Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #46
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Star
...but they all deserve respect...
My point exactly!

Welcome to the site! Are you Bob or Vic?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:17 AM   #47
BSR OP
Happy at the back

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Star
I'm reading Lois's new book at present & like 'Lois on the Loose' & the lady herself, it's a gas. In fact I again spent a little time with her at the UK Horizons Unlimited Meeting this last weekend & I think that it goes without saying that she takes a humorous view of the world as indeed her husband Austin does. The pair of them are very humourous, entertaining & makes another great double act! They bring laughter & happiness to a room as indeed Charlie & Ewan entertain in there own way. I think though much of what they all say shouldn't be taken too seriously. They are entertainers after all & they aren't out to prove anything, just to live & enjoy life their way & what a way! What Lois & Austin do is very different to how E&C do things, but they all deserve respect. I say “good on all of them”... & to everyone else... “buy the books & enjoy them, I am.”
Star! Glad to know i'm not on my own in my enjoyment of her books.
Good to have someone return to my original topic too!!!

BSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:51 AM   #48
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR
...Good to have someone return to my original topic too!!!

Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 07-16-2008, 02:48 AM   #49
stevo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
I read the first Lois book and thought it was great,thought her travel companion was a right bitch and i would have slagged her off as well had i wrote a book,and im looking forward to the second one.It would be too boring and straightforward without a bit of whinging and personal feelings.

If Lois was treating Boorman badly, then maybe its because of other reasons we dont know about.Not just cos hes a corporate face (IMO)adventurer.
stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #50
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo
... If Lois was treating Boorman badly, then maybe its because of other reasons we dont know about.Not just cos hes a corporate face (IMO)adventurer.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:53 PM   #51
stevo
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 07-19-2008, 12:25 AM   #52
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Splendid response. Cut me too the quick. Well done.

Back on subject (kind of), I bought this:

Some pretty basic stuff in places but enjoyed the read and some helpful tips here and there.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #53
BSR OP
Happy at the back

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
im looking forward to the second one
Go to Amazon stevo, it's still being discounted.
Brilliant read, you'll love it.
I agree totally about the 'slagging off' in the first book. I dread to think how i'd come accross if i wrote a book!

BSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #54
stevo
Gnarly Adventurer

My friend was supposed to get me a copy at the HU meeting off Lois herself,autographed i think, and post it over to me but i aint heard anything yet. In hindsight i should have just bought a copy here. Im not really that botherd if it has an autograph in it,i just wanna read it.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:28 AM   #55
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Just finished Lois on the Loose, and enjoyed it. For some odd reason I thought Lois' trip was back in the 1980s; I must be thinking of some other lady adventurer..or maybe Ted Simon dyed his hair red

Apropos of 'adventure', I liked this quote:

"Adventure is a personal thing, it means whatever you want it to. To me it means having a go at something that might be exciting or difficult, just to see if I can"
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:14 AM   #56
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
Just finished Lois on the Loose, and enjoyed it. For some odd reason I thought Lois' trip was back in the 1980s; I must be thinking of some other lady adventurer..or maybe Ted Simon dyed his hair red

Apropos of 'adventure', I liked this quote:

"Adventure is a personal thing, it means whatever you want it to. To me it means having a go at something that might be exciting or difficult, just to see if I can"
Hey, Ray.

Just re-reading Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon you might wanna... oh no, wait, he's a journo being paid to do it by the Sunday Times.

Forget it, you wouldn't enjoy it.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:50 AM   #57
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Hey, Ray.

Just re-reading Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon you might wanna... oh no, wait, he's a journo being paid to do it by the Sunday Times.

Forget it, you wouldn't enjoy it.

I thought Simon was factory-sponsored? He did, what, 54 countries? In the 1970s to boot.

I finished Lois' second book, and came to the conclusion that I never want to ride through Africa! The Americas journey really appeals to me though.
IBA #40578

Old 07-30-2008, 02:40 AM   #58
foolonastrom
Fool on a Strom

Oddometer: 358
I've NOT read this full thread, so forgive me if I repeat what has been said already.

Just finishing Red Tape and White Knuckles, and whilst I've enjoyed the book, I've not found it inspiring. After reading LWR, I wanted to go to Mongolia, after reading Jupiters Travels I wanted to ride through Africa, after reading RTWK, I want to go on a nice safe beach holiday to the Med.

I've probably read as good ride reports on here as any books, especially Lois' (See 'Angola, It's not like what they said' if you wan't to be inspired). I quite like her writing style, but until the last bit of the book I didn't feel any of her emotions, didn't get the highs and lows of any trip, it was more just a I went here, then here, then I met this annoying person, or this nice person.

She slags off Boorman, but in RTD I felt his ups and downs, I could relate to what he was doing and feeling, not sure if he wrote the book himself, or if it was ghost written, but I felt it was a better writing style.

Anywho, enjoyed the books, but wouldn't say they were the best books ever, prefered LWR and RTD (Not read LWD), don't see why she has such a problem with Charlie, she just makes herself look like a bit of a whiner.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:39 AM   #59
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolonastrom
I've NOT read this full thread, so forgive me if I repeat what has been said already.

Just finishing Red Tape and White Knuckles, and whilst I've enjoyed the book, I've not found it inspiring. After reading LWR, I wanted to go to Mongolia, after reading Jupiters Travels I wanted to ride through Africa, after reading RTWK, I want to go on a nice safe beach holiday to the Med.

I've probably read as good ride reports on here as any books, especially Lois' (See 'Angola, It's not like what they said' if you wan't to be inspired). I quite like her writing style, but until the last bit of the book I didn't feel any of her emotions, didn't get the highs and lows of any trip, it was more just a I went here, then here, then I met this annoying person, or this nice person.

She slags off Boorman, but in RTD I felt his ups and downs, I could relate to what he was doing and feeling, not sure if he wrote the book himself, or if it was ghost written, but I felt it was a better writing style.

Anywho, enjoyed the books, but wouldn't say they were the best books ever, prefered LWR and RTD (Not read LWD), don't see why she has such a problem with Charlie, she just makes herself look like a bit of a whiner.
That's pretty much how I feel about it; the fact that Lois' books are selling must be down, at least in part, to the explosion of 'adventure motorcycling' as a genre.

I felt she'd been pretty lucky at some points in RTWK. The book was also more travelogue than bikers journal (perhaps at an editor's insistence) and I found myself wanting to know more about the bike, prep, overlanding, etc.
IBA #40578

Old 07-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #60
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolonastrom

What he said.