ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
BSR OP
Happy at the back
 
BSR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Welsh Marches
Oddometer: 232
Book: Red Tape & White Knuckles aka 'Lois 2'

Just wondering if anyone else has read Lois Pryce's second book?
I had mine on order, prepaid through amazon ready for its release.

For those trying to decide whether to buy it or not... BUY IT!
For those who haven't either heard of it or thought of buying it... BUY IT!

Fantastic read, not quite as 'rough and ready' at the start as Lois On The Loose, but once you get into it it's superbly written and you genuinely feel the rollercoaster of emotions with her.
Awesome book.

I've been reading mine at home, but mostly at work during my break on night shifts. I wonder if Lois realises that her adventure, just for a few minutes everyday makes someone elses life worth living by drawing them into an adventure on another continent and letting them forget the daily drudgery of life. One day i'll get to one of Lois's public appearences and offer my thanks to her.

I can't wait for her next adventure.

If you have no idea what i'm on about, go to amazon and buy this one;

and once you're buzzing after reading it, buy this one;


Cheers!
__________________

BSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
Wildman
In my castle
 
Wildman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Kent
Oddometer: 17,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR
Just wondering if anyone else has read Lois Pryce's second book?
I had mine on order, prepaid through amazon ready for its release.

For those trying to decide whether to buy it or not... BUY IT!
For those who haven't either heard of it or thought of buying it... BUY IT!

Fantastic read, not quite as 'rough and ready' at the start as Lois On The Loose, but once you get into it it's superbly written and you genuinely feel the rollercoaster of emotions with her.
Awesome book.

I've been reading mine at home, but mostly at work during my break on night shifts. I wonder if Lois realises that her adventure, just for a few minutes everyday makes someone elses life worth living by drawing them into an adventure on another continent and letting them forget the daily drudgery of life. One day i'll get to one of Lois's public appearences and offer my thanks to her.

I can't wait for her next adventure.

If you have no idea what i'm on about, go to amazon and buy this one;

Cheers!
Don't have much time for her after her interview with Boorman for TBM; "fantastic read" or not. Maybe I'll relent one day.

I'm reading this at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it:

__________________
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Don't have much time for her after her interview with Boorman for TBM; "fantastic read" or not. Maybe I'll relent one day.

I'm reading this at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it:

I have even less time for Mike Carter, if he's the journo I'm thinking of. Get s a divorce, fleet street paper buys him a 1200GS, he does a short tour of Europe for free and writes about it in the Travel Section. He hadn't even passed his bike test before the series got commissioned.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Wildman
In my castle
 
Wildman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Kent
Oddometer: 17,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
I have even less time for Mike Carter, if he's the journo I'm thinking of. Get s a divorce, fleet street paper buys him a 1200GS, he does a short tour of Europe for free and writes about it in the Travel Section. He hadn't even passed his bike test before the series got commissioned.
So what's the issue? You got a problem with divorcees or something? He wouldn't deny any of what you say but I really can't see the problem, Ray. At least he doesn't belittle and ridicule the efforts of others like Lois did. He just had an adventure and wrote about it in an entertaining and a pretty unassuming way if the first twelve chapters are anything to judge.
__________________
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
So what's the issue? You got a problem with divorcees or something? He wouldn't deny any of what you say but I really can't see the problem, Ray. At least he doesn't belittle and ridicule the efforts of others like Lois did. He just had an adventure and wrote about it in an entertaining and a pretty unassuming way if the first twelve chapters are anything to judge.
He's just a wagon-jumping journo, that's all. I get just as irritated with bike journos My Latest Free Holiday puff-pieces.

And of course I don't have anything against divorcees - I am one .

If I were going to buy books by journos I'd probably take Dan Walsh's These Are the Days That Must Happen to You. Walsh may be basically an alcoholic waster on a bike, but he spent 4 years in the saddle and paid for it working in bars and free-lancing.

Don't let my cynicism ruin the book for you, it's no biggy really.

And I don't know the Lois v Charlie thing.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Wildman
In my castle
 
Wildman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Kent
Oddometer: 17,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
He's just a wagon-jumping journo, that's all...
As opposed to....Ewan and Charley! No, wait a minute, wagon-jumping actor and his best-mate.

You just don't like "journos"!

Ps. I guess we should stop pissing in BSR's thread - sorry BSR!
__________________
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
As opposed to....Ewan and Charley! No, wait a minute, wagon-jumping actor and his best-mate.
E&C are almost single-handedly responsible for a 40% jump in BMW GS sales. You have one yourself Paul (and a fine beast it looks too!).

Lois Pryce, Ted Simon, all those old school RTW travellers have all - to some extent - had a new lease of life thanks to the 'adventure' bikes, books, docs, etc.

I'd bet that 5 years ago you'd be hard pressed to find a second copy of some of these publications, now we have sequels to these 'seminal' works (which means that Pryce is kinda biting the hand that feeds her, if she's publicly attacked Boorman).

Mike Carter couldn't hold a candle to any of them, under any circumstances

And that's why he's a wagon-jumper. And not even a biker, to all intents and purposes.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Ps. I guess we should stop pissing in BSR's thread - sorry BSR!
I'm sure he doesn't mind

You should take a look at what flies on the Aussie forum
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:24 AM   #9
BSR OP
Happy at the back
 
BSR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Welsh Marches
Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
I'm sure he doesn't mind
No, you carry on chaps...

As to the article in TBM where she interviewed Charley from a certain 'angle', i thought it was a little harsh when i read it, but you have to bear in mind that she did her trips in a much more isolated (hardcore?) fashion.
There's no argument that Ewan and Charley physically did the miles and you can't take that away from them, but they did have the comfort blanket of back-up in the shape of support vehicles (which were necessary for the filming etc). I can't remember any part of their DVD where they were sat on a train at night holding their bike, surrounded by Kalashnikov-toting drunk and stoned Congalese soldiers wondering if they would escape with their lives or just get raped...

Anyhow, back to the original subject of my post which was to say that I loved the book, as i did the first and that I can't wait for her next adventure. She's given me a modicum of happiness in each dreary day.
__________________

BSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:52 AM   #10
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Market Deeping, Lincs UK
Oddometer: 427
Lois and Co

Too many negative waves man!
I've watched the DVDs, read the offending article and so on. You can't deny that its brought "adventure" back into many lives. Some of us are fortunate (and have the large dangly bits) to get off our backsides and do it.--as the saying goes--"life's too short--go ride!!"

ps I'm now at bus pass age and I'm still trying to do the odd enduro---for those that want some offroad training then you could do far worse than join TBEC (the Trail Bike Enduro Club)--here's a link to the 12 hour team event last weekend--I did the travelling marshall bit this time (I reckon harder than riding)--and I managed the stream crossing a few times without dunking it .
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cMkryKEQK7w

Regards, Chris
Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:15 AM   #11
Wildman
In my castle
 
Wildman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Kent
Oddometer: 17,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
...Mike Carter couldn't hold a candle to any of them, under any circumstances ...


Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
....And that's why he's a wagon-jumper. And not even a biker, to all intents and purposes.


He's not better, he's not worse, he's just different. Doesn't even pretend to be a biker. He's just a sad guy who's life lacks some meaning after a divorce and realising that he's 42, tries to find it scooting round Europe on a GS. If you've got a problem with him writing about his exploits for a Fleet Street rag then you should also have a problem with Lois serialising her adventure in TBM and Ewan and Charley doing the TV. Carter's not in the same league in terms of being a "hard-core" rider but that's what makes it plausible as an adventure. As you said originally, he couldn't even ride when he first committed himself to the trip. You don't have to bleed engine oil to be a biker; JFDI.
__________________
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:21 AM   #12
Wildman
In my castle
 
Wildman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Kent
Oddometer: 17,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR
No, you carry on chaps...

As to the article in TBM where she interviewed Charley from a certain 'angle', i thought it was a little harsh when i read it, but you have to bear in mind that she did her trips in a much more isolated (hardcore?) fashion.
There's no argument that Ewan and Charley physically did the miles and you can't take that away from them, but they did have the comfort blanket of back-up in the shape of support vehicles (which were necessary for the filming etc). I can't remember any part of their DVD where they were sat on a train at night holding their bike, surrounded by Kalashnikov-toting drunk and stoned Congalese soldiers wondering if they would escape with their lives or just get raped...

Anyhow, back to the original subject of my post which was to say that I loved the book, as i did the first and that I can't wait for her next adventure. She's given me a modicum of happiness in each dreary day.
Lois is a outstanding "adventurer". She just didn't need to belittle Boorman's efforts simply because they weren't as hard-core as she was. I have some sympathy for her opinions when looking at LWD but LWR was a tough journey and as Ray said, brought many people to the World of biking. She took the cheap shots during and after the interview and the way TBM backed her up was a disgrace; I cancelled my subscription.
__________________
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:29 AM   #13
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
He's not better, he's not worse, he's just different. Doesn't even pretend to be a biker. He's just a sad guy who's life lacks some meaning after a divorce and realising that he's 42, tries to find it scooting round Europe on a GS.; JFDI.
What's JFDI?

Mike Carter is perfectly entitled to his holiday around Europe. I'm just not going to read about it (and I tried, in the Sunday-Whatitsname). He might as well have done DAS on a Harley.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #14
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbarnes1
ps I'm now at bus pass age and I'm still trying to do the odd enduro---for those that want some offroad training then you could do far worse than join TBEC (the Trail Bike Enduro Club)--here's a link to the 12 hour team event last weekend--I did the travelling marshall bit this time (I reckon harder than riding)--and I managed the stream crossing a few times without dunking it .
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cMkryKEQK7w

Regards, Chris
Cool video Chris #

Who's the poor sod trying to kickstart his bike a million times at the start?

Don't worry about me and Paul, we're just jousting
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #15
Wildman
In my castle
 
Wildman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Kent
Oddometer: 17,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
What's JFDI?...
Just F*#"ing Do It!

Ps. nice video Chris; great fun!
__________________
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN

Wildman screwed with this post 06-29-2008 at 07:44 AM
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014