User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2008, 10:22 PM   #61
Rednut
Orange Bike, Orange nut

Oddometer: 21
Wink I've benn bitten too

After a long stink without the 640a I put down a deposit yesterday on the 690e.

Its a very different bike. not so much the old lounge chair but now a very fast enduro bike.

Can't wait to head out to the bush this weekend and get a better feel for it with some knobbies and the wings pipe on it.
Rednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:13 AM   #62
BigM
Hello :-)

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck in Oz
Screen-check, rack-check. 1 big tank and it's a sale.
I didn't need stiffer springs on the long legged 640Adv when loaded up. But I wonder if the 690E's slightly chopped suspension will need beefier springs if you plan to pile some travel gear weight on it?
All reports on the 690 E put its suspension a league above that of the 640. But even on a 640 you would need to adjust your suspension if you stick ~40KG on the back. The 690E has some good carrying capacity, both front axel, rear axel and combined.

For those that care, the 690 threadfest in thumpers has lots and lots of info (including the power boosts in 1st and 2nd gears) look at the last 50 pages for actual ride reports etc.
Leo Vince X3 Pipe, Scotts Steering Dampner, Woody's Rear Wheel + Cush Hub, Race Tech Gold Suspension, 18L Tank, Bark busters, Trail Tech SCMR16 HID Helmet Mount, Comfort Seat, Bark Busters, Stealth Sproket, Trail Tech X2, Michelin Desert

Cedo Nulli
BigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:46 AM   #63
Dirt Doctor
Geographicallyembarrassed

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck in Oz
Screen-check, rack-check. 1 big tank and it's a sale.
I didn't need stiffer springs on the long legged 640Adv when loaded up. But I wonder if the 690E's slightly chopped suspension will need beefier springs if you plan to pile some travel gear weight on it?
As if you are going to buy one Rod you tight arse.....

950SE back on the agenda now the big tank is out
2001 KTM 400 EXC Motard
1989 U1700 Unimog Doka-The ultimate support vehicle
Dirt Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:23 AM   #64
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM
look at the last 50 pages for actual ride reports etc.
i was hoping for an abstract by someone who's ridden it locally and isn't sponsored by ktm...

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:17 AM   #65
Canuck in Oz
you still here

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Doctor
As if you are going to buy one Rod you tight arse.....

Wait Rob... (a few months later)...
Canuck in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #66
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,678
I am in alice

On my way across the Simpson - Test rode a 690 in Dalby on the way through.... sat on one today in alice... I want one!!!!!!!!!!!! a 690E is horn.. if I could scrap the money up I would of bought the 690 Rallye in Alice today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would certainly put a horn on a jelly fish!~

Joe

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #67
BigM
Hello :-)

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
i was hoping for an abstract by someone who's ridden it locally and isn't sponsored by ktm...
They are there, there is a Malaysian dude in the US that bought one and has a good couple of 'experiances' posts. Most of the US bikes melt their indicators, the EU ones do not, there are many regualar joe blows there (in that thread) that have them and have got km on the clock, some with several thousand km already. Given there are so few in Oz, its probably the only place you will see many ride reports on them.

Alternatively... you buy one, post here your thoughts :) which I like the idea of :)
Leo Vince X3 Pipe, Scotts Steering Dampner, Woody's Rear Wheel + Cush Hub, Race Tech Gold Suspension, 18L Tank, Bark busters, Trail Tech SCMR16 HID Helmet Mount, Comfort Seat, Bark Busters, Stealth Sproket, Trail Tech X2, Michelin Desert

Cedo Nulli
BigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #68
scotsmun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaygo
On my way across the Simpson - Test rode a 690 in Dalby on the way through.... sat on one today in alice... I want one!!!!!!!!!!!! a 690E is horn.. if I could scrap the money up I would of bought the 690 Rallye in Alice today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would certainly put a horn on a jelly fish!~

Joe

Who in Alice has a rallye for sale??? I have phoned a couple of places and no one has fessed up to having one
Old 07-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #69
rosscoact OP
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,462
Quote:
Ride a 690 and you'll understand I went riding today with Seth S on his 690, Chris on his 530 and me on the X Challenge. On the muddy rocky trails, they smoked me, but on the fire roads, I could easily pull by the 530, but not the 690 Seth left me like I ran out of gas.
I love the sound of this, off a thread by a guy who traded a 530 for a 690

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:26 PM   #70
wheelan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
It looks like it would suit an ABag and expedition panniers to me, or able to be modified anyway
I had an AA bag on back and and when tightened down it pulled the bag too far forward and I ended up sitting on it, shit me to tears. I bought the gen KTm rear bag and it is great, esp when you have to fill up, just pull the quick release and lift off. The AAbag had to be loosened right off, PITA. Anyone want to buy an AA bag??
wheelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #71
wheelan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I'm lovin this bike so far, check my posts by clicking on Wheelan, most are in the 690 threadfest. Snow ride yesterday was fun.
wheelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:15 AM   #72
jfn68
Banned

Oddometer: 620
What are the engines like in the way they deliver their power?,like the lc4 or a bit more revy?
jfn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:01 AM   #73
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,678
race motorcycles has it

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsmun
Who in Alice has a rallye for sale??? I have phoned a couple of places and no one has fessed up to having one
Race MC have it..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:58 PM   #74
outbackflyer
Of.

Oddometer: 184
690 Adv

The 690 E is very "roadie", with the alloy peg mounts, hard slim seat, small fuel cell , huge heavy silencer,(as per usual).
The 690 Adv wont be in OZ till end of 09,
Both will need suspention upgrades,aftermarket silencer, a stabalizer, racks too, plan to spend another $5K to build a nice bike.
The headlight / instrument body is weak,(light) and will shake to pieces on dirt,its out of the SM box.
Its a mistake to do away with the kick starter option on this light single 650cc bike, it just makes them more un reliable in the bush, carry some jump leads like I do on the 950SE.
Aqualine are 8 months late with the tank for the SE950, they will need a huge order list before thinking of making a retro tank for the 690, and will it pass ADR as a front tank where no tank was before??
I would like the engine in a modified 640 Adv frame.
Just opinions.Cheers.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:56 AM   #75
Bronx
Bronx

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackflyer
The 690 E is very "roadie", with the alloy peg mounts, hard slim seat, small fuel cell , huge heavy silencer,(as per usual).
The 690 Adv wont be in OZ till end of 09,
Both will need suspention upgrades,aftermarket silencer, a stabalizer, racks too, plan to spend another $5K to build a nice bike.
The headlight / instrument body is weak,(light) and will shake to pieces on dirt,its out of the SM box.
Its a mistake to do away with the kick starter option on this light single 650cc bike, it just makes them more un reliable in the bush, carry some jump leads like I do on the 950SE.
Aqualine are 8 months late with the tank for the SE950, they will need a huge order list before thinking of making a retro tank for the 690, and will it pass ADR as a front tank where no tank was before??
I would like the engine in a modified 640 Adv frame.
Just opinions.Cheers.
Thanks for the feedback and thoughts. I took a 690E for a test ride last week. It feels good to ride and put a smile on my face. I am not overly concerned about the size of the tank as I have learnt to make do with the SE's small tank by carrying extra fuel at times. I am a bit worried about the headlight but.........I usually break everything on my bikes anyway

Bruce

KTM 625 SXC

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596286

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561584

If you don't get lost it is not an adventure .
Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote