User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #31
ironbrewer OP
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
Rwanf,

Just got my jetting woes fixed I think. It idles beautifully and seems to run excellently. I'll have to bring it on a long multi-elevation ride to find out for sure. I did some research and found out the dynojet needles for the klx300 sometimes did not fit properly. You either have to drill out the hole it goes through in the slide or sand down the collar with the clips in it. It appears it only happens on some bikes because the carb manufacturer had a couple different casts for the slide. So I sanded it down, put it on the 4th clip from the top, put in the 120 main jet, and it fired right up and idled great.

Hope it works well on the long ride.

Jim

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #32
ironbrewer OP
Hopefully Riding

My bike is slowly transforming into MY BIKE!!

I'll be riding it in about 4 hours too!!

Pat Paulsen
Old 07-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #33
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer
My bike is slowly transforming into MY BIKE!!

I'll be riding it in about 4 hours too!!
3 hrs for me, Had a blast yesterday, found some nasty old roads and some very overgrown single track. Small bikes are great. don't miss my 610 at all.
Thought I would, but this lil bike is so much more fun in the nasty stuff.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #34
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
That's why I'll keep the KLX no matter what - it's just a blast.
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #35
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods
I'm curious..What gearing is everyone running and what is your top speed with that gearing?
15/43 for Baja
14/45 for tight single track

Top speed? Don't know.
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #36
ironbrewer OP
Hopefully Riding

Well this is the ride I took it on.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360534

It ran great. Idled great, just barely ran my Acerbis headlight, and got 44 mpg.

I realized I had to do some serious work on the suspension though.

So today I got to investigating my suspension. Ya gotta remember this is my first realish dirtbike since 1983. And it was screwed. The rear compresion, and reboud dampning were all the way tight, and the left fork was 1 1/2 clicks from full tight, and the right fork was 3 clicks from tight. The sag was off quite a bit too. I think it should work much better now.

Pat Paulsen
Old 07-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #37
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,349
Sounds like you guys had some fun on yer' little ride.I must say that I am very jealous of your location..Hoping to get a ride in this weekend. Just put an FMF Q on yesterday and it's nice to ride the bike without having my ears ring. I also ordered a couple of jets but they won't be in until next monday. She gets to run a bit rich until then.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #38
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Just a few things:

- A quarter-turn throttle works well with the CV (mine's Dynojetted). It really lightens the front end.

- The stock muffler is fine. Just add a good headpipe. Mine's a White Bros E-Series.

- Graphics are hard to find. Look at XGX Graphics.
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #39
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

I have read that running an aftermarket exhaust makes no difference on these bikes but my stocker was loud as hell without the baffle in place and ran like ass with it installed. Yesterday I decided to do a little "seat of the pants" comparrison and was happy with the outcome. First I road the bike with the stock muffler..I took it out on an open road and topped it out as well as cruised it at 65-70 for a couple of miles. My top speed was 80-82 and at "cruising" speed the little bike would struggle to maintain speed. I went home and put in a bigger jet thinking that it was possibly a lean burn problem but had the same results when I took it back out only now it was a bit more sluggish (rich w/ a bit of soot). I then went home and put on the new Q and (replaced the jet again). It was instantly apparent that the bike was lean so I did the swap to the other jet that I have(this one runs a bit rich..still waiting on the proper jets to come in). On the open road the bike cruised at 65-70 as though it was not even trying and reached a top speed of 85 and still had a bit left in it but I ran out of road. I am still running a stock header but it is port matched at the inlet flange. I can't feel any difference in power through the rev range( not sure it would show on a dyno) but up top it is a much happier bike with a much happier rider whos ears don't ring like he just left a concert when the ride is over.... Has anyone done any tests such as this one? I would love to hear some other input on this subject....

