ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #76
twotyred
Practising Recedivist
 
twotyred's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Bruthen Victoria
Oddometer: 1,888
Like a lot of people around, I would (will) go out on a limb to purchase a 690 Adventure.....whenever they arrive.

I would also be very happy if I could shoehorn the 690 engine into my '03 640. Great bike, but the vibes get to me sometimes.
__________________
If you succeed at first...don't look surprised!!

More enthusiasm than ability!!
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #77
Knackers
Polishing Turds
 
Knackers's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Drinking Vic, Qld & NSW Sewerage, Adelaide SA
Oddometer: 4,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
Mate, I would have bought a 640A before now if it was 50mm shorter but I'm really looking forward to it.
Rossco, how tall are you?
__________________
How the hell did you get all this together?

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #78
rosscoact OP
need constant supervision
 
rosscoact's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Canberra ACT
Oddometer: 5,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knackers
Rossco, how tall are you?
180 or 5'10" but I think it may have something to do with the seat shape too. the DRZ is 940 seat height but that's ok, narrow seat lighter weight. I got scared off tall pigs by the 1150GSA, big fat cunt of a thing.

Not that there's anything wrong with the GSA, just too little skill, too much weight, too much crap in the panniers combined with shortarse legs and a wide seat.
__________________
Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out? Will Rogers

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #79
GodSilla
I did that.
 
GodSilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Village Idiot's residence
Oddometer: 7,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
180 or 5'10" but I think it may have something to do with the seat shape too. the DRZ is 940 seat height but that's ok, narrow seat lighter weight. I got scared off tall pigs by the 1150GSA, big fat cunt of a thing.

Not that there's anything wrong with the GSA, just too little skill, too much weight, too much crap in the panniers combined with shortarse legs and a wide seat.
I'm 5' 10.5" and sure it's a long way to the ground on my 640Adventure, but the idea is not to fall off. Skill comes from practice, not quitting.
I know what you're saying about big tall pigs, however it comes down to familiarity, confidence, and technique. I have an 1150GS, and while I lust after a GSA I've ridden a couple and frankly they didn't feel as secure as my normal cooking-model GS. I dunno why. Once mobile it sort of goes away, but I still prefer mine. As for the KTM, all non-giants have the same complaint about it being a looong way to the ground. Just swallow your fear and get on with it. You soon learn to take care when stopping that the ground doesn't slope away from you.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:19 AM   #80
rosscoact OP
need constant supervision
 
rosscoact's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Canberra ACT
Oddometer: 5,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
I'm 5' 10.5" and sure it's a long way to the ground on my 640Adventure, but the idea is not to fall off. Skill comes from practice, not quitting.
I know what you're saying about big tall pigs, however it comes down to familiarity, confidence, and technique. I have an 1150GS, and while I lust after a GSA I've ridden a couple and frankly they didn't feel as secure as my normal cooking-model GS. I dunno why. Once mobile it sort of goes away, but I still prefer mine. As for the KTM, all non-giants have the same complaint about it being a looong way to the ground. Just swallow your fear and get on with it. You soon learn to take care when stopping that the ground doesn't slope away from you.
Tom,
It's not really a question of fear. I've had a think and dropping a bike is all part of the deal, no biggie, just get on and do it. I think perhaps the biggest joy I get out of the DRZ is that I drop it, dust myself off and then pick the fucker up.

No unloading, no need to get someone to help, no having a little cry inside the goggles, no strained back etc etc.

There is big sacrifices to make in terms of comfort but the bike I want is primarily a trail bike that without much effort I can go longer distances on. That's where the 690e comes in.
__________________
Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out? Will Rogers

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:52 AM   #81
GodSilla
I did that.
 
GodSilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Village Idiot's residence
Oddometer: 7,294
I wasn't implying you're chicken, poor choice of words on my part. Sorry.
I can relate directly to the strained back part. A particularly painful ride from the top of Mt Coree and a week off work. That'll teach me to cut hardwood sleepers with a blunt chainsaw the day before I go riding. And it never gets better either.

I gotta say the 640 Adventure is the tallest bike I ever threw a leg over, and at first it is disconcerting, but I just got used to it like every other bike that was taller then the last one. It's great as a traillie mainly 'cos there's usually bugger all really slow stuff, and as a single tracker it could be done but I've got an XR for that shit. Are you going to the TTT? You're welcome to give my Adventure a run if you do.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 AM   #82
rosscoact OP
need constant supervision
 
rosscoact's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Canberra ACT
Oddometer: 5,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
I wasn't implying you're chicken, poor choice of words on my part. Sorry.
I can relate directly to the strained back part. A particularly painful ride from the top of Mt Coree and a week off work. That'll teach me to cut hardwood sleepers with a blunt chainsaw the day before I go riding. And it never gets better either.

I gotta say the 640 Adventure is the tallest bike I ever threw a leg over, and at first it is disconcerting, but I just got used to it like every other bike that was taller then the last one. It's great as a traillie mainly 'cos there's usually bugger all really slow stuff, and as a single tracker it could be done but I've got an XR for that shit. Are you going to the TTT? You're welcome to give my Adventure a run if you do.
You're on. I wasn't sure whether I could get there but with the holidays goin the way of the dodo, I'm all for it.
__________________
Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out? Will Rogers

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:12 AM   #83
Curly 69
n00b
 
Curly 69's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Canberra, Oz
Oddometer: 1
Hi Ross, welcome to the fold. After you bought the GSA I bit the bullet and got another 640A. It's a fantastic ride. If only I could get EFI into it.
Curly 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:03 AM   #84
Jutta
Into the remote places
 
Jutta's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Logan, Australia
Oddometer: 496
There is a test on the 690E in the latest edition of Trailzone.
Jutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #85
rosscoact OP
need constant supervision
 
rosscoact's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Canberra ACT
Oddometer: 5,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelan
I had an AA bag on back and and when tightened down it pulled the bag too far forward and I ended up sitting on it, shit me to tears. I bought the gen KTm rear bag and it is great, esp when you have to fill up, just pull the quick release and lift off. The AAbag had to be loosened right off, PITA. Anyone want to buy an AA bag??
finally found a decent pic of the racks over on the Us site and I see what you mean



The only trouble is I carry a sleeping bag, chair and hammock in the Abag. Unless a decent front tank comes out I'll be back to looking like the Clampetts on vacation I guess
__________________
Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out? Will Rogers

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #86
oziexplorer
fugarewe tribe member
 
oziexplorer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Perth, West Oz
Oddometer: 1,170
Talking

The 690Enduro-R model looks like it's more up Australia's alley....
Same engine specs, but with more suspension travel. 250mm Vs 275mm
Noice.
__________________
Cheers,
Dave
KTM 950sm
oziexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #87
rosscoact OP
need constant supervision
 
rosscoact's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Canberra ACT
Oddometer: 5,493
Goodness me, who'da thunk that this thread would need to be resuscitated?
__________________
Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out? Will Rogers

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #88
carmima
All Orange :-)
 
carmima's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Rivers, NSW
Oddometer: 2,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
Goodness me, who'da thunk that this thread would need to be resuscitated?

and it needed to be resuscitated for what reason - haven't lashed out and bought one have we??
carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #89
rosscoact OP
need constant supervision
 
rosscoact's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Canberra ACT
Oddometer: 5,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmima
and it needed to be resuscitated for what reason - haven't lashed out and bought one have we??
Impulse purchases are a terrible thing. I had absolutely no plans, the WRR was it but when Hotdogs posted this 12 hours after I decided to sell the DRZ, what's a bloke to do

Mines the one on the left
__________________
Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out? Will Rogers

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #90
Knackers
Polishing Turds
 
Knackers's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Drinking Vic, Qld & NSW Sewerage, Adelaide SA
Oddometer: 4,747
You poor bastard.

Mudders rode that and flogged it to death. Caveat Emptor.
__________________
How the hell did you get all this together?

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014