ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #4411
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by winna View Post
Thanks Joe for sticking up those picture for me mate.
About three o'clock this morning the wheels fell off and we can to the conclusion that the bike won't be finished on time for an early departure from Byron tomorrow morning, we have elected to push it out for another 24 hours.
The bike hasn't even been register let alone been started.
On another note this Coast to Coast run is not an attempt for the record in any way as they are apparently taking a different route taking in a lot more dirt roads and doing more sensible hours in the saddle.
More along the lines as TK had originally planned before he was diverted due to wet weather.
Craig has prepared this bike as though he is doing a Safari on it.
We're all dead keen to see it ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #4412
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
DRjoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunshine coast qld
Oddometer: 4,928
I'm disappointed in you Darren, you should be finishing the bike in the back of the ute and registering it on the way to Byron.
Work till your eyes bleed.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 AM   #4413
mrwocky117
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Brisvegas QLD Aus.
Oddometer: 154
C 2 c

The route Craig and Homer are taking has them following the border to about Hungerford then up to Birdsville then follow the existing route from there to Steep Point. There was to be two more riders trying for the existing record, but both have surcome to injuries, one with a broken arm , other with a hip replacement !! Anyway, ill be seeing homer an Hartley off on Sat morning, an checking out your work then Winna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winna View Post
Thanks Joe for sticking up those picture for me mate.
About three o'clock this morning the wheels fell off and we can to the conclusion that the bike won't be finished on time for an early departure from Byron tomorrow morning, we have elected to push it out for another 24 hours.
The bike hasn't even been register let alone been started.
On another note this Coast to Coast run is not an attempt for the record in any way as they are apparently taking a different route taking in a lot more dirt roads and doing more sensible hours in the saddle.
More along the lines as TK had originally planned before he was diverted due to wet weather.
Craig has prepared this bike as though he is doing a Safari on it.
mrwocky117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #4414
mrwocky117
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Brisvegas QLD Aus.
Oddometer: 154
HID Headlight

Anyone using a H4 HiD in there headlight and if so what wattage and what results ?
mrwocky117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #4415
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,252
I'm probably the last one to cotton on to this:

http://www.dalbymoto.com.au/blog/129-ktm700rr-exclusive

Looks interesting ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #4416
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride
 
MymoJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fernvale QLD not close enough to the desert
Oddometer: 2,795
Yeah

You are right on both counts... Looks interesting and you are about the last to cotton on to it ;)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I'm probably the last one to cotton on to this:

http://www.dalbymoto.com.au/blog/129-ktm700rr-exclusive

Looks interesting ...
__________________
Simpson Trip 2008

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233




Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #4417
Big Willy
two dementional
 
Big Willy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: In Limp Mode
Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MymoJoe View Post
You are right on both counts... Looks interesting and you are about the last to cotton on to it ;)
Cotton onto what?

__________________
2012 690R Thoroughbred Racehorse
2010 700 Transalp Donkey
Big Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #4418
podge NT
Podge NT
 
podge NT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Darwin NT
Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
Cotton onto what?


I think someone is trying to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.
__________________
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...1IWs2Hg87TZcsW
Plan, what plan, there is no plan
podge NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #4419
Big Willy
two dementional
 
Big Willy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: In Limp Mode
Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post
I think someone is trying to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.
Hahaha...mutton dressed as lamb ya reckon?
You should see what I'm up to.
I'll post a pic later on and you can let me have both barrels
__________________
2012 690R Thoroughbred Racehorse
2010 700 Transalp Donkey
Big Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #4420
podge NT
Podge NT
 
podge NT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Darwin NT
Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
Hahaha...mutton dressed as lamb ya reckon?
You should see what I'm up to.
I'll post a pic later on and you can let me have both barrels

10-4 good buddy.
__________________
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...1IWs2Hg87TZcsW
Plan, what plan, there is no plan
podge NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #4421
creedyflyr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
creedyflyr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Port Stephens NSW Australia
Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post
I think someone is trying to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.
Or if you wanted the Pigs arse you could buy a Ural
creedyflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #4422
podge NT
Podge NT
 
podge NT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Darwin NT
Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedyflyr View Post
Or if you wanted the Pigs arse you could buy a Ural

Is that from experience or by guess work?
__________________
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...1IWs2Hg87TZcsW
Plan, what plan, there is no plan
podge NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #4423
Big Willy
two dementional
 
Big Willy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: In Limp Mode
Oddometer: 2,131
Love the 690 motor and KTM engineering in general but not overfussed on the suspenders.
Having had DRZ400 forks on my DR650 and more recently having bought a DRZ400, the stock Suzuki suspension is way better for my style of riding...whatever that is

So having some spare KTM triple clamps and a spare set of DRZ forks lying around, I've decided to try them in the 690.
Initially I was going to use the Suzuki wheel but the KTM is so much better engineered with respect to strength around the bearing supports and sealing.

So made some spacers to take the 49mm Zook forks into the 60mm lower and 54mm upper KTM clamps.

Next step was to make spacers to take the Zook axle which is 20mm to 26mm for the KTM bearings.

I'll use a Nissin caliper from a WR450 which hopefully will mate to the Brembo master cylinder.

Next step is to pinch a bit of 10mm ally plate to make a brake adapter for the larger diameter KTM disc (300mm as opposed to Zook's 250mm)







__________________
2012 690R Thoroughbred Racehorse
2010 700 Transalp Donkey
Big Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:14 AM   #4424
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie
 
BygDaddee's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Brisbane Northside, OZ
Oddometer: 1,432
Wow, DRZ forks over the 690 forks, I admire your engineering capability but just can't imagine them being better, I've owned a DRZ as well.

I was just riding on the weekend on my 690 thinking just how much I loved the stock suspension, especially the forks. I quite often think about the complaints that I hear about 690 stock suspenders and wonder if it suits me cause I'm a pretty heavy guy that just rides it at an average pace and my weight is the factor that takes the harshness out of it that people complain about.

I can also now use my KLE 500 to appreciate just how good the 690 suspension is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
Love the 690 motor and KTM engineering in general but not overfussed on the suspenders.
Having had DRZ400 forks on my DR650 and more recently having bought a DRZ400, the stock Suzuki suspension is way better for my style of riding...whatever that is

So having some spare KTM triple clamps and a spare set of DRZ forks lying around, I've decided to try them in the 690.
Initially I was going to use the Suzuki wheel but the KTM is so much better engineered with respect to strength around the bearing supports and sealing.

So made some spacers to take the 49mm Zook forks into the 60mm lower and 54mm upper KTM clamps.

Next step was to make spacers to take the Zook axle which is 20mm to 26mm for the KTM bearings.

I'll use a Nissin caliper from a WR450 which hopefully will mate to the Brembo master cylinder.

Next step is to pinch a bit of 10mm ally plate to make a brake adapter for the larger diameter KTM disc (300mm as opposed to Zook's 250mm)
__________________
Relax and enjoy the journey, not just the destination.
2013 WR450F(The best bike KTM never built) and BMW G650GS Sertao (The refined mans DR)
Pauls Spot Tracker http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mgxmQRRUCqrKiY
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:11 AM   #4425
podge NT
Podge NT
 
podge NT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Darwin NT
Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
Love the 690 motor and KTM engineering in general but not overfussed on the suspenders.
Having had DRZ400 forks on my DR650 and more recently having bought a DRZ400, the stock Suzuki suspension is way better for my style of riding...whatever that is

So having some spare KTM triple clamps and a spare set of DRZ forks lying around, I've decided to try them in the 690.
Initially I was going to use the Suzuki wheel but the KTM is so much better engineered with respect to strength around the bearing supports and sealing.

So made some spacers to take the 49mm Zook forks into the 60mm lower and 54mm upper KTM clamps.

Next step was to make spacers to take the Zook axle which is 20mm to 26mm for the KTM bearings.

I'll use a Nissin caliper from a WR450 which hopefully will mate to the Brembo master cylinder.

Next step is to pinch a bit of 10mm ally plate to make a brake adapter for the larger diameter KTM disc (300mm as opposed to Zook's 250mm)







That will be an improvement. I reckon the only bad thing on my 690 was the front end. Apart from it's inability to sustain 150 km/hr for more than 15 minutes.
__________________
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...1IWs2Hg87TZcsW
Plan, what plan, there is no plan
podge NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014