Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #4231
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 737
I have the Force bash plate which mounts similar to OEM at the rear. Chose it for that reason and it is a solid MF.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #4232
Rus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
What sort of top speed is the 690 capable of in stock trim, including standard gearing? There's a fellow on a US forum who's just bought a new one & claims it won't reach 70mph. I suspect the US emission laws may be tougher than ours, but it's hard to believe they're that choked up.

What sort of revs are they doing at say 100kmh & 120kmh in top gear with standard gearing, & what is a rough top speed if properly setup (breathing, exhaust & fuelling), running knobbies.

Thanks,
Rus
Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #4233
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,031
Had mine at 172 kph more to go , sit about 3500rpm at 100kph
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:48 AM   #4234
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rus View Post
What sort of top speed is the 690 capable of in stock trim, including standard gearing? There's a fellow on a US forum who's just bought a new one & claims it won't reach 70mph. I suspect the US emission laws may be tougher than ours, but it's hard to believe they're that choked up.

What sort of revs are they doing at say 100kmh & 120kmh in top gear with standard gearing, & what is a rough top speed if properly setup (breathing, exhaust & fuelling), running knobbies.

Thanks,
Rus
Top speed is going to get all sorts of answers ...

Comfortable cruising speed of 110-120kph is realistic, but probably smart to put on a 16-tooth front sprocket and maybe 44-tooth (or smaller) rear sprocket if speed is the goal ..

I noticed that a friend's Tiger 800XC was cruising at highway speeds at about the same revs as my 690, but whereas the Tiger felt silent and smooth the 690 felt like it was enjoying a rally ...

Quasi knobbies like D606s will be OK at highway speeds, but the wheels need to be carefully balanced and the suspension will probably take a bit of trial and error - mine tracks beautifully now on gravel roads, but it didn't when I first bought it ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #4235
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-Strom View Post
Do you think they would work with a Safari tank? I think it is doubtful
Haven't really had anything to do with the Safari Tank to know how they sit so couldn't even guess.

Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #4236
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,377
I hit 150+ kph and still had more, shit myself and backed off, I'm not built for speed, and don't have the balls for it either

Quote:

Thanks,
Rus
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:18 AM   #4237
creedyflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
182kph full noise, had nothing left. With standard TKC 80's RR filter & Wings slip on.
Creedyflyr.
creedyflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #4238
Rus
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for replies. Couldn't understand his sub 70mph quote, although based on some of his other posts he seems to have NFI.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #4239
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Thanks for replies. Couldn't understand his sub 70mph quote, although based on some of his other posts he seems to have NFI.
I'd take one out and see if you like it ...

In the dual sport pond, I'd put the 690 at the most enduro end of the scale with the old TE630 close to it - things like the Tenere, G650 and KLR come right at the other end - DR650 bang in the middle - the 690 is a sensational bike for flowing fire trails, and good fun on gravel - but I'd rather go touring on a fat Tenere - and I'd rather go flat-out fast on a 990 or well-kept old 950 ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #4240
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Backed off the throttle at about 165. 606's front and back and before fitting a damper..
Wings pipe, uni filter and akro mapping
mezcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #4241
chrisamberely
USMC. (retired).

Oddometer: 133
Question

Has any one done anything to the suspension? Just wondering how to get it happening a bit better.
chrisamberely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #4242
Rus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I'd take one out and see if you like it ...

In the dual sport pond, I'd put the 690 at the most enduro end of the scale with the old TE630 close to it - things like the Tenere, G650 and KLR come right at the other end - DR650 bang in the middle - the 690 is a sensational bike for flowing fire trails, and good fun on gravel - but I'd rather go touring on a fat Tenere - and I'd rather go flat-out fast on a 990 or well-kept old 950 ...
Yes, I agree with all the above. I actually have a TE630, bought new in June 2011, now with 12,000+kms - fantastic bike. I just couldn't understand his feedback about his new 690 (the full 690cc version), as it made no sense.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #4243
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisamberely View Post
Has any one done anything to the suspension? Just wondering how to get it happening a bit better.
Replace the fork oil and adjust the oil volume / airgap. Mine had way too much oil in one leg, and slightly overfull on the other. I now run about 115-120mm air gap and that works for my (modest) skills with "comfort" 12-15 clicks comp and rebound settings, depending on terrain and load. Rear has a 1" Koubra lowering link that softens the action at the rear. Similar dampening setting to the front, with preload adjusted again to load.

I have ridden other 690s though that I thought the suspension was just too harsh, so maybe they are variable and you just got to work with what you get.

Worth trying to set up the stock stuff IMHO before forking out $$ for upgrades.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #4244
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,031
Suspension has too much Hi-speed damping and needs atouch more rebound get this fixed with a revalve and she'll be apples
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:11 AM   #4245
chrisamberely
USMC. (retired).

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
Suspension has too much Hi-speed damping and needs atouch more rebound get this fixed with a revalve and she'll be apples
Hey thanx for the advice. I put 20000on mine and have just gotten to the point of wanting some changes. I rode the 10 model bike a little whiles back that guymcfly owns. He'd hanged his forks out for a set from an sxf, they had been revalved by factory connection (not far from my home town as a matter of fact) he also changed to 10wt oil. Back shock he ditched for an ohlins.
Man that is 1 sweetheart ride now. Feels like an mx bike on crank. real shame the wallet don't stretch that far for me.
chrisamberely is offline   Reply With Quote