Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #3061
stewy (Aus)
searching for a ride

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
I dunno Stewy...sounds much like what was happening to me mate Pete's 690E.

You could hear the fuel pump prime and there was even what appeared to be a nice spray at the injector, but it wouldn't start. A new fuel pump fixed it.

Could be that with not enough fuel pressure, the computer tells the spark not to bother?

Like I said...I dunno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
Fuel pressure has nothing to do with the spark . Check all wires at the coil , make sure they are tight & the crimps are firm . I`ve also heard of a few 690`s having stator issues .
that was my thought aswell brute, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwocky117 View Post
Sounds strange I know but........ Apparently if the fuel filter in the tank becomes blocked, the preasure in the system drops, & the bike looses spark because of the fuel preasure sensor doing their thing. Ranui's did it on the APC. Also been another case.
Might be worth checking ?
well that might explain big willy's idea, will go through and check to make sure there are no blocks in the injectors, will also look into this filter, is there a write up anywhere on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paves View Post
Have you tried changing the sparkplug?
I have no spark at the end of the spark plug cable (which plugs onto the spark plug) so issue is before the plug.

Cheers will work through you idea's tonight and report back
stewy (Aus) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #3062
Painey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hi Gents,
Has anyone had problems with there 690 fuel pumps? If so what are the symtoms?

Having problems with mine. I went for a ride the other day and got 16km in and the bike was coffing and farting and got very hot. After that I let it cool down then it wouldn't start.
I have since changed the fuel filter in the tank, the plug and now it still won't go. If I turn the key on and off again a few times it will start but only run for a few seconds, I did get it to run by playing with the throttle. I have cleaned the injector, at the moment I'm waiting for a new oring as I ripped one when getting the injector out.

Your help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Andrew
2008 TE510 Sold
Painey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #3063
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painey View Post
Hi Gents,
Has anyone had problems with there 690 fuel pumps? If so what are the symtoms?

Having problems with mine. I went for a ride the other day and got 16km in and the bike was coffing and farting and got very hot. After that I let it cool down then it wouldn't start.
I have since changed the fuel filter in the tank, the plug and now it still won't go. If I turn the key on and off again a few times it will start but only run for a few seconds, I did get it to run by playing with the throttle. I have cleaned the injector, at the moment I'm waiting for a new oring as I ripped one when getting the injector out.

Your help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Andrew

lots of fuel pump problems. there were a batch of bad pumps and the good ones are very sensitive to the cleanliness of the fuel. It takes very little to seize the pump. We had lots of issues with clean fuel in WA when I was there. my pump lasted 8000 miles in the usa and siezed in the outback. i pulled it out of the tank and gave it power while someone else hit with a hammer...it fired up again...but did not sound good. So i put a used husaberg pump in and then we triple filtered the fuel.

other problems found with loose ignition switches, bad starter/ignition relays, etc.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #3064
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmpunter View Post
El Ponkin and i removed the internal filter and put a 10 micron filter between the regulator and the injector, so it can be changed externally without going into the tank. Bought from Mr filter in Brisbane for $12.00 - pert number FF149. Then you can service in the field.

Cheers

Catman
I have just replaced the stock filter inside my tank as a precautionary measure as my bike has now done 10,000kms. I think I will get one of those external filters next time for ease of use.

Cheers, Sol..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 06:26 PM
Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:42 AM   #3065
Painey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Got the big girl running this arvo. I put the injector back in with a patch job on the o-ring until the new ones get here. She fired up and run sweep.
It still got hot sitting in the shed on the stand. I'll have to get it back together and take her for a ride and she if she gets hot.

Question: Has anyone had a problem with there thermastat?
2008 TE510 Sold
Painey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #3066
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painey View Post
Got the big girl running this arvo. I put the injector back in with a patch job on the o-ring until the new ones get here. She fired up and run sweep.
It still got hot sitting in the shed on the stand. I'll have to get it back together and take her for a ride and she if she gets hot.

