Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #4126
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrspwr Hero View Post
Just thought I would share my experiences with latest mods to my 690.
1. Leo vince slip on & akro map. This is like dropping to a 14t sprocket! You gain so much more down low. No more slugging. Much more responsive and more hp
Same with my 690, Wings slip on & akro map, huge improvement vs. the stock set up..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #4127
cheekorollo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Hi all,
I thought I'd better sign in... Picked up a 2012 690 in Feb. Its a little quicker than my old KLR!
Getting it set up at the moment with a view to do my first multi nighter in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:08 AM   #4128
Baric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
My New additions

No more numb arse

Radiator screen and protector

RR Evo2 Tanks fitted

Dually2 LED lights

Baric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #4129
travelingaustralian
Globe Trotting

Oddometer: 95
Rally Raid gear

Hi El Ponkin,

Im looking at buying almost the same amount of gear off rally raid and been thinking about the possible import tax I might have to pay when it get to customs.
Did you have any problems with your gear when it arrived in Australia?

Cheers Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
I believe the Rally Raid gear is cheaper, this is all the gear I bought and the prices at the time.
Adventure Fairing Kit £795.00
Fuel Tank Kit-Natural £495.00
Rally Engine Guard with Water Tank £257.25
690 Centre Stand Kit £188.00
Billet Filler Adaptor and Acerbis Cap £44.88
Subrame Tank Mounting Bolts £32.95
Lower Tank Mount Kit £20.35
690 Radiator Guard Kit £106.42
Adventure Graphics Kit £144.00
Fan Thermostat Switch £43.27

Weight: 24.85kg shipping £150.00
You can do the maths. I reckon the kit is excellent and with the minor improvements mentioned it would handle most things you want to throw at it. I gave mine a flogging on the APC and Cordillo Downs and Bulloo Downs were pretty rough.
Andy

"Quad Biking in Antarctica"----->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...886240&page=10
travelingaustralian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #4130
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 2,011
No I didn't have any trouble when I got mine but since then they have tightened up and one of my mates got stung so you really need to keep each shipment LABELLED as below a $1000 I think is the figure. He raised a thread on here about it:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877712

Plus remember they have the new Evo Tank design with matching fairings so you should be going for that set up.
Tanks are as per Barics bike in the last few posts and the new fairings match up to those, looks bloody awesome in the pics.

Andy
KTM 690 EFI Idiots Guide
KTM 690 Troubleshooting Guide
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #4131
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
No I didn't have any trouble when I got mine but since then they have tightened up and one of my mates got stung so you really need to keep each shipment LABELLED as below a $1000 I think is the figure. He raised a thread on here about it:

Plus remember they have the new Evo Tank design with matching fairings so you should be going for that set up.
Tanks are as per Barics bike in the last few posts and the new fairings match up to those, looks bloody awesome in the pics.

Andy
I also got stung here in Australia - our cut-point is $1000 AUD, and the tanks etc just topped it ...

RR are not keen to make separate packages (tried that) ...

Next time I buy something expensive I'll space the orders out by a few days - Australian Customs have been known to group like parcels arriving together and consider their collective value ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #4132
vegemanNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrspwr Hero View Post
Just thought I would share my experiences with latest mods to my 690.
1. Leo vince slip on & akro map. This is like dropping to a 14t sprocket! You gain so much more down low. No more slugging. Much more responsive and more hp I'm sure. Also makes an awesome note without the bung up it
2. Swapped out rear spring for a 92n/mm. Before this the arse would squat so badly under power, so very difficult to float the front over holes etc. also front would pop up too easily if you tried to get moving on a steep hill. Now it will power wheely with ease and still manages to make good headway up the steep stuff. Great for getting both wheels off the ground too!!!!
1. Leo Vince and akra... yes, it sure goes better, I thought that the akra map removes the 2nd gear/3rd gear restricter but it doesn't. So to complete the package, do the mod, it "really barks now"

2. Not wanting to be too personal, but what is your riding weight? so I can examine spring upgrades

Thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #4133
Hrspwr Hero
wipe off 50 or.....

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemanNZ View Post
1. Leo Vince and akra... yes, it sure goes better, I thought that the akra map removes the 2nd gear/3rd gear restricter but it doesn't. So to complete the package, do the mod, it "really barks now"

2. Not wanting to be too personal, but what is your riding weight? so I can examine spring upgrades

Thanks
I am about 90kg + riding gear. I got the spring from slavens racing in the states. Very reasonable price and only place I could find every spring rate. I sent them an email regarding it and he recommended the 92n/mm. I'm sure it will probably be a bit soft once loaded but a damn site better than the stock 80 or 82 whatever it is. Its almost the single best improvement I have made to the bike.

Mine doesn't seem to have any form of restrictor in 2nd/3rd. Pulls like a train to redline. I would love to take a 690 duke for a spin. They would be a weapon on the road.
Hrspwr Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #4134
Hrspwr Hero
wipe off 50 or.....

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingaustralian View Post
Hi El Ponkin,

Im looking at buying almost the same amount of gear off rally raid and been thinking about the possible import tax I might have to pay when it get to customs.
Did you have any problems with your gear when it arrived in Australia?

Cheers Patrick
Check if its cheaper to buy from KTM Twins in the states with the exchange rate. I know advriders get a 10% discount for orders over $1k. I ordered about $1200 worth of stuff earlier this year and paid no duty on it.
Hrspwr Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #4135
travelingaustralian
Globe Trotting

Oddometer: 95
Cheers El Ponkin,

Thanks for the quick reply. Ill have to look into it. I have the time up my sleeve to order in the parts over the next couple months as im still not back in Australia yet. That way I can avoid any import tax. Ill be geting the Evo tanks, they look bloody good!!
Quote:

Andy

"Quad Biking in Antarctica"----->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...886240&page=10
travelingaustralian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #4136
fatbloke49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
KTM issues

Went for a 800km ride on the week end from the Sunshine Soast to Childers and back via state forrest and had some issues that I hope can be sorted before I go on the APC in 16 days.
  1. The bike will only start when it's in neutral even if the clutch is pulled in. Is this a clutch switch issue or something to do with the side stand switch? If anyone knows how to fix this could you please upload a photo of the location of these switches?
  2. The bike has been doing it since I got it (15,000km on the clock). When the bike cranks over you have to give it a tiny bit of throttle to start it otherwise it just cranks over. When you give it a bit of throttle it coughs, farts and backfires into the air box. Could this be a mapping issue or something to do with a blocked fuel injector? I was looking at cleaning it like this video. http://youtu.be/1fbDUHlBQoU
  3. On the second day, when doing single track it would stall with low reves in corners but if you ride up to an intersection it will idle fine.
  4. One more from another ride, I pulled out of a service station and the bike just died like someone had turned the ignition switch off.
Any recommendations on any fixes for the above?

Only 16 days left to get it sorted......

Cheers,
Craig
AKA Fatbloke

fatbloke49 screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 08:49 PM
fatbloke49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #4137
Baric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Fuel Range

After fitting the Evo2 tanks I emailed RR about expected fuel range.

There reply:

We get about 400km range with evo tanks, with about 70km with light on.
Baric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #4138
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,860
Talking ;)

QUOTE=fatbloke49;21304497]Went for a 800km ride on the week end from the Sunshine Soast to Childers and back via state forrest and had some issues that I hope can be sorted before I go on the APC in 16 days.
  1. The bike will only start when it's in neutral even if the clutch is pulled in. Is this a clutch switch issue or something to do with the side stand switch? If anyone knows how to fix this could you please upload a photo of the location of these switches?
  2. The bike has been doing it since I got it (15,000km on the clock). When the bike cranks over you have to give it a tiny bit of throttle to start it otherwise it just cranks over. When you give it a bit of throttle it coughs, farts and backfires into the air box. Could this be a mapping issue or something to do with a blocked fuel injector? I was looking at cleaning it like this video. http://youtu.be/1fbDUHlBQoU
  3. On the second day, when doing single track it would stall with low reves in corners but if you ride up to an intersection it will idle fine.
  4. One more from another ride, I pulled out of a service station and the bike just died like someone had turned the ignition switch off.

Cheers,
Craig
AKA Fatbloke[/QUOTE]

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #4139
podge NT
Podge NT

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baric View Post
After fitting the Evo2 tanks I emailed RR about expected fuel range.

There reply:

We get about 400km range with evo tanks, with about 70km with light on.

When I had mine 26 ltrs would get about 300 km going hard.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #4140
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke49 View Post
Went for a 800km ride on the week end from the Sunshine Soast to Childers and back via state forrest and had some issues that I hope can be sorted before I go on the APC in 16 days.

Cheers,
Craig
AKA Fatbloke
I am too nervous to answer as I know Joe and Podge will be waiting to jump down my throat and say "its a 690 you should expect that shit or sell it" anyway with 20000kms under my belt I'll risk it.

1. Sounds like the sidestand switch you can buy the KTM sidestand switch eliminator which plugs in instead of the prox switch, you can make up your own resistor but its more trouble than its worth. The KTM bit is the same as the one for the 990, just google it and you will see lots of threads on it or I can fit for you.

2. This could be throttle rigging and the butterfly maybe closing off too much, if its under warrranty get the dealer to do it. There is a simple throttle electronic reset when you just open and close the throttle very slowly and evenly with ignition on and the electronics reset. Again google is your friend.

3 & 4. Could be loads of things, check your throttle body rubbers are seated correctly and not letting air in and clamps are not overtightened and rolling the rubber off the flanges. The injecfor can sometimes have a needle filter fitted and this can partially clog causing your symptoms, this can be removed and tossed or it could just be caused by throttle rigging as per above. As a big thumper they do occasionally have a cough stall at the most embarressing moment but just keeping it pinned stops that.

Righto now all you 690 dissenters tuck in and take your best shot.
Andy
KTM 690 EFI Idiots Guide
KTM 690 Troubleshooting Guide
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote