Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #3916
poppy
Slow and Steady

Oddometer: 2,137
I really liked the HP4 on the front of my 950, not so sure i like it as much on the 610 in the dirt. It seems good in some area's and scketchy in others, mud being one of them. Maybe the extra weight of the 950 made it feel different. Stiil pretty good on tar wet or dry. My opinion only, the hp4 is a massive improvement over the 606 front. I have a new mx71 in the garage to fit after i wear out the hp4 at the moment. The rear mx71 seems to be wearing ok, and is good on wet/dry tar.
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #3917
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy View Post
I really liked the HP4 on the front of my 950, not so sure i like it as much on the 610 in the dirt. It seems good in some area's and scketchy in others, mud being one of them. Maybe the extra weight of the 950 made it feel different. Stiil pretty good on tar wet or dry. My opinion only, the hp4 is a massive improvement over the 606 front. I have a new mx71 in the garage to fit after i wear out the hp4 at the moment. The rear mx71 seems to be wearing ok, and is good on wet/dry tar.
Thats the other option i was looking at, I have mx51's on the crf at the moment good tyres so the 71's would be better for up here on the hard dust but didn't know how they would wear on the 690 and handle on the tar.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #3918
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,781
Mx71;(

I ran the mx71 on the ktm625 out in the desert this year, they weren't much good IMO. I found they followed every ridge and track and walked around too much.

The 606 is a good all rounder dirt road touring knobby. But at the cost of good grip in sand and mud..

I like the hp4 also. But i think the lighter bikes struggle with the weight of the carcass.

I ran a Dunlop 908 front (not the Rally raid) on a few bikes. It is a great tyre on a single.

Joe

QUOTE=B2;20158539]Thats the other option i was looking at, I have mx51's on the crf at the moment good tyres so the 71's would be better for up here on the hard dust but didn't know how they would wear on the 690 and handle on the tar.[/QUOTE]

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #3919
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,030
Kenda do a couple of good tyres I,ll get about 2k out the one I have on now its done 1300 km loaded with camp gear just over half worn and I was not being friendly to it , Pretty good for $110 tyre
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #3920
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy View Post
After having the HP4 on the front of the Tranny for a while I find it has good and bad points. It turns a lot slower than the E-07 and Michy Desert and wanders on bitumen and dirt a fair bit if the front of the bike is not weighted. The more load on the back, or even move back on the seat and it gets vague and a bit loose.
Stand up though and it is great in the dirt though haven't had any mud to try it out in. Doubt if you would ever get a pinch flat with one either.

Will be trying out a new Michelin Desert front next time, always found them to be very good everywhere.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #3921
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
After having the HP4 on the front of the Tranny for a while I find it has good and bad points. It turns a lot slower than the E-07 and Michy Desert and wanders on bitumen and dirt a fair bit if the front of the bike is not weighted. The more load on the back, or even move back on the seat and it gets vague and a bit loose.
Stand up though and it is great in the dirt though haven't had any mud to try it out in. Doubt if you would ever get a pinch flat with one either.

Will be trying out a new Michelin Desert front next time, always found them to be very good everywhere.
The desert doesn't seem to get very good reviews when googling - maybe rally raid rear with mx 51 front ? the 51 works fine on my 450 and is an intermediate anybody use them on the road ?
Im leaning towards rally raid front and back at the moment
Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #3922
podge NT
Podge NT

Oddometer: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
The desert doesn't seem to get very good reviews when googling - maybe rally raid rear with mx 51 front ? the 51 works fine on my 450 and is an intermediate anybody use them on the road ?
Im leaning towards rally raid front and back at the moment

Michy Desert is a crap front good back used one on the back of the 450 for Finke.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #3923
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post
Michy Desert is a crap front good back used one on the back of the 450 for Finke.
Yep Im going to get rally raids front and back tomorow and give them ago.
The problem with dearer longer wearing tyres is they end up with the others in the shed when you realise there not for you
Old 12-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #3924
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
Kenda do a couple of good tyres I,ll get about 2k out the one I have on now its done 1300 km loaded with camp gear just over half worn and I was not being friendly to it , Pretty good for $110 tyre
mudguts,what are tyre models?,sound good
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #3925
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,030
It was a Carlsbad mx (dot) but most of the Kenda range are dot ,
There is also carlsbad DT desert tyre

It hooked up real well , big thumbs up . I'm getting another . On the same ride brute destroyed a MT21 and done 300 less km,s

Mudguts screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 03:11 AM
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:17 AM   #3926
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:

It hooked up real well , big thumbs up . I'm getting another . On the same ride brute destroyed a MT21 and done 300 less km,s
Thanks,will try one.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #3927
fearless phill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno950 View Post
Thanks,will try one.
I ran a calsbad sticky for a while on my wr 450 and it seemed like a good tye it was also reversable put it on the 690 for a run out and got a flat up through captains ran up to 50ks on it flat before it left the rim.
Still found it to be a good tyre
fearless phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #3928
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Well the 40 klm freeway ride home on the new rally raids was interesting the headshake is back but at 100kph now i was playing with it abit its more of a upper bike wobble than a front wheel shake and sitting back weight over rear made it calm down a little - Im hopeing with a little wear the tyres will settle down , if not there in the shed and back to rear 606 and 952 front no headshake with that combo from the getgo
Old 12-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #3929
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:

My MT 21 was looking sad after the first day . It was completely rooted after the 3rd day ( 1100 km ) I used an MT 21 earlier in the year on a Simpson desert trip & it lasted well & survived the over 4000 km trip . Forget the MT21 if there`s rocks involved .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #3930
D-Rally
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
690 Set Up tips

Well gents after lurking in this thread for a while I thought I better put my toe in the water. I've just picked up a bog stock 2008 690E with just over 2000k on the clock from brand new. Other than all the farkling that it will get shortly what's a shortlist of the top 5 initial set up tips I should be looking to do first up. I'm thinking more along the lines of reliabilty, handling, comfort etc.

Cheers

DRally