User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #2836
edog200
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Soft pannier systems

Can anyone recommend a soft pannier system then?

Any spectacular failures, or successes?
edog200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #2837
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
Hey BW I reckon the last thing you need is a 690, noone will see which way you went!

It looked to me that the DR was doin just fine

--
Haha...and you definitely don't need one

I blame Tony for giving me a ride on his

Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #2838
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog200 View Post

These are on my list for my next big trip:

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product...asin-saddlebag

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #2839
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 737
Andystrapz and Wolfman both have good soft panniers, but the giant loop and coyote bags are good too.
Oz-Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #2840
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Soft Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog200 View Post

Walter Colebatch is working with a manufacturer to develop a set of very well thought out soft panniers. They are still in the prototype phase though. it will likely be at least a couple of months before they are on the market. There are only one set in existence at the moment I believe. I can't remember when your trip is scheduled to start up. One of the key features he is building in is he is laminating the bags with heavy Cordura nylon on the outside for abrasion resistance, with Spectra on the inside for slash proofing (if I remember it right). I believe his is using Pac-Safe type wire netting or similar in the retaining straps—maybe the bags as well.. I think he is looking at approximately 38 L a side for capacity? They won't be water proof--he figures the end user will use dry bags as needed. Colebatch used to use the Australian made Andy Strapz soft bags—but in hard use he found some niggly issues he is trying to iron out with his own design.

The details are in this thread here… http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524638&page=95

He first mentions in the thread a couple of months back from that page. If you are in a hurry for soft bags—the one’s Seth mention are very well thought of by the people who have them. If you are using a pannier rack that stiffens up the rear end, and you find you need the extra luggage space—you might consider a quick release hard top case for delicate electronics/important papers—somewhere for groceries, and somewhere to put a helmet and jacket when leaving the bike (so ya have to leave it half empty most of the time). Don’t use a top case without a pannier rack that reinforces the back of the bike—you are almost certain to crack something off in short order otherwise. I had this Shad 42 litre case http://www.shad.es/en/shad-usa/products/cases/top-cases/sh42/c17r35/

mounted on the back of a DR 650 a few years ago and was very pleased with it. Hepco & Becker make an assortment of hard top cases—I have no personal experience with them—but they look to be top shelf. U.S. distributor is http://www.machinesllc.com/ Australia distributor is http://www.hepco-becker.com.au/

You might also want to consider tank panniers If you can’t pare your kit down far enough and you can find a set that aren’t cumbersome on the bike.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-tank-panniers.html

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/tank_panniers.html

I hope this gives you some suitable solutions to research. I look forward to reading your RR as you get underway. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #2841
Bobsthename
Brisbane, Australia

Oddometer: 103
AndyStrapz

Crashed at 110kmh AndyStrapz panniers survived unscathed. Maybe just a fluke but I reckon they are tough.
Cheers Bob
Old 01-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #2842
The Doc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
Haha...and you definitely don't need one

I blame Tony for giving me a ride on his

Yeah I blame him too, but everytime I think about buying one I give myself an upper cut. How would one know when to slow down, atleast the weight of the 990 acts like a governor

I really had some mates sucked in, that Id bought the Rallye after I sent them those photos.

If I bought a 690 I reckon I stick a FCR on it though.

The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #2843
Big Willy
two dementional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
Yeah I blame him too, but everytime I think about buying one I give myself an upper cut. How would one know when to slow down, atleast the weight of the 990 acts like a governor

I really had some mates sucked in, that Id bought the Rallye after I sent them those photos.

If I bought a 690 I reckon I stick a FCR on it though.

I reckon I'd do the same if and when I eventually get one
Old 01-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #2844
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
I reckon I'd do the same if and when I eventually get one

In the USA the FCR switch over is about a $1000 conversion unless you happen to have the FCR sitting on the shelf. For rally purposes I have considered switching but the fuel injection has worked well. Only real issue I have had was seizing a fuel pump on dirty fuel...the carburated bikes were having clogged filter issues. So the carb would be easier to deal with a fuel issue as it would not be an in tank pump. However the fuel contamination is easy to sort out. Its a real toss up...spend $1000 and gut the bike and start over or do whats necesary to keep the EFI clean and enjoy.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 01-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #2845
Big Willy
two dementional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
In the USA the FCR switch over is about a $1000 conversion unless you happen to have the FCR sitting on the shelf. For rally purposes I have considered switching but the fuel injection has worked well. Only real issue I have had was seizing a fuel pump on dirty fuel...the carburated bikes were having clogged filter issues. So the carb would be easier to deal with a fuel issue as it would not be an in tank pump. However the fuel contamination is easy to sort out. Its a real toss up...spend $1000 and gut the bike and start over or do whats necesary to keep the EFI clean and enjoy.
Good points
I see Keihin have changed things a bit for the later models.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #2846
edog200
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
thanks gentlemen

Thanks gentlemen for your help. I'll digest all this stuff and get back to you.

Cheers,

Dave
edog200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #2847
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Good points
I see Keihin have changed things a bit for the later models.
What I want is a 690 with a usaberg fuel injection system....ditch the 690 throttle setup and go with the berg setup. The berg FI is fantastic...they still have some fuel pump issues and can still clog injectors but for the most part the berg FI is spot on...likely thanks to the lack of emissions crap.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #2848
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewe74 View Post
Hi Ktmpunter, I have the rally raid tanks arriving this week and was wondering if you replaced the hoses in the tank like El Ponkin or did you just join the hose. Also it looks like you need a longer hose to go from the inline filter to the injector. Is this right? Cheers
G'day dewe, I'm thinking of doing the same with my 690, can you post up a photo when you have your's fitted ?

Cheers, Sol..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #2849
ADV-Wes
I'm not lost....yet.

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
My opinion: Boxes are only good for offering a little bit of security....
To get around the security problem with soft panniers (I have AndyStrapz Expedition 4 pocket numbers - love 'em)...... I just secure them to the bike with "PacSafe" Security netting, used for securing your backpack when you travel. Wrap them over each saddle bag (including the pannier rack their mounted on) and the only way to get the bag off is to un-bolt the entire pannier rack and all. Handy if your camping in a dodgey area or leaving the ride parked on the verandah of a pub somewhere?

Great bit of kit these things. You can get 'em at most good camping stores.

Wes.

Project '97 XR250R
ADV-Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #2850
dewe74
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Erzenberg View Post
G'day dewe, I'm thinking of doing the same with my 690, can you post up a photo when you have your's fitted ?

Cheers, Sol..
No worries Sol. I am hoping to finish off the install tonight and i will take a few photos in the morning before i panel it all up. Cheers
dewe74 is offline   Reply With Quote