Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #2566
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Check your speedo connections as there are two three pin plugs and you may have connected them the wrong way, try swapping them.
I did a a couple of mods on the fairing plate to prevent the vibe issue you experienced. Added a support angle and trimmed the edge to give clearance to the fairing and used some fuel hose with a split down it and silastic to edge it. I figured it would absorb a side impact and stop the plate puncturing the fairing.

Attachment 297519
Will look at the speedo plugs again and also check for loose pins as Ross said. I know I have a spare 2 pin plug that I'm not 100% sure was spare before, but I have traced the wires from the flasher switch to the right connection in the main loom and everything else works so it probably is a spare. The only other 2 pin plug is from the starter button and that is connected right.

On the vibration, it was the plate hitting the left side of the fairing that was causing it on mine. Have put in something to stop the vibration temporarily but will shave some off the plate next weekend to stop the contact altogether. the hose to help against piercing the fairing is a good idea.

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:40 AM   #2567
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Quote:
Cockpit is taking shape, fabricated a plate to mount my usual shit without wrecking any of the standard Rally Raid Dashboard, it just lays over the top and picks up existing fasteners. Wired in both GPS's , UHF and fitted Ballards heated grips plus 12volt power outlet hard wired direct to the battery, Mirrors are dual star ones from Ballards.
Risers are Rbotts an ADV inmate, as the fairings push the ignition block back 10mm I found I needed a longer link arm for the Scotts stabiliser and Rbott is getting one for me from the US. Still waiting for my Touratech racks so I can do the back end but Catman bought his up on Saturday and we scoped out how we could mount tool tubes on the racks. James gets married next weekend so I guess I have to give it a break,

Attachment 297520
Nice. I fitted the Scotts plate that holds the tower around the ignition block. I only had to file the hole back 5 mm and it slotted over the ignition block nicely. How much have you raised your bars by? Mine are up 17mm with the Scotts fitment but I would like some more.

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Old 10-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #2568
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paves View Post
Nice. I fitted the Scotts plate that holds the tower around the ignition block. I only had to file the hole back 5 mm and it slotted over the ignition block nicely. How much have you raised your bars by? Mine are up 17mm with the Scotts fitment but I would like some more.
The Rbotts set up I bought is 2.5 inch rise as I am 6ft 5in and I have also put on fastway pegs in the low position even though they only drop about 1/2 inch every bit counts.
Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #2569
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,579
Quote:
I still can't get my flashers to work since I put the RR fairing on - no response whatsoever.

Can someone confirm there is no separate relay on a 2010 690r? and has anyone got any ideas for a fix?

Fuse is ok, wiring looks ok, neither side lights up at all, switch should be ok because not touched, oem flashers don't work and nor do the new leds on the fairing. I'm stuck

I had problems on the Tiger with some LED lights not creating sufficient resistance, and causing electrical feedback.
Detlef gave me help sorting it out and fixing it.
Ended up buying some resistors from Dick Smith. They are about 50c each, so I got a range - 1 ohm to 10 ohm.
At one end of the range there was no effect.
At the other the resistor got over hot.
The Goldilocks principle worked and one of the mid range resistors works just fine!

I assume you've got an 'electronic' flasher relay? So did I, but it didn't fix the problem at all.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:37 AM   #2570
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
I had problems on the Tiger with some LED lights not creating sufficient resistance, and causing electrical feedback.
Detlef gave me help sorting it out and fixing it.
Ended up buying some resistors from Dick Smith. They are about 50c each, so I got a range - 1 ohm to 10 ohm.
At one end of the range there was no effect.
At the other the resistor got over hot.
The Goldilocks principle worked and one of the mid range resistors works just fine!

I assume you've got an 'electronic' flasher relay? So did I, but it didn't fix the problem at all.
Thanks Ray but even with an oem flasher connected there is nothing. And Rally Raid, who supplied the LED flashers, have assured me that if only the front flashers are chnaged to LED they work, and I have no reason not to believe them. It must be the relay suddenly packing up, or more likely I've broken a connection somewhere.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:24 AM   #2571
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Will the real 690 Adventure stand up
Looking the horn.
Still waiting for longer link arm for scotts damper, touratech rack and tool tubes to go on the bottom of them, back rack of some sort, B&B case saver, 16 tooth sprocket, billet top bar clamp and thats about it , got no f*****n money left for anything else.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #2572
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Very very nice

Did you do anything to stop the front fender rubbing on the radiator?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #2573
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Quote:
Did you do anything to stop the front fender rubbing on the radiator?
I am changing the front fender to the earlier enduro version as I believe the wind catches these new type and bends the front down, but if there is signs of rub with the replacement I will spacer the rear mount bolts to adjust the back down to give clearance, at least that worked on my 990 with the same guard.
Andy

Old 11-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #2574
-KATO-
'690R'

Oddometer: 859
Thumb

Looks great Andy.
Time to get it dirty..

Quote:
Originally Posted by james928
Great looking machine, enjoy your new shiny KTM. I tried catching the old dingo on one during the sunny coast ride. It was a great bike, the only thing faster was KATO on his well worn and amazingly sideways in 4th 690.

-KATO- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #2575
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,579
Quote:
I am changing the front fender to the earlier enduro version as I believe the wind catches these new type and bends the front down, but if there is signs of rub with the replacement I will spacer the rear mount bolts to adjust the back down to give clearance, at least that worked on my 990 with the same guard.
Andy
I'm waiting on a replacement front mudguard. Been told that the e guard isn't available at present, so I'm getting an R guard (maybe today??).
The R guard interferes with the radiator? I need some spacers to lower it a cm or so?
Shit, bugger, bum!

BTW, the 690R ADV - hope it goes as well as it looks, 'cause that looks fantastic.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #2576
grimripper
1pissanter

Oddometer: 199
Putting the 'P' back into Passion.

Quote:
Looking the horn.
Still waiting for longer link arm for scotts damper, touratech rack and tool tubes to go on the bottom of them, back rack of some sort, B&B case saver, 16 tooth sprocket, billet top bar clamp and thats about it , got no f*****n money left for anything else.

Nicely Ponkinised Andy .

But we'd expect no less from you eh ?

grimripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #2577
hahnelw
Just Mapping Another Ride

Oddometer: 591
Very nice. Looking at the Rally Raid kit myself so its great to see one put together in oz.

Cheers

WH

Quote:
Looking the horn.

Mile marker 203 The gas gauge leanin on the edge of E and I'll be damned if the rain ain't pourin down Theres somethin smokin underneath the hood Its a bangin and a clangin and it cant be good And its another 50 miles to the nearest town
hahnelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #2578
BillieBogan
Banned

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnelw View Post
Very nice. Looking at the Rally Raid kit myself so its great to see one put together in oz.

Cheers

WH

Mate,

the bikes looks fantastic, well done, can't wait to see it up close...

BTW, is that your training Pushy with the lil basket on the front to hold yr wet wipes ???
BillieBogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #2579
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,728
[QUOTE=El Ponkin;17212206]Will the real 690 Adventure stand up
Looking the horn.

Work out more than a new 990 Andy?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #2580
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
I'm waiting on a replacement front mudguard. Been told that the e guard isn't available at present, so I'm getting an R guard (maybe today??).
The R guard interferes with the radiator? I need some spacers to lower it a cm or so?
Shit, bugger, bum!

BTW, the 690R ADV - hope it goes as well as it looks, 'cause that looks fantastic.
Ray, the stock setup doesn't allow the fender to touch the radiator guard but for the Rally Raid fairing kit I need to add extra spacers to the rear fender fittings to tilt the fender so it doesn't interfere.