ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #3976
LC4nicator
Certified Wino
 
LC4nicator's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Erzenberg View Post
No worries mate, I have both s/track & open blacktop not that far from my house, bring up one of your bikes one morning & happy to head out for an hour or two, only as long as its not a hot day..
Thanks mate....I'll bring the 640ADV, that way i can do some back to back tests.
Hopefully we can do a short run some time over the next few eeks.....weather permitting.

It'll be intersting to hear what your opinions will be when jumping off the 690 and onto the 640 as well.
__________________
Conman62 in the "other world"......dirtbikeworld.net
The beatings will continue untill morale improves!
2006 KTM 525 EXC
2005 KTM 950 ADV
LC4nicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #3977
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,280
ton of power in the 950's and 990's. first time you get the thing hauling in the dirt is very exciting. Its even more exciting when you need to slow it down in a hurry and discover it weighs quite a bit more
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #3978
LC4nicator
Certified Wino
 
LC4nicator's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
ton of power in the 950's and 990's. first time you get the thing hauling in the dirt is very exciting. Its even more exciting when you need to slow it down in a hurry and discover it weighs quite a bit more

Hahaha.....yep.. I hear ya Seth......
Everytime I go out with the lads for a day tripper, I'm always on the lookout for some roadverge ST....can't help myself.
Punting the 640 through it is a bit of a handful as it is let alone a 950 / 990

Thats why I think the 690 might be the one...............just really nervous on the FI gremlins

The other thing is.....if I miss a corner at speed, I'd rather do it on a 690 than a 950!
__________________
Conman62 in the "other world"......dirtbikeworld.net
The beatings will continue untill morale improves!
2006 KTM 525 EXC
2005 KTM 950 ADV
LC4nicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #3979
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4nicator View Post
Hahaha.....yep.. I hear ya Seth......
Everytime I go out with the lads for a day tripper, I'm always on the lookout for some roadverge ST....can't help myself.
Punting the 640 through it is a bit of a handful as it is let alone a 950 / 990

Thats why I think the 690 might be the one...............just really nervous on the FI gremlins

The other thing is.....if I miss a corner at speed, I'd rather do it on a 690 than a 950!

The FI gremlins are well documented now. I have 10,000 miles (16,000 km) on my 690 including 5 days of abuse in the Safari last year. I am still running a stock system but with a custom fuel map. Next step is to swap out the wiring harness and do an aftermarket fuel system.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #3980
minusone
Beastly Adventurer
 
minusone's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Northern Beaches Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 1,291
I had a 990 ADV for a number of years and there wasn't much I where wouldn't take it. Steering with the rear was the order of the day, however even though I stiffened the front suspension with new springs, I always had to slow down prior to jumps and erosion mounds or risk pile driving it into the ground. Was a great 2 up bike and with crash bars and pannier racks pretty indestructible even throwing it down rock steps and submerging it up to the headlight.

< It is not, however, a bike I would wish to dewater at anytime! >

I actually went to the shop to purchase a new 990R but happened to see a 2010 KTM 690R Rally Raid model on the floor. Had a test drive to check out the vibes and found it to be quite acceptable particularly after the 640 bone shaker. This is the last of the tall suspension models and I would now regard this as a better all round bike that makes few concessions to the dirt bike mob, except perhaps in tight single track. I no longer have to throttle back for erosion mounds and with my advancing age is a lot easier to pick up. Has enough power to steer with the rear and also top speed for the transport home.

A very good bike indeed.
minusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #3981
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere
 
Sol Erzenberg's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Adelaide - North East.
Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4nicator View Post
It'll be intersting to hear what your opinions will be when jumping off the 690 and onto the 640 as well.
Sounds like a plan..
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4nicator View Post
Everytime I go out with the lads for a day tripper, I'm always on the lookout for some roadverge ST....can't help myself.
Punting the 640 through it is a bit of a handful as it is let alone a 950 / 990
Riding a 950 / 990 through tight s/track would be difficult..
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4nicator View Post
Thats why I think the 690 might be the one...............just really nervous on the FI gremlins
I've never had any Con.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
The FI gremlins are well documented now. I have 10,000 miles (16,000 km) on my 690 including 5 days of abuse in the Safari last year. I am still running a stock system but with a custom fuel map. Next step is to swap out the wiring harness and do an aftermarket fuel system.
I have an after market muffler (Wings) & the Akro mapping kit to suit & no problems with the FI system at all..
__________________
2009 KTM 690 R
"Thats A Sweet Noise You Got There Man, I Had You Picked Clear Across The Mallee"
2006 KTM 625 SXC
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC








Sol Erzenberg screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 11:15 PM
Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #3982
Chris 690R
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney Northern Beaches
Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by minusone View Post
I had a 990 ADV for a number of years and there wasn't much I where wouldn't take it. Steering with the rear was the order of the day, however even though I stiffened the front suspension with new springs, I always had to slow down prior to jumps and erosion mounds or risk pile driving it into the ground. Was a great 2 up bike and with crash bars and pannier racks pretty indestructible even throwing it down rock steps and submerging it up to the headlight.

< It is not, however, a bike I would wish to dewater at anytime! >

I actually went to the shop to purchase a new 990R but happened to see a 2010 KTM 690R Rally Raid model on the floor. Had a test drive to check out the vibes and found it to be quite acceptable particularly after the 640 bone shaker. This is the last of the tall suspension models and I would now regard this as a better all round bike that makes few concessions to the dirt bike mob, except perhaps in tight single track. I no longer have to throttle back for erosion mounds and with my advancing age is a lot easier to pick up. Has enough power to steer with the rear and also top speed for the transport home.

