ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #16
rob23 OP
on the pipe

Oddometer: 1,809
Tracks are the most important! d'oh! Don't delete that good info!

I guess you'll just have to go ride it again in order to record more data !

I can make a base map provided we get some good tracks. That way instead of downloading the route, you can just use the AT base map. Need to proof the routes first though.

In the mean time don't be so cheap and buy a US Topo Base Map from Garmin.
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #17
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,127

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #18
KnightofNi
teh 1337 5uxx0r

Oddometer: 600
i'm torn between a street map and a topo map. it would be great to have one that had streets and topo information, but for me i think the streets are a bit more important. i can tell how steep the hill is by eyeing it up, and i have an altimeter now too. i never really needed that info before (then again i have been on the street mostly anyways)

also, i'm scottish, i can't help being cheap.

actually, i would love to ride it again, but with a riding partner, and not have to ride all the way out burning knobbies. I think i can remember where the spots are that I stopped at for the most part. I just need to find a way to add a waypoint to the .gpx file you created. i might just switch to google earth plus for that.

if you do it and you find my gas can and water bottle please let me know. the crappy bungee cords that were holding them in place can be left to rot, they won't be missed.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #19
KnightofNi
teh 1337 5uxx0r

I didn't screw up as much as i thought i did. I saved the tracks, but without your waypoints. i also somehow deleted the tracks from home to almost all the way through the state park.

i only added a few waypoints to mark places i stopped while on the trail. i didn't really stop for much along the way or even to take pics. here's a couple that i did take though.

on ridge rd

they even tell you that it is going to be rough

somewhere in MD

random winery along my fav VA dirt rd (that's not on the ride) Axeline Rd.
it was just a pretty area

and the .gpx file of most of the trip.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx PA-VA822.gpx (1.27 MB, 485 views)
Old 09-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #20
tuckerman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
tott's gap rd.

I am having trouble downloading the waypoints. Can you cross the ridge from Tott's Gap on the DWG side to the Portland side? I'm sure it's possible, just not sure how and don't want to do it solo if I don't know the way. Old maps show that it's still connected somehow. Thanks.
tuckerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:08 AM   #21
Jaseun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
can someone point me to a faq or a primer on how to save routes/tracks? I have several garmins, a GPSmap60, streetpilot 2730 and a foretrex. I'm running mapsource 6.10.2

I want to upload my own tracks/routes here. -Jason
Jaseun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #22
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofNi
i'm torn between a street map and a topo map. it would be great to have one that had streets and topo information, but for me i think the streets are a bit more important.
Topo has streets on it down to little FS roads and stuff. The only thing it will not do is autoroute and act like a regular car navigation system on your handheld. For that you do need City.
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #23
KnightofNi
teh 1337 5uxx0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseun
can someone point me to a faq or a primer on how to save routes/tracks? I have several garmins, a GPSmap60, streetpilot 2730 and a foretrex. I'm running mapsource 6.10.2

I want to upload my own tracks/routes here. -Jason
i just import mine to mapsource and save as a .gpx file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXedupONE
Topo has streets on it down to little FS roads and stuff. The only thing it will not do is autoroute and act like a regular car navigation system on your handheld. For that you do need City.
thanks!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #24
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob23
ok, 400 plus views and 115 downloads on a proven route with tracks and no replies?

+ 1 more download for me. Opened directly into mapsource with double click on your linked gpx file but not when I first right clicked and save the gpx file.... Anyway, I will give these routes a try over the next several months, and some later this month on my WV Fall Tour with my big bro. I'm familiar with the paved in a lot of this area, and the Md Greenbriar forest area.

QUESTION: Since GPX files don't retain route preferences how can I be sure my re-calculate captures YOUR route and not Garmins? My Garmin MapSource app as two route preference settings 1) calculate either 'faster time" or 'shorter distanct' and 2) "Road Preference" Prefer Minor Roads...............Prefer Highways.

I assume I should set these to shorter distance and minor roads and your frequent waypoints will force my recalc to be very close to your route?

Anyway, thanks a billion, it'll be awhile before I check all these out, but I have added them to the arsenal..

"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #25
rob23 OP
on the pipe

All my roues are built for "off-road" routing (even if it's on road) and I suggest you turn "auto calc" off. Setting these two options in the routing (ie: off-road and auto calc off) will ensure you ride the intended route.

good luck!
Old 10-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #26
Holden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
Great Routes!

Did part of the WV loop the other weekend. Fun ride!
"Now I listen to my sweetheart and I listen to my thirst. I don't spend time listening to other peoples words. Sometimes they're right most times the reverse. They say the best is for the best when the best's for the worse" - Josh Ritter
Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #27
Knute Dunrvnyet
marooned in realtime

Oddometer: 1,702
I have done all of this, 'way 'way back in the late '80s,w/my XL600R, from Unadilla MX track, NY; with just pages torn out of each state DeLorme Atlas. When my brother and I rode Dave Coombs' Blackwater DualSport rides in the early '90s- he was waxing poetic about how good was the riding. I sez, I been trying to get ye down here for 5 years, yff, but ye won't believe me. [found burke's garden all by myself...]

Sorry none of it is electronically documented; I am working on it.

Part of advriding is the bumpy, heaved, crowned, tar-and-stone, township roads that make up the 'capillaries' of America.

We always loved the 'Dushore" road, from Hollenbeck, PA to Dushore ,PA, on the tar twnshp road, as per the PA DOT map, no GPS: whatta roller-coaster ride, chasin' each other![he had an XT600.] We'd go back and do it again, just for fun.

Back then: I had to go to the freaking local library to research the Dolly Sods, then I went out and found 'em. [Nat'l Forest maps helped, there.]

'Same with VA16, between Tazewell and Hungry Mother.

Now, from what I have read on this website, it's all much more well-known.

Colorado, as most awesome riding as it is, is just different. When I can't get 'Out West,' [which is most years,] the Appalachians fulfill the need.

Don't discount paper maps to get the bigger picture...

Knute

[advwhiner since 1973]
"Ride Hard, You can Rest when you Die."- Emmett Watkins, #245, 1958-2005
Knute Dunrvnyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:36 AM   #28
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,116
Here is another contribution to the PA dirt routes. This is part of a ride I did this summer. It goes from Whipple's Dam (close to State College) east to Laurelton. It is almost entirely dirt, and it is the actual track. There is at least one section that I went back and forth a bit trying to find a road, only to discover that it was closed at the time.

Whipples Dam to Rt 325.gpx
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #29
rob23 OP
on the pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad
Here is another contribution to the PA dirt routes. This is part of a ride I did this summer. It goes from Whipple's Dam (close to State College) east to Laurelton. It is almost entirely dirt, and it is the actual track. There is at least one section that I went back and forth a bit trying to find a road, only to discover that it was closed at the time.

Attachment 197966
Thanks! There are a ton of dirt roads along your tracks. How many of them are gated/avaiable to ride?

I may have to update my PA route to include this area. Looks like you spend a lot of time noodeling around there.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #30
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob23
Thanks! There are a ton of dirt roads along your tracks. How many of them are gated/avaiable to ride?

I may have to update my PA route to include this area. Looks like you spend a lot of time noodeling around there.
Actually, most of them are open to the public most of the time. I am from Centre Hall originally, so I khow that area pretty well.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote