Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
gacksnabbit OP
Commander

Oddometer: 188
Hello KTM 690 Enduro, Goodbye 530 EXC

Title says it all boys...

Hoping to ride it tomorrow Gotta switch the tires first.

more to come.

gacksnabbit screwed with this post 07-30-2008 at 08:23 PM
gacksnabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Congrats

Why the switch? (what did you like about the 690 more than the 530 that made you jump bikes?)
Old 06-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
lancethemotoman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Congrats

Why the switch? (what did you like about the 690 more than the 530 that made you jump bikes?)
Yeah. What he said. Inquiring minds want to know. I was actually looking at trading my new 690 for a 530!!!
lancethemotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,389
Why not keep both? I'm not getting rid of my 450 that's for sure.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
My dad is about to do something similar. He has a 690 sm and a 530 exc but he will be losing the 690 sm and just getting sm wheels for the enduro. Sweet lil ride though.
Brent4ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,870
Congrats ! The 690 Adventure/Rally is my next ride.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Nice ride. I'd keep both if I could for sure.
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,234
Looks like the 690's frame doesn't encase the motor. Is the bash plate mounted driectly to the motor?
Old 06-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #9
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,313
Ladder frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
Looks like the 690's frame doesn't encase the motor. Is the bash plate mounted driectly to the motor?
I haven't seen one naked, but I've heard, and from what little you can see, it's a ladder style frame sort of like you see on some of those exotic sport bikes like Ducati and such. The bash plate will probably have to be some kind of wrap-around tubes or just bolted directly to the motor. The current issue of Dirt Rider mag has a good writeup on one.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC
I haven't seen one naked, but I've heard, and from what little you can see, it's a ladder style frame sort of like you see on some of those exotic sport bikes like Ducati and such. The bash plate will probably have to be some kind of wrap-around tubes or just bolted directly to the motor. The current issue of Dirt Rider mag has a good writeup on one.
The bash plate mounts to the frame. There is an extension that drops down slightly and the skid plate surrounds most of the engine.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
Castleman

Oddometer: n/a
I am watching this thread closely. I am looking to upgrade my 99 LC4e and haven't decided which one to replace it with. I think the 690 is better suited for those occasional 300 slab mile "Boys only" weekends to Glamis or Ocotillo Wells. Sure would be nice to get rid of 50-60 lbs from my dirt bike, but it has to be reliable over the long haul and it has to be able to do slab duty.

OK, so why the switch?
Old 06-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
Motobrandt
Grrrrrrrrr

Oddometer: 628
The picture and the Flea Market ad say all you need to know.

KTM 530 EXC with Scorpions and plastic handguards. In the ad it ways "never off road".

Seems like the perfect switch too me. Congrats! The 690 looks super fun with a bit more streetability and longer maintenance intervals.

I'm jealous.
Motobrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #13
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Congrats

Ride a 690 and you'll understand I went riding today with Seth S on his 690, Chris on his 530 and me on the X Challenge. On the muddy rocky trails, they smoked me, but on the fire roads, I could easily pull by the 530, but not the 690 Seth left me like I ran out of gas.

Its the best of both worlds I think
Old 06-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
gacksnabbit OP
Commander

Well I got in 2 (yes two) good miles today! Changed out the OEM tires for the Scorpian A/T's that were on the 530 and she turns a lot better now on the road. Tire PSI 22/24 for now but I may go lower. Adjusted all of the controls and I am eyeing up a way to relocate the rear turn signals. I pulled the passenger pegs off and installed the smart looking black plastic heel guards that came with the bike but the bolts are now too long and the top one bottoms out on the swing arm. They also seemed a bit short and week as well allowing the heels of my size 13 feet to contact the swing arm when my feet are on the pegs. I am thinking about having the ends of the peg brackets lopped off and rounded as they are much longer and really keep one's feet off the swingarm. I think it could be done to look almost OEM. Filling this thing with gas looks like it is going to be a lot of fun! Let's see home much gas I get on the seat and hot muffler.

I added some rebound damping to speed up the front end a bit. Return seemed slow and the clickers were at 18 left and 22 right. Now I am 8 clicks out from full in(+) on each side and I threw a bit more preload into the shock for my fat ass. All other suspension setting are as delivered until I get some seat time. It is very "chuggy" compared to the 530 and you feel every pound of the 50 extra this weighs when you move it. Motor right now at 4 miles is no where near as snappy as the 530 nor will it ever be but I think after 1000 miles or so it will loosen up and rev a bit faster.

As for all the speculation as to why the change, it is as simple as the 690 is just a better street bike than the 530. The 530 is an insane bike but the 690 has among other things, a smoother motor with longer oil change intervals, cush drive rear hub, full power alternator, H4 headlight, a full street bike dash, better street bike switch gear, the ability to mount hard side bags, ect... all of which add up to a better bike for what I do. I have done a couple of 350 mile days on the 530 (OW!!) exploring into eastern PA and it was just perfect on the back roads feeling light and agile but getting out there was a chore. This will be easier for me on the 690. Simple as that. Does it weigh more, have less ground clearance, and feel fat on the trail compared to the 530? Yes, but for what I do this is the right tool for the job. But the 530 really rips and it is a shame I cannot keep them both.

gacksnabbit screwed with this post 06-30-2008 at 06:16 AM
Old 06-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
gacksnabbit OP
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacksnabbit
Does it weigh more, have less ground clearance, and feel fat on the trail compared to the 530? Yes, but for what I do this is the right tool for the job.

Having said that I must also say that my initial impression is that this bitch, when compared bike to bike and of course leaving out the rider's abilities, will walk all over any of the dual-sport 650's from Japan on the trail. But then again it better for the kind of money KTM is getting for 'em!

gacksnabbit screwed with this post 06-30-2008 at 06:13 AM