User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
GrauTier OP
Unmitigated nOOb

Oddometer: 180
Suzuki V-Strom Rack Extensions

FLANKER posed a question last week up in Beasts that has provided the motivation I need to move to the next level on one of my personal projects.

I ride a V-Strom and really enjoy getting away on the bike for my R&R. I equipped it with Jesse bags and think they are great. Durable, waterproof and easily removable they fit my needs very well. I have a trunk to match the bags but haven't mounted it yet. One day I'll do that.

In the mean time I travel with a Cortech tail bag strapped to the tail rack. It doesn't offer the security of a locking trunk, but it does offer an easy "carry one bag into the hotel" in the evening option that I like very much. Most of the tools and clothing are carried in the saddle bags, with a 2 gallon freezer bag's worth of clothes changing places into the tail bag every other day or so. Most of the time this works well, but last year I felt I could use a bit more room because sometimes I also carry a sleeping bag, pad and chair. I did some research and found no one was making exactly what I wanted.

So, I designed my own. It is sized to work with my Jesse bags and it doesn't interfere with them opening or closing. It works very well with my Cortech tail bag and should work just as well with the Moto Fizz bag I plan on upgrading to. Basic dimensions are 18.7" wide and 12.8" long. It is made of 1/8" 5052 Aluminum with textured black powder coating that matches the Jesse Bags. Stainless hardware is included and it will work on either V-Strom.

I like to keep things simple, so cost to members anywhere in the USA is $95.00 delivered.

Name:  1711small.JPG
Views: 5996
Size:  136.6 KB

GrauTier screwed with this post 06-29-2008 at 03:36 PM
GrauTier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
GrauTier OP
Unmitigated nOOb

Another view

Another view.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
could you give some detail on the 4 bolt mounting?
i assume one removes the rubber pad and then those holes are utilized. i'd guess you have bolts on the backside.
big question, can it be mounted without removing the factory rack? i have caribou cases/racks and i'd love to not have to unbolt those and the factory rack to mount.

i'll then mount my dan vesel passenger rest on:
http://community-2.webtv.net/CHERDAN...omAccessories/

i use stainless steel button nose bolts so the surface is mostly flush compared to dan's knob-style bolts & is thus ready for my bag.

i then use a medium u-pack:
http://www.josupac.com/main1.html

between this pack and the caribou side cases we can hold a ton of gear.
it basicly creates this comfy pocket for my wife:

as you can in see in the above picture, i utilize two main rear straps. this has always been a problem lashing down to the factory rack. the factory rack (what's left behind dan's backrest) has always been small. your rack is truely the missing piece of the puzzle for me!!!!
it reminds me of best rests rack.
nicely done!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 06-29-2008 at 11:31 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
FLANKER
Be Prepared.

Oddometer: 102
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrauTier
FLANKER posed a question last week up in Beasts that has provided the motivation I need to move to the next level on one of my personal projects.

I ride a V-Strom and really enjoy getting away on the bike for my R&R. I equipped it with Jesse bags and think they are great. Durable, waterproof and easily removable they fit my needs very well. I have a trunk to match the bags but haven't mounted it yet. One day I'll do that.

In the mean time I travel with a Cortech tail bag strapped to the tail rack. It doesn't offer the security of a locking trunk, but it does offer an easy "carry one bag into the hotel" in the evening option that I like very much. Most of the tools and clothing are carried in the saddle bags, with a 2 gallon freezer bag's worth of clothes changing places into the tail bag every other day or so. Most of the time this works well, but last year I felt I could use a bit more room because sometimes I also carry a sleeping bag, pad and chair. I did some research and found no one was making exactly what I wanted.

So, I designed my own. It is sized to work with my Jesse bags and it doesn't interfere with them opening or closing. It works very well with my Cortech tail bag and should work just as well with the Moto Fizz bag I plan on upgrading to. Basic dimensions are 18.7" wide and 12.8" long. It is made of 1/8" 5052 Aluminum with textured black powder coating that matches the Jesse Bags. Stainless hardware is included and it will work on either V-Strom.

I like to keep things simple, so cost to members anywhere in the USA is $95.00 delivered.
That's exactly what i need for my moto-fizz bag! I'm glad you've decided to go public with it!
$95 is fair enough. How do we order from you?....will there be contact info. available?
FLANKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
GrauTier OP
Unmitigated nOOb

Looks like it will work with your backrest.

Eakins,

You're correct. If you remove the rubber pad you'll see it attaches using five rubber knobs. The rack I designed uses the location of the four corner knobs but is attached using four M8 countersunk bolts. Other hardware includes rubber spacers (above the rack) to keep the rack extension slightly above the factory rack and flat washers and nylon locking nuts below the factory rack. The bolts are countersunk to keep them below the surface of the rack extension.

