Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2004, 04:07 PM   #31
mcoyote
Occam's Razorblade

Oddometer: 615
(1st) Google
(2nd) Search here

There are number of sturdy mini video camera solutions ("bullet" or "lipstick" cams) that are weatherproof and even capture good images. Problem is, all of the video versions require a MiniDV or the like nearby on the bike to plug into, and that increases the wiring and protection requirements quite a bit.

There are also rigs for skydiving that affix a digicam of different descriptions to helmets, but that doesn't protect the camera or deal with the aerodynamic issues well (you can only fall out of a plane for so long each time).

I want an equivalent still camera rig that's self contained and remotely triggerable so I can just look and snap without breaking my concentration too much. There is also the "CamWear" by DejaView, a unit that's always on and when you press a button dumps the last 30 seconds of video to a flash card:

http://www.mydejaview.com/

...it has its shortcomings as well (low quality images), but it's small, portable, rechargable, and otherwise self-contained.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:58 PM   #32
hilandfrog
jackass

Oddometer: 13,085
I bought a helmet cam after a long ski trip. I went with Rushcam, I think they are out of Canada somewhere. I bought the cheaper of the two they offered aug 04. 380 lines of res vs. 480 I think?? the thing rocks, a slight yet oh so very small fish eying that gives a great screen on a TV, not all that great on the camera viewer. I have a 450$ panasonic from costco, great return policies. I use it for downhill biking and skiing, racing around the dunes with my buddies on quads, some great trips to Mammoth with buddies on dirt bikes and ya a "few" cool paved roads around Yo-C-mighty and through tahoe. I'm sure the picture will only be as good as your camera but IMHO the lens and the housing it comes in are bullet proof the Mic seems to pick up more than I would like sometimes, be careful who you call a "fucking idiot" on the trail they may be in the bar later viewing your footage. the wires seem a bit strange ..RCA to small power connector - (v batt connector to an * AA batt pack. much like remote controlled cars use. it all works its just strange. I would recommend getting the LANC ??? cable it controls the camera by the number of times and in what combo you push the buttons. I suck at spelling so get over it and enjoy whatever set up you end up with. any thing is better than the tripod I had attached to my helmet for skiing.

VR
Repo
Old 12-23-2004, 06:25 PM   #33
NHGS
Granite Scrambler

Oddometer: 552
Two sites to check out:

http://www.viosport.com

http://www.hoyttech.com
Old 12-23-2004, 11:45 PM   #34
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
I placed two helmetcam ride reports here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45701
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52914

The second video above was a better effort. But both are OK ;). The camera came from helmetcam.com and I connect it to a Sony Handycam in a tank bag.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 09:06 PM   #35
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdaddy
I would really appreciate any recommendations from current users on what they are using for helmet cameras. Thanks for the feedback
Have a look at the thread I started here.

More info here.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:24 AM   #36
mackdaddy
Finding my way

Oddometer: 898
Question Motorcycle helmet camera recommendations

Hello everyone,

Well, I have finally decided to purchase a motorcycle helmet camera system to capture my rides on my KLR 650 and my R1150R. Thanks to the archived links on this website, I am thinking of purchasing a kit from www.helmetcamera.com

The reviews that I read posted by "GlobalRider" for their equipment were very positive. I would love to hear from anyone else that has purchased or used products from them. Thanks for any responses.
mackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 08:08 PM   #37
bernbern22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Helemet Camera's

Does anyone know of a good helemet camera?
does anyone use a helemet camera and how do you do it?

thanks
bernbern22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 08:16 PM   #38
RevcoMan
West Texas

Oddometer: 109
I've been researching this subject as well, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with this bad boy...

http://www.viosport.com/store/custom...e=ac3_overview
Old 04-29-2005, 08:19 PM   #39
bernbern22
Adventurer

cams

What kind of camcorder are you using or planning to use?
Old 04-29-2005, 08:33 PM   #40
RevcoMan
West Texas

No camcorder, but rather a video recorder:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...&TabName=specs
Old 04-29-2005, 09:13 PM   #41
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,748
Well if you want a real nice set-up I would go with http://www.helmetcamera.com/ , the system can even work under water. I'm using the Sony HC40 with this set-up.
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:36 PM   #42
RevcoMan
West Texas

Wicked

I also looked at the helmetcamera, and I agree that it is also a nicely built cam.

My main criteria was resolution. The VioSport has 520 lines vs 480 lines produced by the helmetcamera.

Also, the VioSport allows optional lenses to be placed on it (including a wide-angle), along with Neutral Density filters...

Either way, you can't go wrong!

Edit: on further review, helmetcamera does have additional lenses for sale, but no listing for any filters. My Bad!
Old 04-30-2005, 02:57 PM   #43
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

Oddometer: 785
You can get decent helmet cam kits on eBay for $150, with the Sony 480 line ex-view camera. The difference between 480 lines and 520 lines will not be noticeable on a consumer TV. If you are going to project the image or use an upconverter to HD signal, there will be some improvement and the VioSport is the best rez out there. Depends whether $150 vs $300 means much to you. The Sony ex-view 480 does have interchangeable lenses by the way, they are about $30 each, and I think in fact the VioSport is also a Sony cam, just the improved version of the 480 Ex-View although I could be mistaken. I think a search would reveal the same cam cheaper without the VioSport tag on the side...Filters can be adapted to any camera with a little tinkering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevcoMan
I also looked at the helmetcamera, and I agree that it is also a nicely built cam.

My main criteria was resolution. The VioSport has 520 lines vs 480 lines produced by the helmetcamera.

Also, the VioSport allows optional lenses to be placed on it (including a wide-angle), along with Neutral Density filters...

Either way, you can't go wrong!

Edit: on further review, helmetcamera does have additional lenses for sale, but no listing for any filters. My Bad!
deepcdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:00 PM   #44
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
Well if you want a real nice set-up I would go with http://www.helmetcamera.com/ , the system can even work under water. I'm using the Sony HC40 with this set-up.
Same here.

I'm using various camcorders (DV, Digital 8, etc) for acquisition.

No problems at all with the camera. Been using it for production work for a while.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:52 PM   #45
bernbern22
Adventurer

Photog

Question, I just want to record my commute/ drivin around, whats a good camcorder to use with the helmetcamara
thanks