Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
Bleh OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
DRZ Vapor dashboard install issues

Hi all

I finally got around to putting a motard kit on my DRZ400E and I'm currently trying to get the Vapor speedo and instrument dashboard sorted.

At the moment, I have the left and right indicators working fine, but the high beam indicator is working in reverse, i.e. is on for low beam and off for high beam, which is annoying but not a deal breaker. I can't get the neutral light to work at all.

How I currently have it wired is from the Vapor into the loom that was connected to the stock speedo.

Vapor - wiring loom
Dark blue - black (left turn)
Light green - Light green (right turn)
Black - black/white
Dark green - orange
Orange - yellow (high beam)
Light blue - blue/black (neutral?)

Any input appreciated.

Cheers
Bleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:12 AM   #2
saintell
Monarchs #30

Oddometer: 350
Just swap the wires over that go to the back of the globe might work,cannot help with the neutral light,maybe the globe or whatever that is the neutral light,try putting one of the other wires on it as a test,cheers Nev
Old Yesterday, 03:19 AM   #3
rvt
Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer: 796
LEDs or normal bulbs? LED need correct polarity. In which case, what Saintell said.
Had a quick look at some drz wiring diagrams on line. Could only find SM ones, the colors were not entirely clear.

Bike wiring:
High beam lamp: black/white negative, black/yellow positive.
Neutral lamp: orange/? positive, blue/black negative.

This week's ride: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Vcz6Icqrhsbbpq
rvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM   #4
Bleh OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvt View Post
LEDs or normal bulbs? LED need correct polarity. In which case, what Saintell said.
Had a quick look at some drz wiring diagrams on line. Could only find SM ones, the colors were not entirely clear.

Bike wiring:
High beam lamp: black/white negative, black/yellow positive.
Neutral lamp: orange/? positive, blue/black negative.
I've tried every possible combination of wires without luck. I also tested the neutral on one of the globes that i know works and it still didn't light up.

I've emailed trailtech, will see what they come back with. These things are not going to stop me riding, they're just mildly annoying that they aren't working as expected.
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM   #5
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Just curious, what other function do these thing have?
trips and so on.
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:35 AM   #6
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateman View Post
Just curious, what other function do these thing have?
trips and so on.
Lots:
http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/vapor
Old Today, 03:11 PM   #7
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleh View Post
I've tried every possible combination of wires without luck. I also tested the neutral on one of the globes that i know works and it still didn't light up.

I've emailed trailtech, will see what they come back with. These things are not going to stop me riding, they're just mildly annoying that they aren't working as expected.
Did the neutral light work on the original dash? I'd be having a play with the test light to make sure that a) the original wire has power & b) that the power is coming through your connection.

Keep in mind that Trailtech is US.... Are their DRZ's wired differently?

I'm about to hook up a dash to my Trailtech Vector on a TTR.... The joining will be simple - cut the original wires between the dash & connection; do the same with the Vector dash & splice them together........ a total of 6 wires to join.

It's been a long time since I had my DRZ loom intact; wouldn't one of the connections to the original dash be for basic power? In which case a connection to that one would not help.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292

Gadget678 screwed with this post Today at 03:16 PM
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:14 PM   #8
Bleh OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
Did the neutral light work on the original dash? I'd be having a play with the test light to make sure that a) the original wire has power & b) that the power is coming through your connection.

Keep in mind that Trailtech is US.... Are their DRZ's wired differently?

I'm about to hook up a dash to my Trailtech Vector on a TTR.... The joining will be simple - cut the original wires between the dash & connection; do the same with the Vector dash & splice them together........ a total of 6 wires to join.

It's been a long time since I had my DRZ loom intact; wouldn't one of the connections to the original dash be for basic power? In which case a connection to that one would not help.
Yeah, the US DRZ E is definitely different, because they aren't street legal and don't have the digital speedo. And yes, the neutral light was working before.

I noticed when I put everything back together and tried to start my bike that it wouldn't work with the stand down, so I suspect that maybe it's one of the other 3 wires that I thought was just for power. Ran out of time, will have to wait for next weekend to play around with it again.
Old Today, 07:26 PM   #9
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleh View Post
Yeah, the US DRZ E is definitely different, because they aren't street legal and don't have the digital speedo. And yes, the neutral light was working before.

I noticed when I put everything back together and tried to start my bike that it wouldn't work with the stand down, so I suspect that maybe it's one of the other 3 wires that I thought was just for power. Ran out of time, will have to wait for next weekend to play around with it again.
Disconnect/bypass the sidestand cutout switch, they are a menace. They go to a connection under the seat from memory, just put a loop of wire across it to short it and remove the actual switch itself.
Old Today, 07:31 PM   #10
Bleh OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECKS-Man View Post
Disconnect/bypass the sidestand cutout switch, they are a menace. They go to a connection under the seat from memory, just put a loop of wire across it to short it and remove the actual switch itself.
Yeah, I'll get onto that next weekend. For now I just have a cable tie holding the switch in.