User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #4336
001andrew
Just Add Sand

Oddometer: 74
Maiden voyage

Took her out for the maiden voyage, awesome......
Did nearly 500kms and loved it. Wasnt real keen to be riding home in the floggin down rain at 8pm though.
001andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #4337
001andrew
Just Add Sand

Nambour

I mapped out a course, well I thought it would be a nice easy ride?
From Nambour down the Obi to Boolumba creek, through to Jimna, down to Linville via Monsidale road then had planned to get to Kilkivan for lunch via Eastern Branch road. Well, we hit some hurdles and had to make our own tracks back to the main road and into Nanango for fuel. Then back off and up into the Wrettens forest just on dark!!!!!!(still 3 hours from home) Then Wayne on the Vstrom buckled his front rim and it takes a 12mm spanner for the axle nut which was somewhere between there and Nambour as his tool bag opened and spilled onto the trails. Then it started raining and Wayne rode the 150kms in the rain with a dead flat front tyre. He did really well to keep her upright and in a straight line. Loved every second of it!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #4338
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 2,012
Nice build Andrew looks sweeeeeet ! dude.
Andy
KTM 690 EFI Idiots Guide
KTM 690 Troubleshooting Guide
El Ponkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #4339
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 001andrew View Post
Did nearly 500kms and loved it. Wasnt real keen to be riding home in the floggin down rain at 8pm though.
Looks sensational ...

How does that fairing perform compared with the Lynx ... ?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #4340
001andrew
Just Add Sand

fairing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Looks sensational ...

How does that fairing perform compared with the Lynx ... ?
I am in two minds at the moment. I love the Lynx for the less bulk and HID lights, but this has the room to put more junk up front.
Good points with the RallyRaid: Better wind deflection, really easy to ride standing up, room for heaps of wanky things, looks good, well made, easy to remove to access wiring, room to store parts (clutch lever etc)
Bad points for RallyRaid: Its very hard at slow speed to see what you are about to go over, wierd feeling as the fairing stays straight while you crossed up going down a very slippery red clay hill, possible cosmetic damage when you stack. Coming from a 530 and a 2t EXC it does feel big. It weighs in at 160kg with 12 litres of fuel

Good points for the Lynx: Simple, small, still feels like a trail bike, a bit cheaper.
Bad points for the Lynx: Ease of breaking the clear screen, (but I believe the new model has made the screen less prone to breakages). Not as good wind deflection as the RR fairing

The boys on the Continental Drift ride from London to Sydney only used the standard KTM headlight with a small add on windscreen. 20,000kms, great effort. I would have whipped out the swiss army knife and whittled a bigger screen out of some good Chernobyl glow in the dark timber rather than ride that far with little more than an ice cream container lid which was fitted to their bikes.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #4341
ktmpunter
freefall guru

Stand up more......!

[QUOTE=001andrew;21767673]I am in two minds at the moment. I love the Lynx for the less bulk and HID lights, but this has the room to put more junk up front.
Good points with the RallyRaid: Better wind deflection, really easy to ride standing up, room for heaps of wanky things, looks good, well made, easy to remove to access wiring, room to store parts (clutch lever etc)
Bad points for RallyRaid: Its very hard at slow speed to see what you are about to go over, wierd feeling as the fairing stays straight while you crossed up going down a very slippery red clay hill, possible cosmetic damage when you stack. Coming from a 530 and a 2t EXC it does feel big. It weighs in at 160kg with 12 litres of fuel

Dude - stand up a lot more and you will forget its there.....
New Evo 2 stuff looks sweet and graphics are cool......
Cheers
Catman
Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #4342
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Looks awesome mate !
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #4343
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Lynx Fairing

Has anyone fitted one of these fairings, and given it a caning over hard roads / trails?

If so, any impressions re' durability?

And likewise re' amount of protection it offers - for example, how much better than the hard parts screen?