A very good bike indeed.
Hey Minusone,

I just got a 690 a week ago
and thought I was the only one on the n beachs that had one! Stepping of a 300 exc I am loving this bike so far. Do you do any dirt stuff around the beaches or can you recommend any good stuff for the 690?

Chris
Chris 690R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:17 AM   #3983
minusone
Beastly Adventurer
 
minusone's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Northern Beaches Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 690R View Post
Hey Minusone,

I just got a 690 a week ago
and thought I was the only one on the n beachs that had one! Stepping of a 300 exc I am loving this bike so far. Do you do any dirt stuff around the beaches or can you recommend any good stuff for the 690?

Chris
Day ride on Sunday if you are interested.
A Loop through Yengo with the Central Coast guys.
Will be early start and a full day.
minusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #3984
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,280
Riding a 950 in Colorado USA up around 11,000 feet elevation:



and a trail pass at just under 13000 feet elevation:





Should not have posted photos...now I really miss that bike
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #3985
Noyah
poser
 
Noyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Oddometer: 396
Nice url lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
__________________
KTM 690 Enduro R

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #3986
LC4nicator
Certified Wino
 
LC4nicator's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 479
Well....I went for a test ride on a 690 at a local dealership here in SA.
It's a 2009 model with low k's
Condition was not up to my standard for a bike of that mileage however I was advised it pretty much never saw bitumen and only minimal dirt road so a little understandable.
Nevertheless, not to hard to tidy it up a bit if the deal was going down.

Jumping off my 640ADV and onto this, the first observation was how well the ergos felt.
The lack of bulk up front was also something which plays with the mind here and you question whether this bike is a capable cruiser for distance.
Wind buffeting also reinforced this but once she opened up all that was quickly put aside.
This is a sweet engine.
The similarity between this bike and my 525 EXC was astounding.
Without doing the maths, I'd say it's definitely similar in power to weight ratio.
The F.I. really gave this engine tractability throughout the rev range.
Going to wide open in 6th gear from a low speed didn't produce any coughing/spluttering/bucking...just a smooth application of torque all taken it it's stride.
Up to around 90 km/hr lack of vibration was quite evident but once you hit three figures the was a buzz felt through the grips.....much more than my 640....but nothing that a decent set of foam rally grips or a set of Fasst Flex bars wouldn't fix.
I saw that the standard bars were rigidly fitted so I question KTM's reasoning there.
This bike had the aftermarket KTM hardparts soft seat but after a 20 min ride I knew that wouldn't stay on for long.
An aftermarket seat, as noted by 95% of 690 owners, is also a must.

Very impressed and if it weren't for the fact that a fully farkled, soft seated, correctly sprung, big tanked and well loved 525 was already sitting in my garage then I'd seriously be considering one of these bikes.

Definitely much more responsive and easier to manhandle than my 640 but a rally raid kit is a definite if I was to go the 690 route.
Having said that, in it's current configuration, I'd have no hesitation whatsoever in punting the 690 through the tight Mallee single track.
This would also be a great bike to ride through the Simpson Desert.
Touring wise, the upper range was effortlessly reached on the 690.....did I say what a sweet engine it was....

To be honest, this exercise has confirmed I currently have the right mix as although the 640 felt bulkier on the way home, there was definitely less vibration through the bars.

What I did discover though was the lack of vibration through the foot pegs of the 690 compared to my 640 and this would be harder to rectify on my current ride.

For the time being though, the 640 will stay and, quite possibly, a HTC Oil cooler for the 525 (to increase capacity)may be on the cards to enable bringing that along to the longer but more technical rides.

For anyone who is committed to only retaining one bike, I cannot think of a better choice than one of these 690's.
__________________
Conman62 in the "other world"......dirtbikeworld.net
The beatings will continue untill morale improves!
2006 KTM 525 EXC
2005 KTM 950 ADV
LC4nicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #3987
mrwocky117
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Brisvegas QLD Aus.
Oddometer: 158
Swap to a carby

Has anyone looked into or got any idea of what it would cost to get rid of the EFI and install a carby ?
mrwocky117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #3988
mickd
crash test dummie
 
mickd's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: brisbane,australia
Oddometer: 1,860
up date on the new mapping for the 2012 bikes that keep stalling i had done a wk or so ago by the ktm dealer..... it bloody does not work,so back to have a chat with them again 2morrow,
apart from this its a brill bike but what a pain in the ass it is


mickd
__________________
You suck. And your mother dresses you funny.

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #3989
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie
 
BygDaddee's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Brisbane Northside, OZ
Oddometer: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4nicator View Post
Well....I went for a test ride on a 690 at a local dealership here in SA.
It's a 2009 model with low k's
Did it have stock pipe, stock FI mapping etc ?
__________________
Relax and enjoy the journey, not just the destination.
2013 WR450F(The best bike KTM never built) and BMW G650GS Sertao (The refined mans DR)
Pauls Spot Tracker http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mgxmQRRUCqrKiY
BygDaddee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #3990
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwocky117 View Post
Has anyone looked into or got any idea of what it would cost to get rid of the EFI and install a carby ?
Cost would be around $1000 to $2000 for the carb conversion. You have to change the ignition and the carb you need is expensive. Keep the fi...it is much more versatile.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014