Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 07:55 PM   #76
St. Hawk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Does anyone know a source for KLX250 rad shrouds? The dealer wants nearly a $100 for ONE!

2002 KLX300
1976 Moto Guzzi Le Mans
1968 BSA Firebird scrambled....
St. Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #77
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Hawk
Does anyone know a source for KLX250 rad shrouds? The dealer wants nearly a $100 for ONE!
Do a search online for Kawasaki Parts, and there are dealers offering discounts, should be able to get them for less than $80.00 ea, still too much but better than 100

rwamf homepage
rwamf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #78
St. Hawk
Adventurer

adding a battery....

I could use a little help here. The KLX has become my favorite bike to ride but I'm a little antsy riding on the street at night. The head light is pretty worthless mostly reflecting light off the fender. Not that I mind illuminating the fender, but I'd like to see the critters in the road BEFORE i get right on top of them!
Currently (sorry for the pun) I'm running the stock AC setup with a Battery in the airbox that powers the turn signals, brake light and horn. What I want to do is turn this into a DC charging system so everything will run off the battery.
Question is what kind of rectifier do I need to wire this up? I'm not too concered with a regulator as I'm prety sure the stator isn't going to
overcharge the battery.
I got the KLX250 manual the 300 suppement is on its way and I should have it by Friday. Anyone here have any experience with this? Anyone in the San Jose area that has done this and would be willing to let me look at their set up?
Thanks!

2002 KLX300
1976 Moto Guzzi Le Mans
Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #79
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
I could use a little help here. The KLX has become my favorite bike to ride but I'm a little antsy riding on the street at night. The head light is pretty worthless mostly reflecting light off the fender. Not that I mind illuminating the fender, but I'd like to see the critters in the road BEFORE i get right on top of them!
Currently (sorry for the pun) I'm running the stock AC setup with a Battery in the airbox that powers the turn signals, brake light and horn. What I want to do is turn this into a DC charging system so everything will run off the battery.
Question is what kind of rectifier do I need to wire this up? I'm not too concered with a regulator as I'm prety sure the stator isn't going to
overcharge the battery.
I got the KLX250 manual the 300 suppement is on its way and I should have it by Friday. Anyone here have any experience with this? Anyone in the San Jose area that has done this and would be willing to let me look at their set up?
Thanks!
The Best option is to have your Stator rewound, There are a few companies that do it, Baja Designs is one that comes to mind, So instead of the stock 75-90 watts they will re-wind it to about 150watts , so you can charge your battery , run a larger headlight, heated grips, power a gps etc.

rwamf homepage
Old 09-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #80
St. Hawk
Adventurer

Thanks, I'm calling them today. I'm not so sure the stock stator puts out 80 watts even.
How do you find all the fire roads you chased from your place to Montana? That looks like a HOOT!

2002 KLX300
1976 Moto Guzzi Le Mans
Old 09-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #81
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Thanks, I'm calling them today. I'm not so sure the stock stator puts out 80 watts even.
How do you find all the fire roads you chased from your place to Montana? That looks like a HOOT!
I planned that ride using Delorme Topo, Worked out great.

rwamf homepage
Old 09-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #82
ironbrewer OP
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
I've been riding lots of fun stuff since I got mine.

I haven't gotten pictures of thereally crazy stuff though.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:15 PM   #83
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
The Best option is to have your Stator rewound,
Agreed, I got mine from Electrix and it's 180 watts. It's been going strong for 7 yr's now. My problem is battery's, The ones that Baja Designs sells only last about 6 mo's. I have just been riding without the battery for the last couple of years.

For the headlight, I have an Acerbis fairing with a 90/130 Piaa H4 bulb in it. Word of caution though, the bubl on high will nelt the BD switch's. I go a switch of something like an 78 SR500 from a junk yard and it's been holding up really well.
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #84
St. Hawk
Adventurer

I'm pulling the stator now. Off to BD for a rewind to 150. I bought their RR too. SO I'm into it for another $170 including shipping. I'm going to put the Acerbis Cyclops on it I think. Its DOT legal and the last thing I need is the folks at the Ca DMV balking over the lack of a DOT head light.
AGM batteries like to be kept at full charge +13v all the time so if your bike only gets ridden every now and again you might try keeping it on a battery tender. I have a Motocell MT4-BS that currently resides in the airbox, though I think I can get it to fit behind the sirbox instead.

2002 KLX300
1976 Moto Guzzi Le Mans
Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #85
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Picked up a KLX a couple weeks ago. Awesome little bike.
Do they tend to come lean or rich in stock form? I want to make it a little more peppy, but don't want to hurt the mpg, and want my wife to still be able to ride it.
Yokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #86
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Here's a pic of the old beauty.

It has the stock gearing 14/50, which is too low for riding on the streets. Heck I can start out in 3rd and cruise along at 30 in 6th - that's too dang low! Will a 15 fit? Thanks!
Yokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #87
kgwld1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I run a 15 on my 250s with 40 rear no problems.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #88
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo
Do they tend to come lean or rich in stock form?
Lean, the best thing you can do is get the Dynojet kit.

Quote:
Will a 15 fit?
Yes, I run 15/45 for the street.
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #89
trailuser
take the backroads

Oddometer: 1,382
Electric Horn

Anyone try wiring an electric horn up in order to get it inspected for a street title (bicycle horn won't due).

Thanks,

Joe
trailuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #90
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner
Anyone try wiring an electric horn up in order to get it inspected for a street title (bicycle horn won't due).

Thanks,

Joe
I had a horn that came with my Montessa, it worked but horns don't like AC, sounded like crap

rwamf homepage