User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #46
Boottrac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Tool & Die shop owner comment

Just by looking at the bends they where done profesionaly at a sheet metal shop with an accurate pressbrake set up. Minimum inside bend radius for 316SS would be .5T (Thickness), so if he is using .09 material you would have a .045 Inside bend radius for standard die wipe, and a press break is nuetral or 50% stress loading in the bend.
If you do not see any cracking or Orange Peel or cold spot from stretching the material is as strong as if it was flat.
A good observation but lack of knowledge.
Boottrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #47
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny
They sure look nice.... did the signal light stalks have to be shortened? Looks like it in pic#4
Yes. And that is, in fact, a problem. Maybe not if you're riding in the jungle. But in traffic it is (IMHO).
The problem is that even from a relative modest angle, the indicators are invisible.
That is, if you are in the left lane and have a car behind you in the right lane, he will not (be able to) see your indicator as you are bliking to the right. I don't like that.

As we speak I am adding two yellow LEDs to the lid of my panniers to rectify this situation.
Yes, I will upload some pictures as soon as I am done.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:06 AM   #48
tsiklonaut OP
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny
did the signal light stalks have to be shortened? Looks like it in pic#4
Yes, you're correct, turn signals are shortened (the conversion kit comes with the panniers) since those panniers stick very close to the bike keeping the mass of the panniers more centralized (i.e. compare it to those panniers that, in comparison, are IMO waste of (width-) space and also more load stress to the frames when the panniers stick too far out).

Never had any problems with those slightly shortened turn signals. Maybe because I'm too polite rider in the traffic and always give signs on the right time not to confuse other people?

Ride safe!
tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:09 AM   #49
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiklonaut
Never had any problems with those slightly shortened turn signals. Maybe because I'm too polite rider in the traffic and always give signs on the right time not to confuse other people?

Ride safe!
The problem isn't that they are shorter, but rather that the panniers are "too" long. The indicators are only visible from straight behind, not even from a modest angle.

But don't get me wrong: I love mine. With the LEDs installed I'll love them even more. If at all possible

[TaSK]
Old 01-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #50
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 578
tail lights with verns..

I should be getting my verns in a few weeks and like the idea of your mod.

Would be really interested in seeing the results and maybe a list of things/ description of what one may require and do in order to do something similar.

Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #51
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Thumb Real Soon Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2
Would be really interested in seeing the results and maybe a list of things/ description of what one may require and do in order to do something similar.

A teaser:

If you look carefully, you'll see the four LEDs installed in each lid. I'm done with the internal install.
Now I need to get power from the bike. To yellow LEDs on each lid close to the bike and two red ones further out.
Yes, I know it makes my GS look like a GoldWing

Picture taken in Trento, Sud Tyrol (Alto Adige), on Saturday. It was -10 C (14F) when we left Bolzano an hour earlier.

[TaSK]
Old 01-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #52
Dirtmoover
Just a big boy

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiklonaut
Yes, you're correct, turn signals are shortened (the conversion kit comes with the panniers) since those panniers stick very close to the bike keeping the mass of the panniers more centralized (i.e. compare it to those panniers that, in comparison, are IMO waste of (width-) space and also more load stress to the frames when the panniers stick too far out).

Ride safe!

Hello.

Instead of reducing them, you could consider just to move them!
I did that when I bought the rack and cases so I could get 1200ADV bags on my 1150 ...... but on my bike they are a little wide when there are no bags on it ....... but again it does nothing when the bags always are mounted on the bike as they will be on yours ? .........
Safety before beauty

Old 01-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #53
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmoover
Safety before beauty
Hei til deg i Skandinavia

Absolutely.

The panniers came with a "shortener" and I installed it. Moving them might have been a nice alternative.
If my LED-approach fail for some reason I'll look into it.

[TaSk]
Old 01-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #54
Dirtmoover
Just a big boy

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
Hei til deg i Skandinavia

[TaSk]
Tak for hilsenen fra Toscana
Grazie per aver scelto di saluto dalla Toscana
Does the Italien line make any sense ?
Old 01-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #55
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmoover
Grazie per aver scelto di saluto dalla Toscana
Does the Italien line make any sense ?
It depends on what you wanted to say

I didn't like the idea of making holes in the lids, but after some weeks of riding, there has been no leak what so ever. So I'm ready to start on the bike side of things.

[TaSK]
Old 03-05-2009, 03:00 AM   #56
TarmacTraveller
FastFossil

Oddometer: 13
Vern's Worlbeaters

This is only the second time that I've posted anything on this site so please forgive me if I've put it in the wrong place.

I'd just like to give Vern and his Worldbeater's a wrap.

I scoured the internet and in particular this site and the ADV site looking for what I thought would be the best panniers to suit my 1100gs.
I looked at several options some of them dearer and some cheaper. Fortunately a good mate of mine had ordered a set of Verns so I was able to see first hand the quality and workmanship in these fine boxes while I was still doing the reasearch.

I will admit that there was a particular company down here in Australia that seemed to manufacture a fairly good product so I contacted them and they did come back to with information, the second time I contacted them ( via e-mail) I got no reply and to this day still don't have return corespondance from them.

Talking with my mate who had purchased Vern's for his adventurer he said why don't we see if these will fit your bike... we did... and they didn't, the problem was that the Staintune aftermarket exhaust was some what longer than the standard pipe.
So an email to Vern and we discussed the options I had, and while Vern suggested that I have the Staintune cut down in length it wasn't something that I was happy with . Another e-mail and I explained that I was pretty handy with a tape measure and could do drawings that said it was off the mates place once again, whip off the pannier frame from the exhaust side on his bike, hold the pannier in place make a couple of marks with a pencil and then produced a drawing , took a couple of photographs and another e-mail to Vern.
I was pressed for time and explained that I was off to Tasmanian for a couple of weeks with four other mates and wondered if I'd get the boxes in time, that said I rang Vern and it didn't seem to be a problem.... and it wasn't.
The boxes arrived the week before I was due to head off. An hour and half on a Friday night and we had them fitted.

Now the real wrap here is that not only did I get the boxes in time it's the fact that Vern put himself out to make sure everything happened , he even had to do a round trip of 200 mile, in the snow, to get some extra plate for the construction.

The other wrap is that I recieved a quality product , the welds are something to be seen, the hinges a work of art , the clasp are gutsy, and how on earth he gets into the folds inside the lids to bolt every together is beyond me !
The stainless steel mounting brackets are something else again and another work of art. While I'm talking works of art... you should see how these boxes are packed for transport, it must take him as long to pack them as it does to make them. Delivery time from the UK to Australia.... 4 days and you can track them.

Two weeks, 4600k's in which we had rain, covered some dirt roads that should have been classified as a nuclear dust zone and I can attest that the boxes didn't let in not one drop of water nor any dust that I assure you was finer than talcompowder.

I can't recommend these boxes and the man that manufactures them highly enough. If your looking for panniers that are not only big enough to take everything you need and a product that will pobably last as long as your GS these have to be what you need.
Drop him a line, give him a call, nothing seems to much trouble.

And when you consider I'm still waiting for a return mail from another supplier.....

A huge thanks Vern, thanks for all your efforts mate.

Paul.
TarmacTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #57
Some-Young-Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I really like hearing stories like yours. It's always a pleasure dealing with good people and good businesses.

Do you have any pictures that you can post?

Thanks, SYG

2004 BMW R1150GS

ATGATT Rider

"At the age of thirteen I experienced an epiphany when I realized that liberalism is nothing more than a mental disorder. I've been clear headed and self motivated since and this, more than anything else, has served me well." SYG
Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #58
wolvertone
Save a mile-Kill a metre!

Oddometer: 171
Just had to chime in. It seems most people only make an effort to bash a bad transaction.

Rearely does someone take the time to say good things about a company. Sounds like from his efforts he deserved a positive write up, which you've clearly given him.

Good on ya...

Steve

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1990 BMW K100LT (parting out)
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
wolvertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #59
Kit_McConnico
Regular Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
+1 on the pics request. I really like the look of the world beaters and from everything I've read they're bulletproof. If you don't mind my asking what might one expect to pay for such a fine piece of kit?
Kit_McConnico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #60
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,316
Keepin' the love going in the existing Vern thread.. merged