Oddometer: 175
From Enduro to Motard in 20Min.

Creedy.
creedyflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #4279
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,874
Well 21000 kms and it finally bit me, after a two day weekend ride I was on the home stretch just short of Mount Mee at Neurum and I throttled off to turn and she just stopped, no go.
Tried adding some fuel just in case but qty was good anyway, Changed my high pressure fuel filter as it is external and takes two secs. The fuel pump could be heard and there was flow at the filter but couldn't tell if it was sufficient pressure. So best guess is blocked injector or pump.

Those who know me know I have taken EVERY precaution, I always fill from the servo through a Mr Funnel Filter, I have a low pressure fuel filter from the front tanks and a profilter sock on pump inlet that is changed every service, my internal high pressure filter has been replaced by an external high pressure filter which is also changed every service so it is going to be interesting to see what it is.

First thing I will do is measure the pressure output from the pump just to isolate whether it is pump or injector, anyone know approximate pressure I should be looking for.

Because we were so close too home it wasn't worth messing about so I used my RACQ Ultra to get me home but never realised that if you are between 50 and 100km from home they will only pay the first 50, if I was over 100km away it would have been all free. Luckily Bumblebee was with me and I guess we had the first ever paraplegic on a quad towing a busted KTM in. All was good until Woodford when we came across a Roadside RBT Cop but luckily saw them and ducked into CJ Pastries but not without almost crashing in the heat of the moment, way toooooooo much excitement for one day. Got the bike too within 50kms so got the RACQ tilt tray for free. they were going to charge $95 because I was 15km over the 50km mark. Stupid rule.

Be good if you can give me the fuel pump pressure output to save me searching. Thanks

Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #4280
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,321
Oh bad luck andy, hope you sort it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Well 21000 kms and it finally bit me, after a two day weekend ride I was on the home stretch just short of Mount Mee at Neurum and I throttled off to turn and she just stopped, no go.
Tried adding some fuel just in case but qty was good anyway, Changed my high pressure fuel filter as it is external and takes two secs. The fuel pump could be heard and there was flow at the filter but couldn't tell if it was sufficient pressure. So best guess is blocked injector or pump.

Those who know me know I have taken EVERY precaution, I always fill from the servo through a Mr Funnel Filter, I have a low pressure fuel filter from the front tanks and a profilter sock on pump inlet that is changed every service, my internal high pressure filter has been replaced by an external high pressure filter which is also changed every service so it is going to be interesting to see what it is.

First thing I will do is measure the pressure output from the pump just to isolate whether it is pump or injector, anyone know approximate pressure I should be looking for.

Because we were so close too home it wasn't worth messing about so I used my RACQ Ultra to get me home but never realised that if you are between 50 and 100km from home they will only pay the first 50, if I was over 100km away it would have been all free. Luckily Bumblebee was with me and I guess we had the first ever paraplegic on a quad towing a busted KTM in. All was good until Woodford when we came across a Roadside RBT Cop but luckily saw them and ducked into CJ Pastries but not without almost crashing in the heat of the moment, way toooooooo much excitement for one day. Got the bike too within 50kms so got the RACQ tilt tray for free. they were going to charge $95 because I was 15km over the 50km mark. Stupid rule.

Be good if you can give me the fuel pump pressure output to save me searching. Thanks

Andy
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #4281
Baric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
So its James fault for towing you the wrong way

Quote:

Andy
Baric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #4282
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:

Andy
Bad luck Andy...thought you had it covered.

Can't help you with the fuel pressure but I'd put my money on the pump being the culprit (or the injector ).
Seen a thing on Youtube where a fella hooks the injector up to a battery on his bench while spraying cleaner through it.

Found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7aT4S1lIBAY
Old 06-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #4283
Bumblebee1000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Grandad should have been paying more attention and not trying to drive into me. Bloody old fool lol. Was funny though, thought I was going to fill my pants for that second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baric View Post
So its James fault for towing you the wrong way

Bumblebee1000 screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 01:46 AM
Bumblebee1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #4284
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,018
[QUOTE=El Ponkin;21654400

Andy[/QUOTE]
50 psi .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:28 AM   #4285
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,840
Not sure what the actual specs are Andy but probably around the 40-45psi mark but an engine will fire and run with a lot less.
Can you feel/hear the injector working?

Gigantic night tools sugestion on how to test the injector works well to find out if an injector is flowing also gives a good indication of spray pattern.

I normally use a 9v battery to test injectors rigged up to a pump up spray bottle full of injector cleaner.

Also worth doing a quick spark check before you start pulling the fuel system apart.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:32 AM   #4286
Tribal70
n00b

Oddometer: 6
KTM 690 question

Hi, I am new here, I have recently crashed my 2008 KTM690 and smashed the headlight and speedo. I have replaced the headlight, and hunted the wreckers for a second hand speedo. With no Joy, I had to fork out $400 for a new one, then enquired regarding getting the KLM added to the speedo. The old one had just clicked over 20 000 ks. I found Otto Instruments in Brisbane, but they want $370 to add the Ks to it.

I wouldn't be concerned about a brand new speedo, but I intend to sell the bike and it would look dodgy with oooooks. Anyone know any other way to add ks to the speedo?

Gil.
Tribal70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:34 AM   #4287
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
Bad luck Andy...thought you had it covered.

Can't help you with the fuel pressure but I'd put my money on the pump being the culprit (or the injector ).
Seen a thing on Youtube where a fella hooks the injector up to a battery on his bench while spraying cleaner through it.

Found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7aT4S1lIBAY
Yes saw that before and the guy did it on here recently and reckoned it worked a treat and the bike was much smoother after, I did have a couple of pop stalls in the forest and over some rocks on the beach so I do think more likely an injector and had I been stuck in the forest I would have pulled it and cleaned it but being so close to home it wasn't worth stripping off the rally raid tanks and all that shit to get to the injector. Funny because after that video I was going to start carrying a 9 volt battery just in case, but reckon I could do it with my torch batteries or my GPS battery and a bit of lock wire. Will let you know how it goes, I have to have it working in two weeks so I might just order a spare pump from the USA as I need to carry one anyway as my mileage is getting up there and then at least it is in the post if I find it is the pump. Can you remember what model pump I need, I will have to look that up too, f *****ing Alzheimer's I researched all this before I bought the bike but is has behaved so long I have forgot it all.

Andy

Old 06-16-2013, 02:35 AM   #4288
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee1000 View Post
Grandad should have been paying more attention and not trying to drive into me. Bloody old fool lol. Was funny though, thought I was going to fill my pants for that second
Hey don't forget who washed Bumblebee after the beach for you, the least you could do was rescue your old man
Grandad

Old 06-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #4289
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Not sure what the actual specs are Andy but probably around the 40-45psi mark but an engine will fire and run with a lot less.
Can you feel/hear the injector working?

Gigantic night tools sugestion on how to test the injector works well to find out if an injector is flowing also gives a good indication of spray pattern.

I normally use a 9v battery to test injectors rigged up to a pump up spray bottle full of injector cleaner.

Also worth doing a quick spark check before you start pulling the fuel system apart.
Sparks are good, it did the occasional fire, very similar to when I had the inline filter fitted at the injector and it clogged, exactly the same effect so I am 99% sure it is fuel so will test the pressure first.

Thanks Brute and Joe for the pressure, will give it a go if I can get hold of a 50 psi gauge at work or off my mechanic son.

Thanks for the help
Andy

Old 06-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #4290
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Jeez its not my week, CA Cycleworks are out of stock of pumps until 30/6/2013, f*****g bad timing.
http://ca-cycleworks.com/fp-hus
KTM Twins is the same story but even longer !!
Anybody want to sell me their spare ??
I have to have the bike running in two weeks !
Andy