Question: Has anyone had a problem with there thermastat?
we had the bike overheat strangely on the last day of the safari. i have not pulled it out of the crate to diagnos yet. could be a failed waterpump or a bad thermostat......or bad rad cap etc

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #3067
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,707
Hey fellas
Took my 12 model to get the mapping switch on the bars today - mechanic couldnt do it the twelve has the male conector on the bikeside and the conectors are male, do you know what I mean - has anybody moded the twelve switch yet
b2
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #3068
stewy (Aus)
searching for a ride

Oddometer: 46
well after wasting many hours, I found the issue and no it was not a ktm issue, no blocked injectors, broken wires or anything else just an idoit doing the work yep forgot about a plug I replaced as it was broken when i got the bike and was just taped together, well I sourced a new plug and when I put it back together I put it around the wrong way (but thought I had started it since I replaced that, but guess I was wrong) anyway switch wires around hook up tank AGAIN hit starter and bang straight to life......grrr, oh well all running now and was interesting read about the injectors, just awaiting parts for the fuel filters and will finish that mod to to hopefully reduce anymore issues down the track.

stewy (Aus) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #3069
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,917
Just got the seat done at John Moorhouse Ergo Seats here in Brisbane and it is a beauty, just did 2000km round trip to Springsure and it is superbly comfortable. I still did use my airhawk because I am a pussy but you could tell the seat is so much better , much wider and softer.

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:21 AM   #3070
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
Hey fellas
Took my 12 model to get the mapping switch on the bars today - mechanic couldnt do it the twelve has the male conector on the bikeside and the conectors are male, do you know what I mean - has anybody moded the twelve switch yet
b2
Well took her to action nerang yesterday where i originally bought her Tyrone ? fitted the handlebar switch no probs and loaded the akro mapping for me {I had it dyno'd and was told it was spik {$550} , but the akro map is the way to go it kept coming up with a FI problem with the mapping dyno guy did ktm has a firmhand in it somehow.} Theres also for anyone that doesnt know two accessories wires behind the headlight surround one of which i installed a waterproof socket for my montaqna gps , have a g2 throttle tamer arriving in the next few days and a guard-it tech rear rack also-606's work very well front and back much better than the tkc's that came with bike- on the mapping switch if anyone gets one the number two setting is what you have the original setting on and the one setting is the standard setting {number 3 }
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #3071
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Just got the seat done at John Moorhouse Ergo Seats here in Brisbane and it is a beauty, just did 2000km round trip to Springsure and it is superbly comfortable. I still did use my airhawk because I am a pussy but you could tell the seat is so much better , much wider and softer.

Nice bike..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #3072
touser
canned fruit

Oddometer: 358
I had a seat done like that too, it's ok when sitting but I find it too wide standing. Does look nice though.

I put a set of standard 990 front springs in my 690 today and it;s not too bad, Feels a bit less coarse which surprised me. Any onre else done this?
Old 05-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #3073
PilbaraGoat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I agree. I had a wide rear on a custom seat and hated it.
Then I bought the KTM Ergo seat, and hated that too.
So then I sent the Ergo seat and the wide custom seat to a trimmer and said I wanted heaps of padding but in the shape of the Ergo seat.
$150.00

Just got back from my first decent ride with the new seat.
2 days and1500 kms (50/50 dirt and bitumen) later and I reckon it still needs a half inch more padding (or maybe a denser base layer of foam) but the shape is perfect.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #3074
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by touser View Post
I put a set of standard 990 front springs in my 690 today and it;s not too bad, Feels a bit less coarse which surprised me. Any onre else done this?
No, but, I did replace the fork oil with 5wt and set the air gap at 125mm. I checked the air gap before I emptied out the old oil, and discovered that one leg was set at 90mm and one at 85mm. No wonder it felt harsh!

Went for a good ride yesterday and the difference is quite a noticeable improvement for my pace of riding (moderate).

So for those that haven't done the fork oil, it may be worth doing so before committing to fork upgrade or revalve/respring. Just a thought.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #3075
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,116
el cheapo throttle mod?

i know some guys get the g2 throttles to tame that snappy response off idle, although it seems the akropovic remap and an aftermarket pipe helps a fair bit (or switch the igntion setting to 1 if its really pissing you off in slow gnarly stuff).

read up on the G2 throttle and the whole cam idea, then pulled the kato throttle apart and thought i'd have a go at making my own cam. used a stanley knife to cut into the throttle tube where the cable first makes contact and make a smooth curve out of it, being very careful not to leave any edges or material behind that might jam the throttle. then just tightened the cables slightly to take up the bit of slack that resulted.

did a few hundred kms on this setup and worked like a charm, i can see why riders rave about the g2 cam. even on ignition setting 3 it felt like a different bike in gnarly tight riding, much smoother off the throttle.

far as i can make out the only possible drawback is i might not be able to open the throttle up fully anymore... this would depend on whether the quarter turn of the throttle limits the throttle opening? dont know and not a problem for me as it was still faster than i needed it be when giving it stick.

not suggesting anyone do the same mod to their bike, but just thought i'd throw it out there for discussion. and interested to know if anyone can think of any drawbacks?