Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #3901
grimripper
1pissanter

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
I just use grease it works well and easy and cheap

Yep. Foam filter, and if you don't want to get greasy shit everywhere everytime and everyplace, use gasket goo or similar silicone product.

Spray the mating surfaces with WD or similar and run a quick bead of the black goo and then plonk the filter element into the frame on top of the goo.

I give it a little time (10 mins) to go into pre-set condition before clamping the 4 screws 1/2 way down down.
Give it another 20 mins and give another 1/4 turn or so.

The WD spray stops the goo from sticking to the element and airbox for easy removal and as the goo had never been maximally compressed given that it was allowed to partially set prior to initial clampdown compression, the filter can be removed, cleaned and replaced with confidence that the seal remains integral so long as minor increases in the torque required to seat the seal are facilitated each time of service.
What you've got is a nice spongy gasket which is clean, dry and seals completely.

Works 4 me

grimripper screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 12:54 AM
grimripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #3902
podge NT
Podge NT

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
As Big Willy previously mentioned the evo cover bows in the middle and even with my foam filter and tons of sticky grease i still got a fine dust inside on a particularly dusty ride. I like the evo lid as it gives extra airflow but without the induction noise of something like the rally raid filter. In theory once the bearer screws are set I should just be able to undo the two rear screws and it will all lift out and refit as normal.

Its one of those things, I chose the evo cover and didn't want to spend more money on another option and apart from labour the mod didn't cost me anything really just left over scraps in the shed.
Andy
KTM use the 690 to pre run at Finke and they use standard air boxes. Somehow I dont think you need to get any more air into your bike.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #3903
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
As Big Willy previously mentioned the evo cover bows in the middle and even with my foam filter and tons of sticky grease i still got a fine dust inside on a particularly dusty ride. I like the evo lid as it gives extra airflow but without the induction noise of something like the rally raid filter. In theory once the bearer screws are set I should just be able to undo the two rear screws and it will all lift out and refit as normal.

Its one of those things, I chose the evo cover and didn't want to spend more money on another option and apart from labour the mod didn't cost me anything really just left over scraps in the shed.
Andy
Well done Andy for nutting that out
I've actually written a letter to KTM asking for a refund for my Evo cover as the bike shop wouldn't give me my money back because I had it more than a month.
The bike shop did offer to get me another at a reduced price to which I replied...well you can guess the reply
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #3904
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,687
I can't use the search function but somewhere in here mickd was offered a reasonable amount of money for his 990 - maybe he shuda taken it

You said you wud cop some shit mick so lets start with $50 which Im sure you will find is a very reasonable offer and i think what i offered months ago so i am a man of my word

p.s fleabay shhh don't tell anyone its on there
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #3905
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
I can't use the search function but somewhere in here mickd was offered a reasonable amount of money for his 990 - maybe he shuda taken it

You said you wud cop some shit mick so lets start with $50 which Im sure you will find is a very reasonable offer and i think what i offered months ago so i am a man of my word

p.s fleabay shhh don't tell anyone its on there
i know i know i should of taken you up on your offer for $50 oh well never mind
make it $60 and its yours

any way the 300 has gone,so 1 down 2 to go

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #3906
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,868
I think I pee'd my pants

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #3907
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
i know i know i should of taken you up on your offer for $50 oh well never mind
make it $60 and its yours

any way the 300 has gone,so 1 down 2 to go
Im in the process of trading my 450 and stoner in on a 1198S - when will it end Mick
Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 AM   #3908
mickd
crash test dummie

Quote:
I think I pee'd my pants
why???cos you want it

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #3909
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Am I allowed to talk tyres ?

If so I am running a 606 rear with a 952 front find this a very good allround set up but i am thinking maybe a mx71 front with the 606 or a hp4 front and rear {dont know much about michy's } - I am happy with the 606 rear but I do feel the 952 washout at times on the dirtroads and it is a skinny tyre- the terrain i ride is hard dry dusty dirtroads with rocky rutted single track and rainforest single with occasional mud track thrown in for good measure and a fair bita tar so the harderwearing knobbies are my choice not 50/50 tyres -

reading the above I think the 606 rear is right maybe change the front only {def not 606 front } any comments

If I have upset anyone by not reading 1654 pages trying to find what im after ignore this post
Old 12-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #3910
podge NT
Podge NT

Quote:
Am I allowed to talk tyres ?

If so I am running a 606 rear with a 952 front find this a very good allround set up but i am thinking maybe a mx71 front with the 606 or a hp4 front and rear {dont know much about michy's } - I am happy with the 606 rear but I do feel the 952 washout at times on the dirtroads and it is a skinny tyre- the terrain i ride is hard dry dusty dirtroads with rocky rutted single track and rainforest single with occasional mud track thrown in for good measure and a fair bita tar so the harderwearing knobbies are my choice not 50/50 tyres -

reading the above I think the 606 rear is right maybe change the front only {def not 606 front } any comments

If I have upset anyone by not reading 1654 pages trying to find what im after ignore this post

I used the HP4 Starcross on the front and the 908 rally raid on the back of mine they worked OK. Used 3 sets in 26000 km. Fronts weren,t worn out but changed them anyhow.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #3911
mickd
crash test dummie

hi b2
why not the 606 front? i love them,i find there a good all round tyre loads of feed back,and grip,ive put them on all my bikes inc the 990 in the past,

any way just my 2 cents worth mickd

Old 12-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #3912
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post
I used the HP4 Starcross on the front and the 908 rally raid on the back of mine they worked OK. Used 3 sets in 26000 km. Fronts weren,t worn out but changed them anyhow.
They read allright I think I will give that combo ago see how they work
Thanks Podge
p.s I get 9.000klm for 4 rears two fronts on the combo im running and they are shagged everytime both front and back
Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #3913
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
hi b2
why not the 606 front? i love them,i find there a good all round tyre loads of feed back,and grip,ive put them on all my bikes inc the 990 in the past,

any way just my 2 cents worth mickd
You musn't ride hard enough mick[this is a joke ] - terrible, front washes out slippy as hell in mud
When we up for a ride you are keeping the 690 arn't you ?
Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #3914
podge NT
Podge NT

Quote:
They read allright I think I will give that combo ago see how they work
Thanks Podge
p.s I get 9.000klm for 4 rears two fronts on the combo im running and they are shagged everytime both front and back

I just put a 908 on the back of my 450 with a Bridgestone Gritty ED 11 on the front and that seems to work ok
Old 12-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #3915
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post
I just put a 908 on the back of my 450 with a Bridgestone Gritty ED 11 on the front and that seems to work ok
Not a bridgestone fan didn't like the gritty that came on the crf - but i did ride the oxley two weeks ago with some sportsbikes and the guy up front had a bridgestone slick of sorts on and it was the stickiest tyre i have ever felt- seen two bike crashes on that trip one of them was abovementioned mate