ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #4306
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere
 
Sol Erzenberg's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Adelaide - North East.
Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Lynx Fairing

Has anyone fitted one of these fairings, and given it a caning over hard roads / trails?

If so, any impressions re' durability?

And likewise re' amount of protection it offers - for example, how much better than the hard parts screen?

[pic from another ADV Rider forum - Yellow Pig]

Dont know much about them but they look good..
__________________
2009 KTM 690 R
"Thats A Sweet Noise You Got There Man, I Had You Picked Clear Across The Mallee"
2006 KTM 625 SXC
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC







Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #4307
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by 001andrew View Post
We ran 3 x Lynx fairings across from Perth to Noosa and all 3 broke the ABS dash where it folds from the triple clamp mounting. Ian from Lynx is really apologetic and sent new dash's and made a SS stiffening plate on the newer ones. He said Australians are the only ones that have had issues, probably our corrugations. One broke the clear screen after a mid speed get off on the Gun Barrel hwy as they stick up above the main body by about 2 inches and get caught easily. Lynx has a new style out that all these issues have been addressed and they look a little different. They are good and the HID lights are awesome but the balasts weigh a bit and add to the vibration and cracking issues. I would buy one but I just bought the Evo2 kit for my new 690 as I like the rally look and need a bit more room to add more junk (road book etc) The adjustable wind screen works well.
Thanks Andrew - that was the sort of experience I was hoping to uncover.

I'm not sure how many of these units have been sold in Australia - not many pics - we're pretty hard on gear on average I would think.

I'll look at the recent changes (new model) and see how it stacks up - the RR EVO-2 fairing is certainly beautiful (I have the Evo-2 tanks) but very expensive - and I'm not sure how it would fare with minor get-offs ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #4308
mrwocky117
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 149
Replacement fuel injector

Can anyone tell me if there is an aftermarket fuel injector available for the latest model 690 ? Or where can I get an OEM part at a good price ?
Cheers
mrwocky117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:03 AM   #4309
001andrew
Just Add Sand
 
001andrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Thanks Andrew - that was the sort of experience I was hoping to uncover.

I'm not sure how many of these units have been sold in Australia - not many pics - we're pretty hard on gear on average I would think.

I'll look at the recent changes (new model) and see how it stacks up - the RR EVO-2 fairing is certainly beautiful (I have the Evo-2 tanks) but very expensive - and I'm not sure how it would fare with minor get-offs ...
No worries at all mate, I know of 4 units here in oz (mates bikes) and if you get the halogen lights the dash will last longer as they weigh less. I have a brand new dash here and I am tossing up laying up some carbon copies which will stop the breakages.
The evo2 tanks are not that badly priced, only a few days pay and their on your door step. I was going to build aluminium ones but my trip is getting too close so I threw the towel in and bought one of everything rally raid make.
__________________
2013 690 with a few mods
001andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:38 AM   #4310
OutbackDreamer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
OutbackDreamer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Perth, West Australia
Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Lynx Fairing

Has anyone fitted one of these fairings, and given it a caning over hard roads / trails?

If so, any impressions re' durability?

And likewise re' amount of protection it offers - for example, how much better than the hard parts screen?

[pic from another ADV Rider forum - Yellow Pig]

I haven't had any real issues.

Even took a little lie down without breakage or damage (result from a long day in the saddle and losing concentration - on a very sandy track).


Only issue I've had is that the bolts connecting to the lower triple clamp are fiddly to connect. My last service had me losing one bolt and the other loose within the fairing, so just replaced both bolts with the original KTM bolts - no issues since.

The adjustible screen makes a hugh difference, especially when slabbing on the open road. I'm 6'2" and with the screen up it takes enough of the airflow up over my helmet to stop buffeting.
I know of others that just leave it off or have broken it. Though when on the back roads you don't need it.

Currently I've got the speedo, GPS and a voltmeter attached to the dash. with plenty more room for other electronics (two-way). The dash is quite thick and all my attachments havent moved at all.

I went with the HID low beam (for the low current draw) and it's been fine

Gaz
__________________

'09 KTM 690R - Adv
'14 Yamaha FJR1300A
Previously owned: '92 XT350, 89 FJ1200, '99 VFR800
"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien
OutbackDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #4311
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbackDreamer View Post
I haven't had any real issues.

Even took a little lie down without breakage or damage (result from a long day in the saddle and losing concentration - on a very sandy track).


Only issue I've had is that the bolts connecting to the lower triple clamp are fiddly to connect. My last service had me losing one bolt and the other loose within the fairing, so just replaced both bolts with the original KTM bolts - no issues since.

The adjustible screen makes a hugh difference, especially when slabbing on the open road. I'm 6'2" and with the screen up it takes enough of the airflow up over my helmet to stop buffeting.
I know of others that just leave it off or have broken it. Though when on the back roads you don't need it.

Currently I've got the speedo, GPS and a voltmeter attached to the dash. with plenty more room for other electronics (two-way). The dash is quite thick and all my attachments havent moved at all.

I went with the HID low beam (for the low current draw) and it's been fine

Gaz
Thanks Gaz - I haven't really worried much about the buffering until recently, but does get tiring over long rides - and more so in winter - with 16:44 gearing it's otherwise a good long-distance ride - I'll check out the weight difference b/w the halogen and HID lights - my concern with the halogen option was the power draw, and whether I could run high beam with grip warmers - haven't done the calculation but it seemed likely to be stretching things - anyway, will look into that.
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #4312
001andrew
Just Add Sand
 
001andrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
Oddometer: 73
Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Thanks Gaz - I haven't really worried much about the buffering until recently, but does get tiring over long rides - and more so in winter - with 16:44 gearing it's otherwise a good long-distance ride - I'll check out the weight difference b/w the halogen and HID lights - my concern with the halogen option was the power draw, and whether I could run high beam with grip warmers - haven't done the calculation but it seemed likely to be stretching things - anyway, will look into that.
When you get the fairing you can either opt for low beam and high beam on together (on high beam) or pull the bridge out and you get only one light on at any one time. Thats a good feature. The new wiring looms have aux power outlets too and Ian sells the double USB outlets
__________________
2013 690 with a few mods
001andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #4313
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner
 
El Ponkin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Brisbane
Oddometer: 1,895
Looks like I found my issue, low coolant, looks like a reasonable leak as its down to half level in the actual radiator. The bike engine didn't seem hot when it shut down or when I was working on it and it certainly runs fine now so I guess the ECUs monitor water temp and will shut it down if it gets high, are they that clever ? From what I read the dual ECU set up has protection circuits to shut off fuel and ignition if there is going to be an exceedance, I guess a KTM Diagnostic Tool would tell me in 5 mins. The oil level is fine and the right colour so it isn't a water pump. Will have a good look tonight, may have holed the radiator up high as no signs of leaks now. Also will check the fan operation as it was a muddy ride.

Andy
__________________
Don't Tempt Fate Taunt It, Right Here Right N0W
----------------------
KTM 690R 2011

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #4314
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
DRjoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunshine coast qld
Oddometer: 4,872
I'd do a pressure test on the coolant system Andy, Most times leaks only apear when the system is under normal opperating pressure.


Will the tune ecu program show fault codes and ecu history?
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #4315
ranui rocket
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 52
690 stator

can anyone tell me what draw the pump and injector have so I can work out lights as I don't want to put to much pull from lights to affect running,i think the stator is 225 watt so will putting 120 watts of hids be to much for it.cheers
ranui rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #4316
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by 001andrew View Post
When you get the fairing you can either opt for low beam and high beam on together (on high beam) or pull the bridge out and you get only one light on at any one time. Thats a good feature. The new wiring looms have aux power outlets too and Ian sells the double USB outlets
Thanks - that would certainly help re' power draw
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:35 AM   #4317
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner
 
El Ponkin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Brisbane
Oddometer: 1,895
Looks like a stone hit just above my Rad Guard, they have a cut out at the top, just unlucky I guess, off to the Rad Shop tomorrow.



Andy
__________________
Don't Tempt Fate Taunt It, Right Here Right N0W
----------------------
KTM 690R 2011

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #4318
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner
 
El Ponkin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Brisbane
Oddometer: 1,895
So I reckon my experience explains many spurious shutdowns of the 690.

The FI obviously monitors water temp as one of its blink codes is for the Water Temp Sensor "out of range" I presume either fully open or closed circuit would trigger the flashing FI light.
From some statements ref the dual ECU control on these engines it appears one controls the throttle input and one checks all the parameters to ensure the requested fuel doesn't exceed limits and schedules accordingly. If it sees an impending overtemp and shuts it down on the safe side before engine damage, this may explain the numerous shutdowns reported when the bike then starts again after a period of time, i.e. when it has cooled down.
Would be interesting if we could find out from the FI mob Keihin what the ECU shutdowns are as this would dispel a lot of myths with this machine. Obviously if we all had the KTM Diagnostic Units they would probably tell us straight away .
__________________
Don't Tempt Fate Taunt It, Right Here Right N0W
----------------------
KTM 690R 2011

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #4319
Big Willy
two dementional
 
Big Willy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: In Limp Mode
Oddometer: 2,103
Interesting theory Plonker.

Easy way to test...disconnect fan, monitor temp thru puter and take it to say 120 degrees.

Don't forget though that it's also Huskis and Husies in the dirtbike range that have pump issues
__________________
2012 690R Thoroughbred Racehorse
2010 700 Transalp Donkey
Big Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #4320
DirtJack
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
So I reckon my experience explains many spurious shutdowns of the 690.

The FI obviously monitors water temp as one of its blink codes is for the Water Temp Sensor "out of range" I presume either fully open or closed circuit would trigger the flashing FI light.
From some statements ref the dual ECU control on these engines it appears one controls the throttle input and one checks all the parameters to ensure the requested fuel doesn't exceed limits and schedules accordingly. If it sees an impending overtemp and shuts it down on the safe side before engine damage, this may explain the numerous shutdowns reported when the bike then starts again after a period of time, i.e. when it has cooled down.
Would be interesting if we could find out from the FI mob Keihin what the ECU shutdowns are as this would dispel a lot of myths with this machine. Obviously if we all had the KTM Diagnostic Units they would probably tell us straight away .
Get TuneECU (and a cable) and do these checks (codes, mapping, etc.) yourself. The cable is the only item you have to buy. There is one ecu, the other computer controls the throttle (ept). There are maps for both. And yes, the ecu will shut down the system if you experience temperatures too high. There is a 690 TuneECU thread.
__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014