Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #91
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
I removed the airbox top and it seems to be running better. The original owner removed the buttplug. At this time I'm only wanting to do a few dirt cheap mods to get a little more pep out of it. Ordering my 15t for better commuting.

My bike has a horn with the Baja kit.
Yokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #92
ROCKYmountainRIDER
Chris

Oddometer: 52
Hello all. wow finally a forum for the little guy. I never though it would happen. here is mine i got it from my dad, he moved onto a DRZ and then to the new when he bougth it KLX250S.

So far the mods have come to:
-Trail Tech Vapor
-MSR Dominator bars (KX high bars)
-1" bar risers
-New Grips cant recall the name at the moment
-New stock gas tank OEM one cracked near the petcock
-New Valves
-Exhaust cam
-Hinson Clutch basket (long story related to that one)
-Utah Sport Cycle Skid plata
-Uni Filter
-Dyno jet kit (stock needle installed hated the one that came with it)
-Rear race tech spring
-Moose Racing Trail bag
-Motion Pro 1/4 turn throttle assembly (best mod so far easier to pop them wheelieeeees
-I think that just about sums up the story i may have missed some small minor details.

2003 CRF230F
2001 KLX300R Riding right now BEST BIKE EVER.
2009 KLR650 Totally wiked
ROCKYmountainRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #93
ironbrewer OP
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo
I removed the airbox top and it seems to be running better. The original owner removed the buttplug. At this time I'm only wanting to do a few dirt cheap mods to get a little more pep out of it. Ordering my 15t for better commuting.

My bike has a horn with the Baja kit.
Dynojet kit is cheap and does a lot for performance.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #94
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Thought I'd add some pics to this great thread. I had just bough tth bike and this was my first ride. I got stuck so deep in the mud I couldn't ride it out all I could do was carry it out. It sucked. My poor KLX doesn't look this new anymore...I miss that new bike smell!

Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:16 PM   #95
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,348
Keeping the thread alive

Went out today and tested the "SPOT"( Spot messenger) in heavy foliage , Gives the wife a peace of mind to see where I am at, Seemed to work ok
Snow was at 7000' and was a blast, hard to see a few of the single tracks
The 300 worked great, gotta say "I SURE LOVE THE MAGIC BUTTON!"
Heated grips worked great too. did 80 miles and got 40mpg.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 PM   #96
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
The perfect bike?

Ok, ok, the headline is a bit of a tease - I know there is no such thing as the perfect bike. But I am hoping I can get some opinions/feedback on the KLX versus the TTR-250 versus the DRZ400.

I come from a street bike background. My first dual sport was a KLR 650 - it was fun, and I liked it for travelling distance on dirt, but it was too heavy for a learner bike for me - I couldn't build confidence with it off road. I got rid of the KLR and bought a TTR-250 as a dirt learner bike . I loved the light weight and nimbleness of the 250, but while it was great for trails near the house I didn't really like riding it much over 30 miles on the road. I just sold the TTR-250 to find something with longer legs. I am not planning any multi-week adventure trips in the near future (young kids), but I want something that will be comfortable if I have to/want to ride 100 miles to get to the fireroads/trails when I feel like travelling a bit.

I had been looking for a DRZ400 or one of the lighter 650s, but there is a KLX300 for sale in the Flea Market fairly close with some good mods (Linky). Might this fit my bill???? Or would it be the TTR all over again?

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #97
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDScarecrow
Ok, ok, the headline is a bit of a tease - I know there is no such thing as the perfect bike.

I had been looking for a DRZ400 or one of the lighter 650s, but there is a KLX300 for sale in the Flea Market fairly close with some good mods (Linky). Might this fit my bill???? Or would it be the TTR all over again?
The KLX is a good bike and the one for sale has allot of Extras, might be a good deal, For me I have always loved my 98 KLX300 and rode the piss out of it, I just always wished it had the magic button, So While I was waiting on the new Husky TE310, I had to finally put a cam chain in my ol' 300 but stopped and bought a left over KLX250s and put all my cool stuff on it, 300 barrel, Ohlins shock, Hyd clutch etc and now I am very happy again. I have a very trick 300 that has the magic button not to mention a bunch of spare parts.
I run a 13/47 and @ 7000 rpm = 53mph so I don't do highway stints very far.
I also have extra wheels with DS tires and run 13/42 which is better on the highway but more diff on the tight single track.
300cc four stroke is a great size, they have that extra grunt lacking in a 250 to pull my fat ass up that steep technical trail.
So to answer your question ? I don't know, You are the only one who can answer the question, Personally I like my 300 much better than my brothers 400DRZ , it fits my riding style,
JMO

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #98
artman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
What Bike?

I've had a KLR650 best on road for a dualsport too heavy off road, Had a DRZ400 not as good on the road and still to heavy offroad, Had a DR350 ok on the road and ok off road. Now i just got a 1999 KLX300r with a Baja kit, Ca. legal. Its real good off road, I need to play around with gearing to be equal to my past DR350. A light bike is great, but you loose out at hwy speeds. To soon to tell if this is the right bike for me? Artman!
artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #99
ISDTBower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Seen the Green Machine

Robert, I knew you would be here somewhere. Great running into you on the snowy trails this last weekend. Glad someone got to see me get taken out by a tree. I also had my SPOT on for two days and completed all tracking messages from the top of my backpack. My wife was watching from a lawn chair in Maui. The only thing she couldn't see was the freeking COLD! We headed to Walker and up the east canyon till snow depth turned us back.