[pic from another ADV Rider forum - Yellow Pig]

Nice set up. So what's the damage $$$ on that evo2 setup and what does it take the total fuel capacity to (of the whole bike)? Only neg is - doesn't that lower RH corner of the tank sticking out make it more likely to get ground down in an off?
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #4344
001andrew
Just Add Sand

Evo2

I prefer not to count the cost and the minister of war and finance would go balistic..........Tanks were about $1250 landed and the fairing about $1400 landed. I really wanted more capacity in the front tanks, but seems I am one of the only ones who has aked RallyRaid for more range??? The front tanks are 9.7 litres total and the rear I have not filled yet but it supposed to be 4.5L. About 27 litres total including the main under seat tank. I would like the front tanks to be around 9 litres each side. Was going to build my own but time is not on my side.
Have not layed it over yet to see if the tanks touch the ground but they to be very durable and well made.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #4345
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
I prefer not to count the cost and the minister of war and finance would go balistic..........Tanks were about $1250 landed and the fairing about $1400 landed. I really wanted more capacity in the front tanks, but seems I am one of the only ones who has aked RallyRaid for more range??? The front tanks are 9.7 litres total and the rear I have not filled yet but it supposed to be 4.5L. About 27 litres total including the main under seat tank. I would like the front tanks to be around 9 litres each side. Was going to build my own but time is not on my side.
Have not layed it over yet to see if the tanks touch the ground but they to be very durable and well made.
Don't lay it over ...

They are durable and well made, but I holed one nonetheless ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:59 AM   #4346
creedyflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Went for a bash on Stockton Dunes yesterday. The 690 ate it up. Heaps of fun, Now I'm tempted to throw on My old Paddle Tire for a squirt!
Creedy.
creedyflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:18 AM   #4347
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 2,012
Update on my Rally Raid set up:

Dropped it in a creek, luckily not enough to flood it but would have been enough to fully immerse my autocom unit and Bluetooth sender, yet as soon as I fired the bike up again the music came straight on, pretty impressed.

Also stalled the bike in some tight track and was still rolling as I hit the start button and a bit of throttle several times and the FI light starting blinking at me that it wasn't happy. I figured I had upset the power up self test the ECU does and depowered the bike then did a throttle calibration with ignition on ( just slowly open and then close the throttle ) depowered and then powered it up again and then FI light cleared and the bike started with no further issues all day. Similar trick works with aircraft systems with self test features so figure the start up self test had got itself confused.

Also dropped the bike on the tarmac at about 60-70kms, just selecting my next track on the GPS instead of watching the road and didn't see an off camber corner until it was too late, anyway the Rally Raid gear was untouched the bike landed on the barkbuster end bolt/washer and footpeg and I only had a slight graze on the fairing where it sticks out the most but nothing to worry about pretty impressed considering no crashbars.

My Leatt full body armour and Neck brace kept me damage free, big bang on the lid and shredded my motocross top. What an eventful weekend.
Andy
KTM 690 EFI Idiots Guide
KTM 690 Troubleshooting Guide
El Ponkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #4348
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,173
Anyway after a bargain 690?

If it wasn't so far away, I'd buy it myself as the wheels are worth over $1000.
But with freight costs and not being able to see the bike or the seller in the flesh...I'll have to pass it by.
KTM 690 R | eBay
Old 07-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #4349
shaun66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I have finished reading all 260 pages of crap & 31 pages of problems & im still going to buy one. Just need to sell my Aprilia TuonoR. Anyone want one, great bike. Just not real good in the sand.
shaun66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #4350
-KATO-
'690R'

Oddometer: 859
Thumb G'day..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun66 View Post
I have finished reading all 260 pages of crap & 31 pages of problems & im still going to buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james928
Great looking machine, enjoy your new shiny KTM. I tried catching the old dingo on one during the sunny coast ride. It was a great bike, the only thing faster was KATO on his well worn and amazingly sideways in 4th 690.

-KATO- is offline   Reply With Quote