User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #2671
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,834
Looks the goods Paves,
I just had my first real 690 day, was meant to go and visit Brisbane Sidecars, Ross Brown so he could give me a quote on fabricating some crash bars, got all me gear on hit the button and no start, faaark.
Nice sweaty day to tear it all apart but quickly found the pump was running but no fuel pressure, so tear all the back end down to check the pump lines in the tank and sure enough the pressure pipe had come off at the plastic quick release fitting, I had been a bit worried about doing the clamp up too tight and splitting the plastic fitting but this time I showed no mercy. Then I had to rebuild the thing and soon the day was over. Thank F***k it was something easy, I had visions of going back to KTM to fault diagnose it under warranty and them not even recognising the bike.

Anyway I will be glad when I can build up a bit of faith in it, at the moment I am still very twitchy.
Might get it dirty tomorrow.
Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #2672
podge NT
Podge NT

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Looks the goods Paves,
I just had my first real 690 day, was meant to go and visit Brisbane Sidecars, Ross Brown so he could give me a quote on fabricating some crash bars, got all me gear on hit the button and no start, faaark.
Nice sweaty day to tear it all apart but quickly found the pump was running but no fuel pressure, so tear all the back end down to check the pump lines in the tank and sure enough the pressure pipe had come off at the plastic quick release fitting, I had been a bit worried about doing the clamp up too tight and splitting the plastic fitting but this time I showed no mercy. Then I had to rebuild the thing and soon the day was over. Thank F***k it was something easy, I had visions of going back to KTM to fault diagnose it under warranty and them not even recognising the bike.

Anyway I will be glad when I can build up a bit of faith in it, at the moment I am still very twitchy.
Andy
Have faith mate mine has got 23525 km on it with no fuel pump problems or anything else except having to service the forks.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #2673
podge NT
Podge NT

Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post
Have faith mate mine has got 23525 km on it with no fuel pump problems or anything else except having to service the forks.

Just fitted double take mirrors from adventure moto
Old 11-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #2674
podge NT
Podge NT

Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post

Just fitted double take mirrors from adventure moto

Here they are folded up
Old 11-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #2675
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfatbeerman View Post
That second shot looks like you were having trouble containing your excitement mr Carpenter , was your willie a bit stiff or sumfin' .
It was my mate - Björn (owner) - who took the photo's... and yes, I think your diagnosis was correct! He was a bitat the time... Probably like El Ponkin is right now I'd reckon, itching to throw a leg over...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #2676
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paves View Post
Andy, I have a Renazco and it's sooooo comfy you won't think its the same ride. But they use the stock seat base and put their own cover on it.
Here's a couple of pics of my bike I took this morning.

Looks great Paves.
Did Renazco rebuild your seat somewhere in Australia, or did you have to send it o/seas to get it done ?
As I have a spare stock seat that I want to get rebuild to make more comfy for longer rides.
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #2677
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

After speaking to a fabricator today we are thinking that I will buy some of these touratech upper crash bars as a start point and then modify to suit the bike with the RR Tank, to protect plastics, tanks and radiator.

Name:  E2lnWb-1.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  67.7 KB

Old 11-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #2678
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,858
Quote:
After speaking to a fabricator today we are thinking that I will buy some of these touratech upper crash bars as a start point and then modify to suit the bike with the RR Tank, to protect plastics, tanks and radiator.

G'day El Ponk...

Itching for a ride on the new toy... but haven't finished the farkling eh...?

FWIW... I think the basic design of the new crash bars that KTM showed on the ne Duke 690 at Milan (below) look promising - design/protection/resiliance wise... maybe they would hinder putting the "foot out" and forward (mx cornering style) a bit... but for the average adv/touring application, maybe that's not such a big deal.

Not to rubish the TT stuff (too much), but I'd be a bit sceptical about those lower/forward mounting plates in the pic you posted. They look pretty flimsy in realtion to the overall tube construction/purpose (ie crash bar/protection). In my opinion - one potential design flaw - with the TT construction is, that that they have utilized the aluminium Y-yoke of the main front engine mount as the primary mounting point. Obviously if you built a bomb proof crash bar tube construction... it woud feed any crash impact straight back into the Y-yoke and engine cases (probably not a good thing). This would account for (assumedly) why the TT engineers have used those plate style mountings to fit the bars... THAT is where the thing is going to deform, and not bend/crack at the engine mount itself in the advent you dump the thing on it's side.

From that perspective the KTM version (frame tube mounted/clamp system... three different points of fastening) looks more robust to my eye, and any fabricator worth their salt, with a couple of photos, your bike, a tape measure, tube bender and welder should be able to replicate something along those lines, that works together with the RRUK tanks and skidplate etc.

Having had some experience with various TT luggage racks, engine bar kits etc, all I will say is this; It's true they build good quality material stuff, at a reasonable price point and with ease of fitment/design in mind... BUT if you have a luggage rack (for example) intended to carry 10 kg's (often used to carry 15 kg's or more in practice) and mount it using lugs/brackets capable of sustaining 5 kg's... well you end up where many have in the past.

I find it hard to justify shelling out X amount of dollars to buy something, and then spend X in time and money on top of that, to re-engineer or repair it so that it does the job it was (supposedly) designed to do in the first place.

PS. The bike looks wicked nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 11-26-2011 at 12:36 AM
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:30 AM   #2679
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Erzenberg View Post
Looks great Paves.
Did Renazco rebuild your seat somewhere in Australia, or did you have to send it o/seas to get it done ?
As I have a spare stock seat that I want to get rebuild to make more comfy for longer rides.
Sol, Renazco are in the US and as far as I know only do their work there. I ordered a seat in March or thereabouts and they said the build date would be July. It was going to cost $70 to send my stock seat to the US and I'd lose 4/5 weeks riding time during the best season in WA so I kept my stock seat and paid an extra $120 for them to source a seat base for me. My Renazco is suede and they say although it's ok to get it wet now and again it won't like getting soaked during a winter. So now I have 2 seats and I have the choice of the stocker if it looks like a real wet ride. Otherwise I won't be using it again.

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #2680
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,625
Quote:
Looks the goods Paves,

Andy
Andy, sent you a pm re a ride tomorrow which would be a good first ride or the 690.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:24 AM   #2681
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Looks the goods Paves,

Andy
Geez, you know this bike inside out before you even get it dirty. I have fitted the RR tanks but not connected them up yet and it would take me a lot longer than most of a day to fix that problem

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #2682
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paves View Post
Geez, you know this bike inside out before you even get it dirty. I have fitted the RR tanks but not connected them up yet and it would take me a lot longer than most of a day to fix that problem
One of the benefits of having the fuel filter external to the tank, just pull the pipe off at filter inlet, turn the key on and expect a face full, with it mounted where it is I can get to it with no strip. If it hadn't been the pump I can check fuel filter blockage pretty quick. If it were the filter at the injector that takes a bit longer.
Fuel pump access is a whole different matter with back racks on. I think If I can access the exhaust bracket mount bolts in situ I could lift the whole back end by just undoing the touratech racks at the footpegs, will have to give it a go.

Name:  IMGP1110%20(500x375).jpg
Views: 947
Size:  146.8 KB

Old 11-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #2683
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Looks the goods Paves,

Andy
Andy, your bike is looking great. As you know, I've had a clamp slip off too. I now use safety wire to keep those fittings in the tank from coming apart. Mine is going great again, but I carry a spare pump, lines and clamps just in case. Doesn't take much space.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #2684
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 388
Third and last one ill drop, sorry for spam.
If it fits the Enduro... would look pimp on El Ponkin ride!
(‎690 Duke equipped with KTM PowerParts)
Attached Images

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #2685
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Well we went and got dirty on the Team Moto ride

Name:  IMGP1271 (500x414).jpg
Views: 873
Size:  185.1 KB

About 27 bikes, one guy lost it on a corner and cartwheeled into a river, he was a bit "shaken not stirred" then later I just came around a sharp bend to find a give way sign and a single lane bridge, a couple of guys had made a last run and squeeze as a truck was coming the other way but as he had right of way he wasn't giving up so I hit the brakes as did a tenere behind me but then I heard the deadly squeal of tyres as another rider on a KTM 530 wasn't going to make it and he laid it down with the bike bouncing of the tenere before hitting the back of mine. The rider rolling down the road and on to the bridge with much road rash and possible broken wrist and collarbone. he got a lift back to imbil in a passing car to meet up with the ambos and a couple of guys recovered his bike.
No damage to the Tenere or mine but the 530 had a twisted rear subframe, lucky.

Anyway the bike ran famously and I enjoyed it more and more as we got acqainted. The seat is bearable with the airhawk but it needs doing before the APC. Like everyone says the suspension is hard, but I will see if it eases up with wear.

Power was great and a real joy to ride and it doesn't have a mind of its own on downhills like the 990 did, it just goes where you put it. On the highway on the way home it started spluttering though as if it was starving of fuel so it may have picked up a bit of build debris in either the injector filter or the 10 micron filter from the pump.

Will have a look when I have cooled down (31 degree day) . Anyway everything worked and nothing dropped off or came loose, started to fall in love with the wee beastie just need to fine tune the fuel thing.

Andy