Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 02:57 AM   #3631
Eagle`02
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
I too have the standard KTM screen on my `10 690R and suspension is stock standard, no headshake like described by some that I have noticed ,,,
I have had it to 150, that`s as fast as I would dream to go with my substandard abilities

Thanx for the reminder on the filter Andy,,
I need to check mine and fit an external before I have any dramas , so far no probs though

Cheers
Eagle`02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #3632
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Just completed my strip and build after the APC Rally as the bike has now done 15000km since my build ... Andy
Very surprising.

Your bike is a 2011 ?? Realy ? And the prefilter is that bad ?

Paul Jr
Old 08-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #3633
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Very surprising.

Your bike is a 2011 ?? Realy ? And the prefilter is that bad ?

Paul Jr
Yep 2011 and I filter every drop of fuel I put in the bike through a Mr Funnel Filter and there wasn't a grain of dirt in there, the grey stuff is from the pump I am sure or the other theory is that it leaches out of the black fuel tank, but I think it looks more like carbon from the pump and as the pressure regulator return flow goes back to pump housing as a cooling flow it makes sense.

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #3634
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Yep 2011 and I filter every drop of fuel I put in the bike through a Mr Funnel Filter and there wasn't a grain of dirt in there, the grey stuff is from the pump I am sure or the other theory is that it leaches out of the black fuel tank, but I think it looks more like carbon from the pump and as the pressure regulator return flow goes back to pump housing as a cooling flow it makes sense.
Hey Andy...if it's carbon you should be able to put a multimeter on it to see.

(bit late now I bet )
Old 08-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #3635
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 729
I might have a look at my pump and filter too as I progressively do a 20k km service on the bike after the APC. I have the Cycleworks pump installed and the same profilter on the pump, so will be interesting to see how it compares in residue. The pump and filter has been in for 10,000 kms. Had the valves checked and the exhaust were OK , but the inlets were a bit tight, but not to the point of closed. Will do a general grease of swingarm, linkages etc too.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #3636
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 729
Airbox mods

Had a search, but can't seem to find the post(s) on the airbox mods for easy removal with the safari tank on. The OP modified the front brackets and fixed the front bolts so it could slide on and be secured by the rear bolts.

Anyone? Thanks

EDIT: Found it
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4348

Oz-Strom screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 08:08 PM
Oz-Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:58 AM   #3637
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
Hey Andy...if it's carbon you should be able to put a multimeter on it to see.

(bit late now I bet )
You are an ideas man mate, tried it but doesn't seem to be conductive so I guess we have to go with the residue out of the fuel tank material theory.

Andy

Old 08-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #3638
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
You are an ideas man mate, tried it but doesn't seem to be conductive so I guess we have to go with the residue out of the fuel tank material theory.

Andy

Whatever it is, that filter is doing it's job
Old 08-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #3639
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:

Andy
Andy,
If I remember right you replaced the fuel lines inside the tank with Gates Submersible Hose. I did the same and put the same profilter in. When I was phoning around to see who had the fuel hose in Perth I spoke to a fuel injection mob who told me Gates had withdrawn it from sale at one point because it had issues. He wouldn't tell me anymore but this has got me thinking that maybe that gunk could be fuel hose? Just an idea, but it could be worth have a closer look at the hose. My bikes done 7,000kms since I changed the hose but I only changed it in June so if it's a time issue I may not have the same build up. I will check mine in a few weeks.

BTW, how did your RR fairing go on the APC?
This was mine after only a bout 1000kms on the Great Central Road

The breaks started here

And ended up like this by the time I reached Alice. I rode one-handed holding onto the speedo with the other hand from Docker River to Yulara.

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #3640
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

I didn't get any cracks at the two bolts like you have but I did have one of the support rods let go at the top weld.
I now have both support rods welded front and back which I got done locally and Rally Raid will do the same on all new brackets. I also cracked the top filler plate, the big black one between the rear two mount bolts just under the top triple and Rally Raid are sending me a new one of those. I would suggest putting penny washers top and bottom at these two bolted joints to spread the load. I sent Rally Raid the feedback to help them with their development of the product and they were extremely helpful as usual. I think some of our terrain is the toughest test for his stuff and if he improves it to handle our conditions it will be bulletproof.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #3641
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,826
How much did the kit cost andy?

I know some one who had a meca systems kit that did the same, apparently it was just constantly falling apart. It was a very bad design and prone to fatigue cracks.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #3642
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post

I know some one who had a meca systems kit that did the same, apparently it was just constantly falling apart. It was a very bad design and prone to fatigue cracks.
Exactly.

In another life, I used to work in vibration analsis. Very basic Engineering by-passed.

All they have to do is put it on shaker tables with accelerometers ...

Paul Jr
Old 08-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #3643
vegemanNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
Bash plate fell of on the tracks yesterday - bolts must of sheared off so high tensile with locknuts going on and maybe a zip tie for good luck coz there stronger than god himself-could of been nasty but hit a stick at same time so was ready for something to happen
Timely reminder for me to check all bolts me thinks im sure i lock tighted them tho i love that stuff so must of sheared
I had constant trouble with my alloy plate (flatlands racing) vibrating the bolts loose (I could always hear the extra vibe) but during the time of tighting it...I eventually rooted/stripped the threads, bugger.

I have now drilled out the 5mm thread out and retapped using 6mm course thread, hi tensile and never had a problem since.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #3644
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemanNZ View Post
I had constant trouble with my alloy plate (flatlands racing) vibrating the bolts loose (I could always hear the extra vibe) but during the time of tighting it...I eventually rooted/stripped the threads, bugger.

I have now drilled out the 5mm thread out and retapped using 6mm course thread, hi tensile and never had a problem since.
Funny you put that back up ive just finished an oil change today and had so much trouble getting one the bolts out this time loctite got a bit stuck on one of them - it is abit tight behind to get a nut on which would be perfect so I think you are on to something there

The mighty beast is all loaded up for a campout two day ride - lowered the forks throo the clamps about 3mm below top of clamps, fiddled with suspension and with all the weight over the back it felt very good riding round the yard -will try and doctor up a screen tomorow ready for the ride on thursday- its such a cool bike

Beer'o'clock Baz screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 12:50 AM
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #3645
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post

I believe the Rally Raid gear is cheaper, this is all the gear I bought and the prices at the time.
Adventure Fairing Kit 795.00
Fuel Tank Kit-Natural 495.00
Rally Engine Guard with Water Tank 257.25
690 Centre Stand Kit 188.00
Billet Filler Adaptor and Acerbis Cap 44.88
Subrame Tank Mounting Bolts 32.95
Lower Tank Mount Kit 20.35
690 Radiator Guard Kit 106.42
Adventure Graphics Kit 144.00
Fan Thermostat Switch 43.27

Weight: 24.85kg shipping 150.00
You can do the maths. I reckon the kit is excellent and with the minor improvements mentioned it would handle most things you want to throw at it. I gave mine a flogging on the APC and Cordillo Downs and Bulloo Downs were pretty rough.
Andy