Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #16
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Does he make them any smaller? Those things are huge. Being an experienced back country hiker I know that you do not need all the stuff half of you want to pack around.

They do look to be well made.
From reading the site.. he will custom make them to any size or shape you want.
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:31 AM   #17
billyt53
Phast Phossil

Oddometer: 593
Just did an install of Verns Worldbeater panniers to my GS last night. Ever so easy to fit and are VERY well made.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151534

Billy
billyt53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #18
st247
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by groop
I would like the Vern cases more if they offered a bigger left-side box and exhaust relocator.
That's one option look here

st247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:53 AM   #19
rud_dog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Vern's worldbeaters rock!

When it came to panniers for my 1150ADV, I looked, pondered and generally cogitated over all the common options...... from ridiculously overpriced, dodgy racks (QR), flimsy biscuit tins to 'austrian exotica' .

A very, very knowledgeable GS technician (Steptoe) was doing some work on my bike. Naturally the subject of travel and panniers came up, he showed me his pair of Vernatechs , very well made, lightweight, incredibly strong with no nasty quick release catches to let theifs hoof it with your kit.

A few emails to Vern, and I trundled off up to Chester to get some fitted. The man is an absolute gem, he was thoughtful enough to get a huge butty in for my lunch, and kept me filled with coffee and great banter all afternoon while he expertly fitted my pannier system (and also fixed a couple of other things on my bike).

Seriously, if you want the best, get them 'handmade in the shed'

http://www.projectvnd.com/index.htm

Vern has posted these all over the world, having met him, seen them, used them, I know why these are in such high demand.

rud_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #20
tsiklonaut OP
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
Thumb

Done some Ks with them now, mostly gravel and I can tell more about them.

Waterproofness: they are completely waterproof after hours of riding in the pouring rain. Water didn't get in even when washing with pressure-washer.

Integrity and bombproofness: have done offroad, with some slow and medium speed falls - the corner cutout does the job, just some scratches and dents, unlike ZEGAS that my mate got twisted on fall (the "Achilles heel" corner of the square shaped boxes). Also bike has ticked over couple of times from sidestand onto the tarmac and panniers aren't affected or bent.
No mounting bit or bolt hasn't loosened up or broken on carrying more than 10kg of stuff on each panniers over Estonian potholed and corrugated smaller tar and dirt roads.

Finish: the anodizing quality is absolute top noch compared to the ZEGAs for example that already have it peeling off and corroding on damaged spots, and mate of mine is amazed that after this abuse mine are still mint! So don't be fooled by "anodizing" many manufacturers advertize, it can be seriously crap (just a thin almost non-existant layer on Zegas for example), also painting or varnishing is mostly short-term solution. So IMHO a good quality anodizing is the way to go for long term usage w/o annoying aluminium corrodation inside the panniers making your stuff silver-dirty, your food poisonous or outside the pannier looking old and collecting dirt.

Capacity: haven't calculated precicely but they are more than 40L each. Roughly calculating the r/h side is around 48-50 liters and l/h exhaust-cutout side is around 45 liters. And with that relatively huge volume the width of the bike is down less than a metre - 97.5cm to be precise.

Aerodynamics: fuel consumption has stayed the same. I do around 100-120kph on gravel, which is optimum speed for my GS. While my previous boxes did around +0.1 to +0.3L per 100km fuel consumption rise with those speeds. With Worldbeaters there's no apparent difference whether the boxes are on or off - Vern's wind tunnel tests obviously start to pay off(?) I'll let you know the autobahn tests when I ('m forced to) get there...

Pillon comfort - no restrictions for legs or comfort limits - Kariina rather likes them and feels more secure. Fixing some softer stuff on the panniers will make them nice comfty hand-supports which makes the rear seat rather desirable place to be.

The only minor (actually my own) con I've found so far: although I already have 4 tie-downs on each pannier I maybe should have ordered additional ones in the middle, since I often place my tripod on the pannier for short photo-trips out in the weekends and I'm lazy enough to tie it with 2 ties as a lazy bugger. But then again with 2 tie downs fixed it's more scure and my tripod won't fly away when the one belt decides to broke. So maybe I better get used to fixing it with 2 belts Anyways I'd recommend geting decent 4 tiedowns on each pannier. You can put loads of stuff on the pannier whether for very long trips or for just silly-shaped things to transport that are too long to put in the pannier or you can just use soft stuff in waterproof rolls on the panniers for additional comfort for your pillon.

Shortly: love 'em!

Does my bum look big through wide-ange lens?

Actually they're less than 1 metre wide

Front.

The exhaust cutout side of the pannier. Fits me nice sounding Leo-Vince ALU exhaust very nicely, and enhances the all-silver looks

With rider (erm... pillon) placed on the bike, just for the perspective.

Cheers
tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #21
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
Weight? Tires?

Could not find weights listed on web site...also what brand are those tires?

They look VERY well made...but I am slowly learning, off road more is not always better..

Thanks..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #22
tsiklonaut OP

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Could not find weights listed on web site...also what brand are those tires?
Not weighted them, but they're light per their capacity. Will let you know if I get a chance to weight them.

Tires are Heidenau K60. After I've spread the word they've become so popular that Heidenau has decided to make 150 & 110 sizes from them (correct size for the GS) Still not available in US tho, but probably will be if someone wants to get rich by creating their dealer network there

They are around 1.5-2X cheaper than TKC80, similar purpose and last longer than TKC80.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:49 AM   #23
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb Details

Mine arrived yesterday. I'll start on the job to attach them tomorrow.
The attention that has gone into packing and shipping is just stunning. Notice how the parts are
held togther with strips, with cardboard placed in between to avoid any cratches! And this part was
placed inside a pannier, inside the box. Still the padding and attention. It must have
take a day's work just to wrap it all up

I have 11 inch panniers with 6 cm lid, and the left one is 4.97 kg.

I really look forward to attaching them to Bamsefar.
[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #24
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
Nice.. Thanks for Weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk

The attention that has gone into packing and shipping is just stunning. Notice how the parts are
held togther with strips, with cardboard placed in between to avoid any cratches! And this part was
placed inside a pannier, inside the box. Still the padding and attention. It must have

[TaSK]
OEM BMW box at 14 pounds these at 10.97 pounds or 3 pounds each lighter. Now the weight of that flat stock luggage rack might weigh a lot more than tubular BMW rack.

Damn those Heidenau K60 tires look good! Of course we can't get them...
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #25
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
Great looking workmanship

Ask Vern when next you see him if he'd like to make a windshield for the HP2!! Bruce
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #26
tsiklonaut OP

Laugh

Quote:

I'm sure you'll love yours!

I have the 11 inch ones as well. Alu is light indeed. The frames aren't "full circle" like Touratech's and many others have, thus saving weight considerably w/o sacrificing their strenght:

Here're Vernatech frames on my bike (goes well with the exhaust extension pipe too).

TaSK if you get a chance maybe weight the frames too before you mont them on - would be interesting to know the weight of those frames

tsiklonaut screwed with this post 07-23-2008 at 09:03 AM
Old 07-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #27
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiklonaut
TaSK if you get a chance maybe weight the frames too before you mont them on - would be interesting to know the weight of those frames
Ooops - sorry, saw this too late. Their installed by now.

But what about the heat shield? Will I need it with stock exhaust?

[TaSK]
Old 07-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #28
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,319
Quote:

[TaSK]
Waiting for the install thread

If I break my jesse's these are next
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #29
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
Those are a nice looking set of panniers!
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #30
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Thumb How much?

I've placed a 30 liters water tank inside the right pannier. The lid doesn't close, but that is because the handle on the tank.
There is a lot of space around the tank.

[TaSK]