NICE BIKE! Smaller for those tight trails. Wouldn't the Husky have a longer wheelbase and loose the fun of what you have now? Come to think of it, I think both of us make our bikes look small!
ISDTBower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #100
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,938
Great thread - im currently researching for my next bike and seems like this niche bike may be working its way to the top of the heap - other considerations are the DRZ400S, XR400, WR450, and KLX450.
The questions I have is how hard is it to put the KLX300 on the street to use as a daily commuter, then hit the singletrack on the weekends? It seems it lacks all of the electrical amenities, which requires some bucks and some work to get streeted, and I hear alot about suspension and carb upgrades, which again, is more $ and time and work. But the good points seem to be its light weight, short seat height, and 6 speeds.
Why have you owners not opted for a KLX450 since both have to be converted to be street legal? If 450 is too much power, why not go with the street-legal KLX250? Im just trying to get my head around this bike, as its definetly an interesting bike with a good reputation, just a few things that seem quirky to me. Whats the difference in the KLX300 and KLX400(green DRZ400)?
Thanks!
Old 10-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #101
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTjerry
... Whats the difference in the KLX300 and KLX400(green DRZ400)?
The diffrence is literally everything. The 300 is a Kawasaki, the 400 is a Suzuki. The only common thing is the color of the plastic.

The KLX400 is a DRZ, as you know, so it is larger, more powerful, a lot heavier, e-start. The KLX300 is a very lightweight bike, really easy to ride, but geared lower, and kick only. Engine life is debatable. Lots of people in thumpertalk.com talk about top end jobs on the KLX300 at 10k miles, while the DRZ can go 30k to 40k.

A friend let me ride his KLX300 on some easy dirt roads, and I was impressed about how low the seat was, how light it was, how forgiving it was, and how there was a decent amount of low end torque (but not much top end power). It was easier to ride than my KTM 200EXC, or even my own green KLX400SR, and I was more comfortable riding it than my KTM. But the brakes were not as good, and I'm not sure how good the suspension really is when pushed hard. After riding the 300, I thought I made a mistake getting the KTM instead of the green bike.

As far as dualsporting, not many take their KLX300 on long trips - my friend doesn't even ride 20 miles of pavement on his. OTOH, I rode my KLX400SR 2700 miles from Colorado to Canada and back - all dirt on the way up, and 3 days of pavement back. Except for a few problems with cables, the bike had no engine issues at all, it still runs strong and the valves have not moved one thousandth in the last 4000 miles. They are very different machines. My $0.02.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #102
Hatch
PAR OG

Right on murgatroid, exactly the info Im seeking.
I am not looking necessarily for nimble and lightweight, as my current XT225 is exactly that, but lacking completely in the power dept.
E-start is a requirement, as is plenty of power, but ease of maintenance is what really keeps me going back to the DRZ - I cant afford bi-weekly oil changes and oil filters and air filters that the high performance bikes seem to need.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #103
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTjerry
Right on murgatroid, exactly the info Im seeking.
I am not looking necessarily for nimble and lightweight, as my current XT225 is exactly that, but lacking completely in the power dept.
E-start is a requirement, as is plenty of power, but ease of maintenance is what really keeps me going back to the DRZ - I cant afford bi-weekly oil changes and oil filters and air filters that the high performance bikes seem to need.
The (dare I say it) WR250R may suite your needs. I do want to add that I have about 15 thousand miles on my 300 with 0 issues but I don't scream the bike at high RPM constantly even when racing. The bike has just been crazy reliable and has decent power with the current mods (all free mods , FMF Q4,Twin air filter,port matched stock header and a 132 main jet).I only way in at 170lbs so power is good for me. Mine is street legal and I ride it to work almost every day. It starts on 1st or 2nd kick so I never miss the E button. Suspension could be tighter in the fork for aggressive riding but even at that,this bike did 2 B class hair scramble events with the stock suspension and did fine.As to oil changes..They do suck being every 600 miles but I bought a stainless reusable filter and it saves $$ at every oil change. Your real problem is going to be the fact that you live in FL and unless you find a 300 that already has a plate,you will be hard pressed to register it.

Scramster
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #104
Hatch
PAR OG

wishin - I have definetly been checkin into the WRR's comments, and all I hear about is it's lack of power compared to its predecessors. Its a big jump for me to go from air cooled to water cooled, let alone carb to FI!
Not to mention its a bit outta my price bracket. More andmore I see myself gravitating towards the DRZ. Easy, simple, reliable, and definetly more grunt than my XT225!
I think if the right deal came along on a KLX, I couldnt pass it up, but otherwise, the DRZ seems more inline with the amount of slab im unfortunately forced to traverse.
btw, great sig line - exactly my feelings.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #105
Hatch
PAR OG

Aha, thanks for the tip ogre, I definetly dont wanna have to deal with all that mess. If I did that I might as well go the WRF or KLX450 route!