Old 07-10-2008, 11:03 AM   #40
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods
I have read that running an aftermarket exhaust makes no difference on these bikes but my stocker was loud as hell without the baffle in place and ran like ass with it installed. Yesterday I decided to do a little "seat of the pants" comparrison and was happy with the outcome. First I road the bike with the stock muffler..I took it out on an open road and topped it out as well as cruised it at 65-70 for a couple of miles. My top speed was 80-82 and at "cruising" speed the little bike would struggle to maintain speed. I went home and put in a bigger jet thinking that it was possibly a lean burn problem but had the same results when I took it back out only now it was a bit more sluggish (rich w/ a bit of soot). I then went home and put on the new Q and (replaced the jet again). It was instantly apparent that the bike was lean so I did the swap to the other jet that I have(this one runs a bit rich..still waiting on the proper jets to come in). On the open road the bike cruised at 65-70 as though it was not even trying and reached a top speed of 85 and still had a bit left in it but I ran out of road. I am still running a stock header but it is port matched at the inlet flange. I can't feel any difference in power through the rev range( not sure it would show on a dyno) but up top it is a much happier bike with a much happier rider whos ears don't ring like he just left a concert when the ride is over.... Has anyone done any tests such as this one? I would love to hear some other input on this subject....
I tried an after market pipe years ago, FMF , and it was loud , I did hill climb test as running flat out is not where I ride, I ride tight technical stuff so the bike has to preform in the hard stuff, The hill I used was a steep hill where traction was very good and had a nice "S" turn in the middle so a all out blast was not the key to make it,,
Stock pipe with baffle was quiet but had nothing on top, lowend was okay, I could make it but had to go to first gear before the turn and had to trials it over the top,
Stock pipe without the baffle was very loud and I could hit the turn in second but would slow down to first and it would pull the climb with ease, mind you that it is steep and it would want to wheelie with too much power so you have to clutch and chug to make it.
I then put on the FMF pipe and it was very loud even with the quiet core, it would hit the hill hard and hit the turn in second also but as soon as I had to shut it down to make the turn the bottom end power I had from the stocker was gone, I had to clutch the shit out of it to make it over the top,
That proved to me that HP gains on top don't mean crap on the trail, hell the stocker with the pencil sized plug in had more usable power on the bottom.
I then modified a turndown insert with a welded in washer, and while it is not as quiet as the stock insert, it is very pleasant and it would still hit the turn in second and pull up the technical part very nicely, so that is what I run

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 07-10-2008 at 11:13 AM
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #41
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Good wite up RWAMF... Good to see someone puting effort into testing a product before saying " this is the shit!". I have been running the stocker for years with good results. I had made a nice little turn down as well but the muffler was starting to show its age. That coupled with a recent welder misshap (ran out of gas and burned a nice hole in the end cap) sealed the deal for new pipe.I truely hate to spend $$ on something that does nothing and I have riden 300s in the past that had different exhausts and was never impressed for the cash the people had to shell out. Before I even read your post today, I decided to head out to some very tight 1st gear single track for some chug tests..I must say that I am not disappointed in the new series of Q. It pulled down low fairly well but what got me was the response if I overloaded it.I thought that it would die for sure a couple of times but it just pulled through as soon as I blipped the right grip just a bit. I don't think that I will do the aftermarket header having riden a bike that was big gun equipped. For now the bike is running well enough as far as power output( I only way 165lbs) so I want to work on getting the ergos and suspension dialed next...

Old 07-11-2008, 04:34 AM   #42
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,370
It's Friday night and I'm bored, so I thought I might post the history of my KLX in pictures

This was phase one, I had her about 2 years before I started, she was standard before that except for the tank...

And so onto phase 2.

Phase 2 started about 6 months after phase one... But was never finished...

This is how phase 2 ended, she was burning over a litre of oil every 1000 K's and to make matters worse she started doing on the first day of a 9 day ride.

And this is the damage done.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1183353407
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1183353742

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1183353952

It looked like she had snapped a ring and it worked its way into the combustion chamber.

I fixed it... Or so I thought.

The next ride she chewed her piston again and so she sat like this for almost a year.

Until a few weeks ago when I was preparing to put a deposit on a WR250r and I stumbled upon a 97 300 that cost the same amount as the deposit I had saved......

And so phase 3 begins...

As you can see it will be used for adventuring, so thats where most of the mods will be directed at.

I have an old DR650 that I was using for my trips but the little KLX is way more fun.

tHEtREV screwed with this post 07-11-2008 at 04:40 AM
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:26 AM   #43
ironbrewer OP
Hopefully Riding

Are you gonna put the fairing with the gigantic light set up back on?? It looks great. I assume you would need to upgrade your stator to do that.

Looks like you ride in some mighty remote areas.

Excellent.

Pat Paulsen
Old 07-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #44
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,370
I was toying with a new design but I had to cut the mounting bracket of to fit the standard headlight back on.

And I had to fit the standard one back on because I cracked the frame on my DR and had to rush it to get it back on the road because its my only form of transport.

here is a few pics of the mount for the new fairing I was making...

And while I think of it, when I took the 97 300 for a ride after I got it I thought it felt a bit weird.

I first thought it was just because I had gotten used to the DR but then I found the damage the PO had done.

I had wondered how somebody could do so much damage and not destroy other stuff until I realised the engine case was from an earlier bike and clearly older than the rest of the engine and the linkage arms for the suspension weren't origanal...

Must have taken a huge hit.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #45
ironbrewer OP
Hopefully Riding

I know most people aren't really concerned with gas milage, but I want to get the best I can so I get the longest range possible.

I was getting about 65 mpg, but my bike ran poorly at best stock.

So I installed a Dynojet kit and the gas mileage dropped to a wopping 30 miles per gallon and still ran horribly.

The needle wasn't seated properly. I had to sand it down so it would seat well. Great now the bike is running well and I'm getting about 55 mpg.

Its still a bit rich, so I go from the 4th clip on the needle to the 2nd clip. Its leaned up a bit, but still runs great. Can't wait to check the mpg now.

I'm hoping to at least get it up to 60 mpg so I'll have a 150 mile range.

Pat Paulsen