Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #91
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,687
LOL I stuck it on the top of my helmet like a dork, with some zip-ties through a vent and a bead of goop. Will see if a low branch takes it out. I'm actually kinda impressed that it held up for a few minutes at a time while strapped to my bike mirror. My GPS wouldn't last 10 ft even on the RAM mount without wired power.

The picture is so-so, about like an X10 camera if you've ever seen one of those. I must stress that it is outdoor light only. I tried it indoors tonight and the picture is basically black.
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #92
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Hey, that actually worked pretty good. Though I have to redo it because it is pointing too low.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #93
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Here I took a section of video 640x480 15fps. I could have converted it to mp4 to make it smaller, but I wanted to keep it in the same format so you can see what the camera creates.

avi1.avi

Edited... Man, I just couldn't get that putfile to work. I've changed it over to zippyvideos.

UGH, I just can't win. zippyvideos evidently reformats the video. They've crapified it into a tiny blurry mess compared to the original. What you see above is nothing like what I uploaded.

Oh wait.. you can pick "Original" at the bottom of the vid page. Cool. Nevermind.

potatoho screwed with this post 01-11-2006 at 03:59 PM
Old 01-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #94
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,589
just received mine today. Haven't done much with it as yet (I'm stuck in meetings) but I was surprised to find that attaching it to my Mac via the USB cable produced nothing...first USB device I've attached to a Mac that it hasn't recognized. Plugged it into a TV and it works fine that way.

I need to get ahold of a SD card so that I can edit files on the Mac.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #95
markgsnw
WTF?

ATC-1000 sucess

I've got it working with a Mac, the secret is to format the SD card on a Winblows machine first (the MacOS MSDOS FAT16 format doesn't work for some reason). After that, the SD card mounts right up on the Mac and you've got AVI and JPG files to work with. I shot a short movie and edited it with QuickTime. Wow, it even has sound. A 30 second clip (640x480) produces a 10 MB file.

For what this is meant to be, which is something to have fun with, I'd call it good. I'll have fun with it and won't be too upset if it dies or flys off on its own, for $60 plus the cost of an SD card (which are pretty cheap these days). Or much less upset than if my $400 camera went flying.

keywords for searching: Oregon Scientific ATC-1000 video camera

markgsnw screwed with this post 01-21-2006 at 11:09 AM Reason: added keywords
Old 01-20-2006, 09:14 PM   #96
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Yeah, mine was an x-mas present. For helmet mounting, I'm 100% happy with goop. I take the included mount piece and I stick it where I want, just enough to hold it in place for a good while, double-stick tape or whatnot. Then I run a bead of goop along the outside of a couple of edges and let it sit overnight. Solid!

When I don't want the mount on my helmet any more, I just take some needle nose pliers and begin twisting up the goop. Usually I've left a little stringer of goop off to the side where it is easy to grab. You can take goop off in one piece once it is completely dry (8 hours at least) if you twist it up a little at a time, and you'd never know it was there.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:29 AM   #97
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport
How much video could you record with 4 AAA batteries?

There is the million dollar question. Gyzmo got one of these for X-mas. He has been using it to try and film our off roading at a local atv park. He purchased a memory card, but hasn't been able to record anything since.
Seems the 4 aaa can't handle the extended filming chores. I think Gyzmo is going to try rechargable batteries next hoping for the best . Maybe he will chime in.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:37 AM   #98
Voltar
Jr Asst Road Captain

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy da pinhead
Seems the 4 aaa can't handle the extended filming chores. I think Gyzmo is going to try rechargable batteries next hoping for the best .
That should make is worse. Rechargable AA will not put out a full 1.5V like a good battery will.

My projects and stuff:
http://www.whiskeytangohotel.com/
Voltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #99
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

I think I'm on my 2nd set of batteries. Probably only get about 3 hours of recording per set. There's always lithium batteries.. or perhaps wiring up an external 6V source. Should be easy since the battery tray comes out.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:07 AM   #100
markgsnw
WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy da pinhead
There is the million dollar question. Gyzmo got one of these for X-mas. He has been using it to try and film our off roading at a local atv park. He purchased a memory card, but hasn't been able to record anything since.
Seems the 4 aaa can't handle the extended filming chores. I think Gyzmo is going to try rechargable batteries next hoping for the best . Maybe he will chime in.

I had this problem too at first: I inserted an SD card and the unit wouldn't turn on. Took the card out , took the battery tray out to reset the unit, reinstalled, and it was OK again without the card. So I did two things:

replaced the batteries

formatted the SD card on a PC with a FAT32 file system.

works fine now.

I'll probably buy a couple of sets of rechargable AAA batteries. AAA's are quite small, not sure what the amp hour rating is but it can't be much.

Old 01-21-2006, 11:19 AM   #101
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,179
Thumb

Thanks for the heads up ! I will pass information along .
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #102
Gyzmo
Innernet legend

Oddometer: 177
I think I'll try lithium batteries. They are rated at 2900 mAh where the regular alkaline batteries rate about 1500. I have recorded a bit of footage, and like the guy earlier, I had the camera pointed too far down. Got some nice footage of the trail directly in front of me. Used velcro to attach the camera to my helmet, then safety tied the thing to my goggles. I think it has gotten knocked off my head nearly every ride I have had it along.

Can you post video on smugmug?
Gyzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:00 PM   #103
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawidual
Nice that it will upgrade with a SD card. Pretty low res with the 15fps.
Cheap alternative to a sony bullet and DV cam set-up though at $120.
So what is a good fps?? I was looking at this one and the Tony Hawk Helmet cam but couldn't find any info on its fps.

Is there a number you want to look at staying above for quality clips??

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:48 AM   #104
Bradipo
Sloth mode rider

Oddometer: 27
Question Shooting while riding

Hi there from Italy!

Many of you post pics that seems to be taken while riding. I can immagine you can manage it with a compact camera; the lens is protected when the camera is turned off.

But what about a reflex? Any solution to fix it to the tank or on the forks?
I wouldn't like to see my Canon D350 bouncing around witout any cover on the lens.

TIA,
Matteo
Bradipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:17 AM   #105
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,320
I use all manner of RAM mounts, from suction cups to clamps, to use a D100 on a cable release while riding. Be sure to get a 1A filter so yeh don't get bugs on yer optics.
matey peeps is offline   Reply With Quote