I don't understand exactly how your saddle bags mount beneath your factory rack but judging by the way your Vesel backrest is mounted, merely undoing the two rack bolts beneath the seat will allow you to lift the factory rack and attach the rack extension. Without removing the factory rack I'm concerned there will not be room to attach the washers and nuts (beneath it).

As long as the button head stainless bolts you're using to attach your Vesel backrest are long enough to accomodate another 3/16" to 1/4" of material beneath them all should be fine.

GrauTier screwed with this post 07-19-2008 at 05:36 PM
Old 06-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
GrauTier OP
Unmitigated nOOb

More Detail

Here is another shot that may show the countersunk bolts a bit better.

Name:  1714small.JPG
Views: 5499
Size:  139.9 KB

As far as payment, Paypal works best but other options are available. Please PM me for details.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
caribou cases have the same style cross bar as yours. it goes underneath the factory (with 2 holes for through bolts), then utilizes washer on top & bottom of those holes so it's isolated, then the factory rack sits on top of that and then the 2 exposed bolts go all the way to the bike subframe. the passenger rack also utilizes those same 2 bolts. i guess removing the factory plate isn't that bof of a deal as i understand the need to get to the backside for your plate bolts. my bolts are long enough.

does that center radioactive looking cutout serve any purpose or just some styleee?

how are you handling orders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrauTier
FLANKER,

You're correct. If you remove the rubber pad you'll see it attaches using five rubber knobs. The rack I designed uses the location of the four corner knobs but is attached using four M8 countersunk bolts. Other hardware includes rubber spacers (above the rack) to keep the rack extension slightly above the factory rack and flat washers and nylon locking nuts below the factory rack. The bolts are countersunk to keep them below the surface of the rack extension.

I don't understand exactly how your saddle bags mount beneath your factory rack but judging by the way your Vesel backrest is mounted, merely undoing the two rack bolts beneath the seat will allow you to lift the factory rack and attach the rack extension. Without removing the factory rack I'm concerned there will not be room to attach the washers and nuts (beneath it).

As long as the button head stainless bolts you're using to attach your Vesel backrest are long enough to accomodate another 3/16" to 1/4" of material beneath them all should be fine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
GrauTier OP
Unmitigated nOOb

Handling Orders

Yeah, I just wanted to add a little style. Something to make it unique. I've kicked around the idea of making a different symbol for each batch. Probably animals or something like that... I thought it would feel good to come across one of them 10 or 20 years from now and say "Hey, I made that!"

I think the easiest way to handle the orders is for you to PM me if interested. Then we can discuss payment and address details, etc. in private.

Paypal is probably the easiest method of payment, although I can make other arrangements if needed.

GrauTier screwed with this post 07-01-2008 at 07:36 PM
Old 07-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
GrauTier OP
Unmitigated nOOb

Another shot - loaded

I came across this shot from a recent trip. You can see the rack extension works very well with my tail bag and cargo net. I use the net with the rain cover as a failsafe to keep the rain cover from blowing off (as one did last year).

Name:  1642small.JPG
Views: 6218
Size:  143.7 KB
Old 07-12-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
FLANKER
Be Prepared.

Talking

I placed my order today for the rack. Fast PM reply from GrauTier. Good info. too. Anxious to bolt it on and cure my "saggy bags".
Old 07-18-2008, 04:52 AM   #11
patrickreyn
n00b

Oddometer: 3
address to buy paypal etc how to buy

how do you buy this beast. please give me all of the ways I can pay you for shippment to oklahoma
patrickreyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:03 AM   #12
FLANKER
Be Prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickreyn
how do you buy this beast. please give me all of the ways I can pay you for shippment to oklahoma
Private Message (that doo-dad in the upper right of the screen by your login name) Grau Tier got back to me fast with all the shipping info. and payment options i needed........i think the $95 included shipping in the lower 48......better check just to make sure.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:58 AM   #13
giddyupgirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
PM Sent
giddyupgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:24 AM   #14
GrauTier OP
Unmitigated nOOb

Thumb PM Sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickreyn
Check your PM's
Old 07-24-2008, 05:22 AM   #15
GrauTier OP
Unmitigated nOOb

Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid Ohio

Thanks everyone for your support. I'll be spending the next few days at Mid-Ohio race track enjoying Vintage Motorcycle Days.

I'll be riding my Strom and will be parked with the Classic Wing Club in the infield. We're just down the gravel road from the AMA tent. Stop in and visit.

Likewise, if you happen to PM me in the next few days and do not get a quick reply, don't worry. I'll catch up on Sunday after my return.

Have a great weekend!