Originally Posted by gts

Pretty silly setup so I only did it once Here's a clip from that ride

http://h1.ripway.com/gts/street/ADV/TailCam.wmv
Fantastic finale!
Old 12-09-2005, 07:48 AM   #62
Milhaus
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 3,010
For those of you interested in doing your own helmet cameras, there is an awesome writeup over on ThumperTalk here:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=251731

Also, if you browse that forum there are some pretty incredible videos that are posted. If you get a chance, search for some videos posted by a user named Yroc. His videos are simply outstanding, not to mention his riding ability is pretty great.

Milhaus screwed with this post 12-09-2005 at 09:05 AM
Milhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:53 PM   #63
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax
I have a old Canon camera and am using a "Helmetcamera.com" lipstick camera. This setup works good when the camera is mounted on the helmet but I get a lot of vibration if I try to mount the camera on a RAM mount. The only problem I have with this setup is the bulk as you have mentioned. I got really stupid the other night and went out and bought a Samsung Sports Camcorder as it is about as compact as it gets. I will report back after I have had a chance to get it mounted up and on a bike.

Cheers.
Marc
OK here is my report back. The Samsung Sports Camcorder definitely does not have the video quality of a helmetcamera.com lipstick camera attached to a DV recorder. It is however to my surprise actually very respectable. I made one recording with the camera itself mounted to a RAM mount on the handle bars of my KTM and the image stabilization actually worked quite well. At idle the picture was quite jumpy but on the move, again it was respectable. With the helmet camera attached it was the usual good and stable picture as expected.

In summation: For a quick and short video I am impressed with the Samsung. It is handy and easy to use. For a longer and higher quality picture I will stick with the bundle of wires, a good lipstick camera and a DV recorder.

Cheers All
Marc

Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #64
gts
Bark Buster

Oddometer: 485
Milhaus, I will check that thumpertalk link. That's a mostly dirt site, no? I'm hoping to see some more video around here as well... lomax?

Just a blizzard here in boston today, so here's a quickie from a hot summer night this year... this weekly event in lowell mass has it's own website: www.motorcyclenight.com I don't want to overload my web space traffic so I won't mention it was the night of hooter's hot chaps contest If you don't see my avatar you won't see any video for 24 hours. Have a good weekend guys -

http://h1.ripway.com/gts/street/20050712BikeNight.wmv
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:29 AM   #65
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
I'm hoping to see some more video around here as well... lomax?

http://h1.ripway.com/gts/street/20050712BikeNight.wmv
With my pitiful home PC and not knowing how or where to host video's you might have to wait to see something from me. I just have dial up and it would probably take hours to upload something. I would not know where to put it anyway. Any advice?

Cheers.
Marc

Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 03:00 PM   #66
mackdaddy
Finding my way

Oddometer: 842
Question Motorcycle helmet camera recommendations please

Hello everyone,

I love to check out the video that fellow riders post of their rides. I would like to video tape my rides as well. Do anyone have any recommendation for helmet camera kits? I already own a Sony mini DV camcorder that is pretty good. Most of my riding is on the road but I would like to have a unit that can hold up well under rain and possibly off-road when I get back into that riding.

I have checked out viosport that offer some pretty comprehensive kits. If anyone could pass on any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
mackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:26 PM   #67
bpeterson
pssst! over here.

Oddometer: 921
I have a viosport Adv III, and love it. Connects up to my Canon ZR50MC camcorder. Get the remote LANC connection (provided your camera can take it) so you don't have to dig around for the rec/pause switch while traveling.

DirtRider magazine just did a big comparison of the cameras - some video details can be found here

best of luck!
'02 DR-Z 400S
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:57 PM   #68
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Many of the helmet camera kits work fine. Helmetcamera.com is typical. Other suggestion is to check out the Samsung SCX105L. Has its plus/neg, but one of its positives is the very small form factor versus the spaghetti network of cables common with bulletcams feeding a camcorder.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:41 AM   #69
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 14,655
I have a couple of video camera helmet setups for freefall video..skydiving...

anyway the helmet is NOT DOT...but they make many platforms to bolt (or better yet gaffer's tape) the camera to your helmet...

you can check out www.square1.com

or here for other suppliers...I personaly like Skysystems...
http://www.skysystemsltd.com/ or look at the jacket
or
http://www.dropzone.com/links/Cool/
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:29 PM   #70
gts
Bark Buster

Thumb

www.ripway.com or www.putfile.com

To hell with bandwidth - out of sheer deprivation I ripped the full bike night video this week. The theme of www.motorcyclenight.com is "all bikes welcome;" you don't have to like harleys or guns & roses to like this clip. In fact, if you don't like gyrating hooters girls you are either female or have no pulse I even threw a few ADV salutes in there.

http://h1.ripway.com/gts/street/BikeNight-WEB.wmv

Cheers + have a great holiday
Old 12-23-2005, 02:29 PM   #71
iridefar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Viosport Helmet Cam

I use a Viosport camera. It really does not matter who makes the camera. What matters is the internals. I maded sure mine had the Sony Ex-View® CCD. I have been very happy with it and very happy with Viosport service. They developed a new cover for the wide angle lens and sent me one for free (it just showed up in the mail one day).

IBA #16681
2005 R1200GS
2005 F650GS
2005 GL1800 Gold Wing
1998 ST1100
2002 KLX300R
www.iridefar.com
iridefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #72
Whammo
Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer: 2,129
Camcorder alternative?

I'm seeing more and more of these units with big harddrives, a video screen and are about the size of a cassette walkman. Do these have recording capabilities and, if so, could they be a good alternative if having a handheld camera is not important?
Thanks
Old 12-23-2005, 11:17 PM   #73
ephemeris
UYPL

Oddometer: 663
Might check this system:
http://www.twenty20camera.com/
ephemeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:44 PM   #74
gts
Bark Buster

Quote:
I'm seeing more and more of these units with big harddrives, a video screen and are about the size of a cassette walkman.
I'm pretty sure those have AV inputs for a remote camera - much better than hauling around a camcorder, and probably can go USB to PC.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:20 AM   #75
mackdaddy
Finding my way

Oddometer: 842
Question Viosport or helmetcamera.com

First, thanks any fellow riders that have given me any feedback concerning helmet cameras. I really would like to be able to capture my rides. I think I have narrowed down the two companies to viosport.com and helmetcamera.com. I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has purchased equipment from either of the companies. Both companies seem to use the Sony lipstick camera with various resolutions available to the consumer. I have my own DV camcorder. Thanks for any responses.
mackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote