www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #2582
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paves View Post
Ray, the stock setup doesn't allow the fender to touch the radiator guard but for the Rally Raid fairing kit I need to add extra spacers to the rear fender fittings to tilt the fender so it doesn't interfere.
Thanks for the heads up.

Still waiting for my parts.......

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #2583
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 739
Hey Andy - that looks fantastic. Look forward to a ride with you and Catman/ktmPunter soon. I managed to fit 2 tool tubes to my pannier racks. Will give them a easy-ish trial run tomorrow out to Killarney via Canungra, and maybe a bit of rabbit fence. Will take some pics on the w/e.
Oz-Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #2584
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,902
[QUOTE=Cruz;17219391]
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Will the real 690 Adventure stand up
Looking the horn.
Still waiting for longer link arm for scotts damper, touratech rack and tool tubes to go on the bottom of them, back rack of some sort, B&B case saver, 16 tooth sprocket, billet top bar clamp and thats about it , got no f*****n money left for anything else.

Work out more than a new 990 Andy?
Worked out $18500 with all the bling, 990 would have started at, $21000 at least before bling.
Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #2585
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,635
Bewdy-ful...

Quote:
Will the real 690 Adventure stand up

Here is (possibly) the reason KTM never produced the 690 Adventure themselves... Had they done so, they'd have (likely) sold considerably less of the 990 ADV if this little ripper was available off the showroom...?

I reckon there are a fair number of 990 ADV riders who live/ride at the slightly more adventurous (read technical terrain) end of the the spectrum, who would relish the lighter, relatively more nimble handling/weight of the 690 in this form. Sure the LC8 donk is great if you want beceaup power to eat up the touring miles... but relatively the 690 has plenty of legs for cruising and with this fairing/cockpit on board and the extra capacity in the front tanks... a worthy successor to the 640 Adventure... if not for the fact that it is five years too late in materializing (and even then only because of the efforts of a hardcore enthusiast after market company... not the manufacturer).

Well done Andy... I am sure you will be pleased with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #2586
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,784
[QUOTE=El Ponkin;17227161]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post

Worked out $18500 with all the bling, 990 would have started at, $21000 at least before bling.
Andy
Excellent work, will be good to see it getting dirty.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #2587
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-Strom View Post
Hey Andy - that looks fantastic. Look forward to a ride with you and Catman/ktmPunter soon. I managed to fit 2 tool tubes to my pannier racks. Will give them a easy-ish trial run tomorrow out to Killarney via Canungra, and maybe a bit of rabbit fence. Will take some pics on the w/e.
I think the bikes debut will be Phils Xmas Break Up Ride, nothing like in at the deep end !!!
I threw my 990 in a river on the way to that ride last year so I hope I last a bit longer this time.
Andy

Old 11-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #2588
fearless phill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KATO- View Post
Finally finished rooting around with my lights and screen mods, added a switch to the thermo fan, changed the oil and filters. Cleaned the air filter, put the safari tank back on and the pannier racks.

Then looked at the front tyre and the bloody thing has spun a little.

So off with the front to fix the prob and notice the steering feels a bit notchy.. so now i've pulled the whole front apart again to replace the bearings..

Gotta love em..
just wondering where did you score the HID lights from wouldn't mind getting some for my bike aswell
fearless phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #2589
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
I reckon there are a fair number of 990 ADV riders who live/ride at the slightly more adventurous (read technical terrain) end of the the spectrum, who would relish the lighter, relatively more nimble handling/weight of the 690 in this form. Sure the LC8 donk is great if you want beceaup power to eat up the touring miles... but relatively the 690 has plenty of legs for cruising and with this fairing/cockpit on board and the extra capacity in the front tanks... a worthy successor to the 640 Adventure... if not for the fact that it is five years too late in materializing (and even then only because of the efforts of a hardcore enthusiast after market company... not the manufacturer).
Can't understand why they never put the fuel injected motor in the 640 frame, would ave been great.
The achilles heal of the 690 is still the plastic tank/subframe, for an adventure bike trying to carry luggage but I guess you have to accept that this is one of the ways they got the weight down.
Cudos to Rally Raid for putting such a great kit together and now they are working on a safari tanked version.
Andy

Old 11-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #2590
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,663
Andy, have you ridden it yet? Can you give some feedback on the bashplate and centre stand? I'm assuming you can't do an oil and filters change while the cente stand is fitted?

Mines looking similar to yours apart from I have a different muffler, the adventure fairing kit, and don't have the bashplate or graphics kit.

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it

Paves screwed with this post 11-04-2011 at 11:48 PM
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:16 AM   #2591
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,635
Quote:
Can't understand why they never put the fuel injected motor in the 640 frame, would ave been great.
The achilles heal of the 690 is still the plastic tank/subframe, for an adventure bike trying to carry luggage but I guess you have to accept that this is one of the ways they got the weight down.
Cudos to Rally Raid for putting such a great kit together and now they are working on a safari tanked version.
Andy
It's a pick up on the swings/lose on the roundabout sort of a thing... isn't it.

What makes the 690 such a good thing (compared to the predecessors like the LC4 SXC, the XR6.5 and TTR Belgarda) is the (comparitively) lower weight and nice ergo's... Downside... you can't easily bolt on a HD luggage rack for the rear...

Guess that's what I was on about (re; the ADV 990)... choosing which "niché" of adventure tourer you go with...

I've seen some guys solve the problem with an externally mounted (direct to frame/footpegs) pannier rack/luggage rack solutions - (much like the one's KATO has fabricated)... then again, if maximum luggage/touring range was the goal...perhaps an LC8 (either the 990 ADV or an SE950... although THOSE need a subframe beefing up too) is a better starting point in that case... Weighing down the 690 too much, you'd defeat the purpose of going with the lighter single cylinder package in the first place? No?

I reckon if I set up a 690 adventure (love your set up El-Ponkin ), I would probably go with a horseshoe bag on the back, and a 15 liter backpack... that way when I got to the desert, I could drop the soft luggage fast and pack quickly, so I could enjoy that sleek 690 adv...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #2592
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paves View Post
Andy, have you ridden it yet? Can you give some feedback on the bashplate and centre stand? I'm assuming you can't do an oil and filters change while the cente stand is fitted?

Mines looking similar to yours apart from I have a different muffler, the adventure fairing kit, and don't have the bashplate or graphics kit.
No I haven't ridden it yet, the centre stand is a design in progress, I would say, as the spring mechanism isn't sprung enough to snap it up out the way like the 990, it lifts it up but you have to clip it to a rubber strap to hold it up, could be a problem through rough stuff so needs some fine tuning, also when on the stand it doesn't overcentre much and I did have it roll forward once off the stand. Will look at filter access and let you know.

I plan to pack light and enjoy riding the lightweight skimpy teenager
Andy

Old 11-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #2593
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,112
Crankshaft's bike is down here at my place so I can have a crack at it and try to fix it. my right hand is out of a cast and onto a removable brace. so today i went to my local shop and ordered 3 of the 10 micron purolater filters ($2) each...hard to beat that price. since they wont be in until tomorrow i also picked up a plastic fitting to bridge the quick disconnect for testing purposes. now to see wtf is going on with this machine.

1. bad injector O-ring
2. suspicious injetor behavoir
3. bad ignition switch
4. fuel flow from supply line looks good without anything attached.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor

Seth S screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 01:55 PM
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #2594
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,036
Who has a giant loop on there 690 and please post some pic's
I have some Andy straps panniers but i have melted a small bit , want to try the GL's but want to see some pic's

cheers
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #2595
2volts
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
Who has a giant loop on there 690 and please post some pic's
I have some Andy straps panniers but i have melted a small bit , want to try the GL's but want to see some pic's

cheers

It's a bit distant but it's a pic. Coyote bag. Disregard the ugly thing in the foreground.
Undoing the front straps to move the bag is a pain in the arse when refuelling, but fine to ride with. I'm tall and tend to sit further back on the seat and don't notice its there. I've cut some notches in the guard for the clips to hold onto.
pete
2volts is offline   Reply With Quote