Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #4201
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Yeh Seth I have seen your exploits and figured the bike had a tough life, did you find anything else worn/bust/broken in the engine because with the merciless racing just a headgasket is a pretty good result. If not what else has let you down along the way.
Andy

Well water pump seals failed and led to blown headgasket. Not sure exactly how the head gasket failed yet...could be that the head is warped and have not had a chance to check it yet. nothing obviously bad. I wear tires, brake pads, dent rims etc. I ride the bike hard but not abusive. I my mileage dictates maybe 3 oil changes...I have probably done it 6 or 7 times. I replaced the instrument cluster and put a different headlight on. The computer has a Beaney (RIP) map on it that works a little better. If I keep the bike I will probably go the microsquirt and custom harness route.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #4202
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,923
Has the water pump got a double seal and telltale drain or is it like the 990 with a single seal and leaks straight into the engine oil causing oil filter blockage etc. Be interested in anything I can do to spot it before it causes the damage you have experienced, Like on the 990 you get a grey spooge in the radiator cap as an indicator that water and oil are mixing.
Andy
KTM 690 EVO 1 Rally Raid Build Thread
KTM 690 Idiots Guide
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #4203
OutbackDreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I've cracked 32000 on the speedo (actually it's probably 44000 as the original speedo was acting wierd and KTM just replaced it without really looking into it).

Issues I've had are:
> Speedo (obviously) - warranty
> Clutch slave failed - warranty
> lost original number plate (it broke off on 2 day ride)
> replacement number plate has cracked in half. so have stiffened it up with extra bracing (strips of tin with extra bolting and cable ties), is still holding together.
> multiple rear indicators (have now replaced them with led indicators and have since had no issues
> replaced the rear cowling (screws holding it in place worked loose and cross threaded the plastic - had no way of fixing the cowl in place so got a new cowling.
> 2 batteries & stator - just out of warranty . I'm not sure what went first but I reckon the battery died causing the stator to work harder (meaning the second battery was doomed as it was replaced before the stator) - day it first died was very wet (so a possible short somewhere).
No issues since (fingers cross), but I did install a volt metre to be able to keep an eye on it.
> lastest issue - the front right bolt hole to connect the bash plate (a GiT bash plate) is crossthreaded. I'm thinking the ktm mechanic stuffed it, but I'm not 100% sure (only proof I have is that since the bike was serviced I haven't been able to tighten the bolt).

I don't believe the the list is bad, though it is when I compare it to my previous bike (I had a VFR800 and after 120'000 the only issue I had was the stator went).
Considering what the 690r is and what I do with it, I don't think the list is a problem.

This does take me back to my latest issue - the crossthreaded bolt hole. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix it?
I've considering tapping a new thread and getting a larger bolt, but I'd like to confirm that there isn't a better way before I attack the the bike.

(apologies for the bad terminology - it's one of those days)

Gaz

'09 KTM 690R - Adv
'14 Yamaha FJR1300A
Previously owned: '92 XT350, 89 FJ1200, '99 VFR800
"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien
OutbackDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #4204
Eagle`02
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbackDreamer View Post
I've cracked 32000 on the speedo (actually it's probably 44000 as the original speedo was acting wierd and KTM just replaced it without really looking into it).

Issues I've had are:
> Speedo (obviously) - warranty
> Clutch slave failed - warranty
> lost original number plate (it broke off on 2 day ride)
> replacement number plate has cracked in half. so have stiffened it up with extra bracing (strips of tin with extra bolting and cable ties), is still holding together.
> multiple rear indicators (have now replaced them with led indicators and have since had no issues
> replaced the rear cowling (screws holding it in place worked loose and cross threaded the plastic - had no way of fixing the cowl in place so got a new cowling.
> 2 batteries & stator - just out of warranty . I'm not sure what went first but I reckon the battery died causing the stator to work harder (meaning the second battery was doomed as it was replaced before the stator) - day it first died was very wet (so a possible short somewhere).
No issues since (fingers cross), but I did install a volt metre to be able to keep an eye on it.
> lastest issue - the front right bolt hole to connect the bash plate (a GiT bash plate) is crossthreaded. I'm thinking the ktm mechanic stuffed it, but I'm not 100% sure (only proof I have is that since the bike was serviced I haven't been able to tighten the bolt).

I don't believe the the list is bad, though it is when I compare it to my previous bike (I had a VFR800 and after 120'000 the only issue I had was the stator went).
Considering what the 690r is and what I do with it, I don't think the list is a problem.

This does take me back to my latest issue - the crossthreaded bolt hole. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix it?
I've considering tapping a new thread and getting a larger bolt, but I'd like to confirm that there isn't a better way before I attack the the bike.

Gaz
May be able to secure it by carefully drilling the old thread out, spray some silicon or wax onto the bolt thread, apply some liquid epoxy metal into the hole and let set (with the bolt pushed into place). Then carefully back the bolt out when Epoxy sets (a day or two later).

Or more positive fix is to use a Helicoil (but you will need to buy a helicoil kit !!!! Unless you know someone that has a kit already

Cheers
Eagle`02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #4205
OutbackDreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle`02 View Post
May be able to secure it by carefully drilling the old thread out, spray some silicon or wax onto the bolt thread, apply some liquid epoxy metal into the hole and let set (with the bolt pushed into place). Then carefully back the bolt out when Epoxy sets (a day or two later).

Or more positive fix is to use a Helicoil (but you will need to buy a helicoil kit !!!! Unless you know someone that has a kit already

Cheers
Thanks for the info - gives me a good starting point to fix the thread.

'09 KTM 690R - Adv
'14 Yamaha FJR1300A
Old 05-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #4206
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,923
I have a real good local motorcycle mechanic shop and they did a helicoil repair for me cheaper than buying a helicoil kit.

Andy
KTM 690 EVO 1 Rally Raid Build Thread
KTM 690 Idiots Guide
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:54 AM   #4207
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,145
Quote:
Has the water pump got a double seal and telltale drain or is it like the 990 with a single seal and leaks straight into the engine oil causing oil filter blockage etc. Be interested in anything I can do to spot it before it causes the damage you have experienced, Like on the 990 you get a grey spooge in the radiator cap as an indicator that water and oil are mixing.
Andy
It is a double seal setup. The inner seal separates the oil from the coolant and the outer seal separates the coolant from the world. In my case the inner seal failed and the coolant became one with the oil.

There is a sight glass on the 690 so you can see when your oil turns from a nice dark semi transparent maple syrup color to a chocolate milkshake....but you may not realize it has happened while riding it until your temperature starts to creep up. I do not think this is a particularly common issue on these bikes.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #4208
vegemanNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:

Gaz
Hey...I did the same ie stripped the hole once I started using a alu bash plate. The 'fit' of the plate doesn't have any bend, so real easy to strip.

I did drill it out and re-tapped to now use an M7 bolt. It's been great ever since.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #4209
OutbackDreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I have a real good local motorcycle mechanic shop and they did a helicoil repair for me cheaper than buying a helicoil kit.
Quote:

Andy.

Sounds good Andy, but a bit too far away for me

I'd struggle to get a mechanic to fix it cheaper than buying a kit here - good old boom town Perth is very expensive to get anyone to do anything. I've actually found some cheap-ish kits online, I need to research a little more though before I commit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemanNZ View Post
Hey...I did the same ie stripped the hole once I started using a alu bash plate. The 'fit' of the plate doesn't have any bend, so real easy to strip.

I did drill it out and re-tapped to now use an M7 bolt. It's been great ever since.
I did like how the original plastic bash plate was connected - but was alway nervous with how much the plastic would take before failure. I have considered trying to modify the alu bash plate to suit the original bolts - but I'm just not that capable.
The drill out and retap was my original thought and is good to hear it has worked.
Gaz

'09 KTM 690R - Adv
'14 Yamaha FJR1300A
Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #4210
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
[COLOR=#cdcdcd][FONT=Verdana]

I did like how the original plastic bash plate was connected - but was alway nervous with how much the plastic would take before failure. I have considered trying to modify the alu bash plate to suit the original bolts - but I'm just not that capable.
The drill out and retap was my original thought and is good to hear it has worked.
Gaz
Always had the original plastic bashplate on a previous 250 exc and held up fine in some difficult terrain i.e. large rocks when it used to get a good workout.

Now got the 690 and have the GIT installed but always wondering if the original plastic one will be good enough. Why would KTM sell the bike with it installed if it wasnt up to the job is what I ask myself and would they play ball if you damaged the bash plate and also the casing at the same time? But then again if you put a hole in the original bashplate which stops it from damaging the casing it has sort of done it's job anyway.
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #4211
OutbackDreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibby View Post
Always had the original plastic bashplate on a previous 250 exc and held up fine in some difficult terrain i.e. large rocks when it used to get a good workout.

Now got the 690 and have the GIT installed but always wondering if the original plastic one will be good enough. Why would KTM sell the bike with it installed if it wasnt up to the job is what I ask myself and would they play ball if you damaged the bash plate and also the casing at the same time? But then again if you put a hole in the original bashplate which stops it from damaging the casing it has sort of done it's job anyway.
I had the same thoughts when I first got the bike, but the original plastic bash has some nice deep scratches/marks and I somehow managed to melt it slightly. I do like the GiT as it protect the brake cylinder as well as have a flatter bottom then the original - better for when I lift it onto the stand (the original always had the bike on a lean when up on the stand)

'09 KTM 690R - Adv
'14 Yamaha FJR1300A
Old 05-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #4212
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Would be interesting to know if anyone has actually damaged casings etc with just the stock skidplate installed and if yes what was the response from KTM.

My argument would be they should not be selling a bike with a skidplate if it is not up to the job.

I know it also comes down to the type of riding you are doing i.e. big rocks etc but they also class it as an Enduro so they should have taken into account the bike wont be just used on gravel roads.

The GIT is though pretty bombproof and excellent bit of kit, heavier than the plastic one but probably worth it for piece of mind.
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #4213
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibby View Post
Would be interesting to know if anyone has actually damaged casings etc with just the stock skidplate installed and if yes what was the response from KTM.

My argument would be they should not be selling a bike with a skidplate if it is not up to the job.

I know it also comes down to the type of riding you are doing i.e. big rocks etc but they also class it as an Enduro so they should have taken into account the bike wont be just used on gravel roads.

The GIT is though pretty bombproof and excellent bit of kit, heavier than the plastic one but probably worth it for piece of mind.

mate you dont get any casing covers on any enduro bike,wr,exc's etc so why do you think some should come on a 690

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #4214
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Outback Dreamer, are you talking about how the original bash plate is mounted at the rear? I have a B&B bash plate and it was mounted on the big bolt that goes through the frame and the back of the engine.
Its now been mounted using the plastic pegs off the original bash plate into the big holes where the old one went. And i must say is a hell of a lot quieter.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2116
mezcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #4215
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,435
Here's how I did mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezcal View Post
Outback Dreamer, are you talking about how the original bash plate is mounted at the rear? I have a B&B bash plate and it was mounted on the big bolt that goes through the frame and the back of the engine.
Its now been mounted using the plastic pegs off the original bash plate into the big holes where the old one went. And i must say is a hell of a lot quieter.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2116
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote