the "BBQ rack", which I had. It's ugly, but really large, so:

a. you'll have more space to use for loading (obviously)
b. in the event of a drop, the rack protects your rear signals, since it's wider than they are.

Good luck!
shoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
shoco
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey
but I hate Interstate on a motorcycle, any motorcycle.
Aint that the truth!
shoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
tominboise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
I put the IMS tank on mine. I am going to add the Corbin, but for now, the gel seat with a sheepskin cover works pretty good. I did the Buell mod and added a Laminarlip to it. It works Ok, but I think it could be a lot better. I may add a spoiler to the lip. The problem is not so much the height, but the blast coming around the sides of the lip, as near as I can tell.

2005 SV650 - the naked yellow one,,,,
1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R65/80 G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Oddometer: 522
I have a Cee-Bailey screen on my dr, along with an IMS tank and a corbin seat. It sucks on interstate, but any dirtbike will to some degree. Also have the passenger pegs lowered so I can rest my feet back there when my legs get stiff. All in all, its not a bad setup for longish rides. My only luggage is a small tailcase and a wolfman tank bag, but thats not enough for more than a day ride.
DISCLAIMER: I do not represent the views of the United States Air Force, The Department of Defense, or any Agency alfiliated with the U.S government. Anything I say/post is my own thoughts and opinions unless referenced factual evidence.
AirForceDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,750
I have the MRA windscreen and really like it. Gets the wind blast off my chest, and I can keep my head in clean air. Adjustable, and looks good on the bike.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:14 AM   #13
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
DR touring

My 07 has a Sargent seat stock height which fit my 4.9 gal IMS tank. It's rear mounting brackets are slotted so to fit the stock tank too. The seat is a lot better allowing 500 mile plus days without effecting dirt ability. I have a "JustForBikes" screen that takes wind blast off the chest saving the arms. I've done 150 mile dirt/hwy miles with it fine. Sept 09 will leave Las Cruces for BMW ralley in Sipapu, NM for a 900 mile 4 day trip looping thru northern NM. My usaul ride is a Ducati ST2 so I'm not use to much fairing. Thought the DR would slow the pace down and see the scenery a little better. MT 21s are my tire of choice, but will switch back to the Trail Wings for the extended hwy ride. My friends ride GS1200s and a KTM 950, the MT21s get a little squirmy at higher speeds. Another modification has been 2" bar risers which help out more dirt wise and don't effect cruise comfort. These really help out in deep sand.
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #14
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 9,878
For longer road trips, I have my '00 DR650 set up with an IMS tank, Corbin saddle, Spitfire windscreen, Pelican 1520 cases on Moto Sports pannier racks and am currently running 16/48 gearing and IRC GP-1 tires for road trips. I have a Garmin 276C gps mounted with a RAM mount and use a ProTaper 7/8" KX high bend handlebar. I added a Powerlet outlet for a heated jacket liner or other electrical devices. I live 200 miles from the nearest freeway, so that is a non-issue for me, but riding at 70-80mph is no problem at all. This simple setup works great for touring through the mountains here or trips into Utah when I choose to leave my GS at home.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 09:38 AM
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #15
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,700
had a corbin and hated it. it's 1" shorter than stock and bows out in the front and hits your inner legs when your standing on the pegs. this forces you to stand up bow legged...no good! now have a sargent. taller, better shaped & more comfy. http://www.sargentcycle.com/suzwsdr650.htm order it with a topstitch not a welt!!!

i have a see thru 5 gallon ims tank. works great. first time you fill it make a line at each gallon, so you have a quick visual. bigdog's mod. i use the petcock that comes w/ tank. i replaced o-ring w/ thicker one from napa. no issues after 2 years. some use a yamaha one or keep stock & grind engine fins some. i use a wolfman enduro tank bag on the tank. about the only one that fits. small but works nicely for small items.

i have an ebay rear rack but that is not avail anymore. others are. i use a med. ortlieb dry duffel w/ rox straps on the rear rack. that holds my tent, pad, sleeping bag. i use a giant loop coyote bag for clothes and other gear. it sits over the rear seat ahead of the rack. it's bomber proof but more $ than dirtbagz but less than fatchances setup.

as far as gps garmin 60csx has always been the rugged gold standard for this kinda travel. screen is kinda small. i have one w/ ram mounts and touratech power cord to bagttery. i also just got a nuvi 500 (arriving tommorow) which i'll be testing. it has a bigger touch screen. you can't import other peoples tracks though directly (like you can on the 60) you need to run it through an program and convert it to a route. not a big deal, just and issue. another is when you go off route the 60 can turn off autorecalc route where as the 500 recalculates a new route to you your destination. not a huge issue either though. you might not even be folowing what others have done.

the 60 does not include maps (ie city navigator, you must buy them $100) the 500 does include city navigator and also includes topo maps (on the unit only, not on the computer). when you first register the 500, you download unit updates from garmin plus you download and install mapsource and city navigator on to you computer or netbook. currently guys are getting city navigator 2011.2 (on gps & computre). you can also install it on more than 1 computer as maps are locked to gps unit not computer.

500:
http://www.gosale.com/5010356/garmin...FYXV5wodwUQruw
start reading from hear about the 500 (550 does not include topo maps but does add ak & canada)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...118162&page=64

60:
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPS-60C.../dp/B000CSOXTO
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps

eakins screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 11:54 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote