ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,197
Dirtbike Test Ride Request

Forgive me KTMers out there for I am considering jumping ship

I've been racing my KTM300 and doing one of them crazy things of considering a change of pace. Is there anyone with any of the following that would be up for meeting up and allowing me a possible test ride?:

1996-2000's Yamaha YZ125 or possibly YZ250

Or possibly even a KTM 125 or 200.

I'm enjoying the 300 no doubt, BUT I'm a trials guy at heart and the 300 just not getting as confident on the 300 as I would have liked and would like to try riding a few other things before I plunk down some moneys.

I'd be happy to supply in exchange some of your favorite beverage or something of the like. I'd also let whoever take the 300 for a whirl if they'd like too

And to make a certain Skinner here happy.....Other consideration is keeping the 300 and adding a 125 with a Rekluse for the wife to go riding with me.

Thanks
Andrew

PS. Oh yeah...I'm about 10 minutes south of Lake Geneva, WI, I go riding with Lamoson up in them parts fairly regularly, and am up for meeting in various places (Rocky glen is a somewhat decent test-bed....not very technical though).
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Moose Dog
Trouble maker

Oddometer: 2,990
A YZ 250 is as much a handfull as a pumkin 300, maybe even more so, the midrange hit is really hard, that's why I sold mine and bought the CRF 250 X.

On the other hand, the YZ 125 might suit you best, the only problem is the lack the bottom end torque for woods riding.

IMHO.........The 250 four stroke makes the best power for trail riding, it finds traction everywere and has tons of bottom end torque, plus e-start, 18" rear wheel, side stand, headlight, taillight, wide ratio gear box, soft suspention and 100+ miles on a tank of gas.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Moose,
Thanks for the heads up. I feel I should elaborate. If I were riding anything a bit more open, I would say that the 300 is not too much. For ripping in the UP, or for anything even remotely more open, it is one kickin' machine. Problem for me is that 1:45+ on it in a harescramble is just overkill. Even running 13\52 gearing I'm barely getting out of idling 2nd\3rd in the tight stuff. And while I do find that it can save my mistakes on hills and whatnot, I feel plenty of other machines could do the same. That is also kind of what I am not liking about it too, is that it just doesn't feel like a 2-stroke in the tight stuff. It doesn't feel light and snappy. Maybe I'm spoiled by it or something, I dunno

My buddy with a 250F suggested I go that route. I just don't know if I could make the switch back to 4 strokes. Street\occasional use would be one thing, but at my current 2-4 races per month schedule I really like the low cost of the 2-stroke, and their power delivery as well is just...I dunno, I prefer it?

So far my thought has been to find a 125 and if I feel it doesn't quite have the guts, then send it to Eric Gorr for around 450$ and have a 150cc bike. I guess the more I type here, the more I think I know what I just need to do. lol

Andrew
Old 08-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Moose Dog
Trouble maker

EG makes a 144 kit, I've ridden one, the difference is almost unnoticeable.

Also, you won't finish a 1.5 H.S. with a stock tank on a YZ 125 without stopping for a splash of fuel.

Two 16 year olds race for me at Fox Valley on YZ 125's, they do real well on them, there very durable machines, however, the boys weigh 100 lbs. with gear on.

One of there bikes has a EG 144 and the other is stock, they'll both tell ya "it ain't worth the money for the 144"

As far as "snappy" goes, come out to the Moose Compound, I'll let you ride my heavely modded 250 X and you'll see what I'm talk'in bout Willis !!!
Old 08-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

This is why I want to give some of these bikes a try That being said, I'm no fanboy for one brand or the other, but oddly prefer Yamaha over most anything else. Dunno why that is.

You still gonna be out by your place on Sunday? Maybe it'll convince me to switch back to the 4-stroke dark side....eeeks, I don't know if I wanna think about that
Old 08-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Moose Dog
Trouble maker

You would like the YZ125, you just gotta rev its little brains out and learn to abuse the clutch alot, a big tank, a big rear sprocket, a skid plate, some hand guards and good tires, you be all set.

I'm ready for Sunday, I could arange for you to ride both those 125's, they live on the other side of my track, if there home Sunday.

Give me a pm Saturday afternoon and we'll see whats going on.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
jzee
John Z

Oddometer: 562
Andrew I have a 2006 Husky WR 250, about 4hrs on it I would let you try out. I am on the other side looking for a 300, for the more open stuff we ride (UP)

John Z

[IMG]images/misc/paperclip.gif[/IMG]
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582842
jzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Moose Dog,
Sounds like the 125 could be the hot ticket. I'm used to (ab)using clutches And I think that might be whats really killing me with the 300. Trials was just non-stop clutching for me, as was the tighter off-roading I was doing with my 650. I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow, but yeah I'd like to meet up Sunday if possible.

jzee,
That Husky is oh so beautiful, but I don't think my 300 is worth what your bike is. Which is the other key factor to me of these 125's. They are mad cheap

Andrew
Old 08-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,349
Since your a trials guy, don't forget a GG. I just bought a GG300, but debated between a 250/300 for same reasons you stated.

My current race bike is a Husky WR250. I have a Rekluse in it and can bog-O-matic it through the woods to save my energy and snap it to life in the open stuff. I really like the roominess of this bike too.

I also own a Honda 250X and love riding tight trails with it. As Moose says, it feels slow, but puts every once of power into moving forward. No wasted tire spin or arm wrenching power. I have had many hole shots on the A line with this bike. (unless it's longer than 4th gear, before shutting back down). This bike is my primary trail bike at home.

I bought the GG with intent of replacing the Honda. But I might just keep the Honda, if I don't love the GG. I too was looking at dumping the four stroke and trying to keep maintenance simple and cheap. I have never had an issue with my Honda, but I have put a lot money into preventative measures. It has a ton of hours on it.

I also have a KTM 450 that is plated and I use this as my CO bike and DS bike where a license is necessary. I like this bike too, but would never race it. It's just too much and would wear me out in a two hour.

I also have owned a KTM 200 and loved the motor. Perfect for aggressive off road. This was back in 03 and the chassis and suspension needed improvement. They are much better today. And don't forget the KTM or GG 250's. Same rolling chassis, but much easier to race, because of the softer power.

I have also ridden converted YZ250's and like these the least. Just too snappy and MX type motor for the tight woods I like to ride. They had flywheel weights too.

I also recently rode a 144 Husky. Fun bike, but I'm just not aggressive enough to keep the bike on the pipe to keep moving forward. Super light feeling though.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:48 AM   #10
Moose Dog
Trouble maker

I bought my 250X in the fall of 04', it's been to Land Between The Lakes in Kentucky, Windrock Mnt. in Tennesee, Mojave Desert in SoCal, U.P. of Michigan, Badlands in Indiana, Buffalo Range in IL. and has never failed me.

It has over 5000 miles on it in 6 years, the myth of 4 strokes being high mant. is a load of bull crap, change the oil in them, keep air filters clean, repack the chassis and bearings every winter, lube the cables and assemble them right and there bullet proof.

I have put in 3 sets of intake valves, 100 bucks a wack and about 3 hours of work, pretty simple job, you just gotta have a valve spring compressor, a service manual and a shim kit, it's less exspensive than a top-end on a 2 stroke.

They are slugs when stock, you gotta uncork the muffler, open the air box up, cut the pink wire and re-jet them, no biggie, no cost.

My bike has a ported head, Pro Circuit piston, JD jet kit, Dr.D full exaust, Cycra hand guards, works glide plate, Hammer Head shifter, Excell wheels, Bull Dog SS spokes & nipples, 09' plastics, Hot Cams Stage 1 cam, radiator braces and it drinks a steady diet of 100 octane Sunoco Blue race fuel that I get at a local gas station for about 6.00 bucks a gallon.

To me, this is the perfect trail bike and HS bike, I ran in the top ten last year at Fox Valley in plus 30 class, (I'm 49 years old) quit laughing. The e-start alone is worth gold when your stalled on a hill or an off chamber, I'll have this bike for many more years, it's that good.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:33 AM   #11
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Guys, I really appreciate all the input here. After I got the 300, I couldn't imagine ever thinking that there could be a "better" bike out there for racing. Everything I read online tells me the 300 is THE best bike out there for this, but well, I'm just not 100% sold yet. I figure every little bit to help me through a race, the better.

There is a GasGas 200 about 2 minutes from my house for sale. I checked it out, quite nice. I know basically any part of GasGas bikes can be had from the importer in Indiana quick snap, but the cheapness of the Japanese bikes is outstanding (I'm cheap and picky ). It is still a thought in my mind.

I'm about to go put a few more hours on the 300 right now. Gonna work on some new trails with Lamoson right now as well. I need to get my rear in gear. Endurocross in less than a month

Andrew
Old 08-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #12
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,576
Andrew, Ted Marshall is selling his 200 exc! I can give you his number. He would probably let you try it for a day first, have him call me and I will vouch for you.

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Jim,
Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I think I might have to switch to the 4-stroke dark side. I rode a kids 2010 Honda CR250R today. Sweet word. I felt like I was on a play bike, that just had non-stop power. Thing was bonestock too. Oddly quiet, but he assured us that he would be putting some mega noise FMF exhaust on it

I think the 300 might be put up on the chopping block here in a couple days. I'm still shooting to try and ride with Moose tomorrow to test out one of the YZ125 bikes if possible. I just need to feel the difference between that and the 250 4 stroke. The power delivery was just superb. Granted it was Fuel Injected and all that jazz, but dang. Felt like what I am looking for. Even went purdy fast too.

Andrew
Old 08-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
Moose Dog
Trouble maker

Theres no comparision, the 250 4 stroke makes a 125 smoker feel like a lawn mower.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #15
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore
So far my thought has been to find a 125 and if I feel it doesn't quite have the guts, then send it to Eric Gorr for around 450$ and have a 150cc bike.

KTM makes a nice 150, why go through the hassle. I've ridden every size KTM they make 2 and four stroke at one time or another and a majority of them in one dy at a demo. The EXC 2 stroke is one of my favorites along with the XCF thumper. If I didn't ride a KTM it'd be a CRF-X. I owned a 300MXC for some time and the best thing I did was tighten up the powervalve spring, Answer sneaker sparky and a Fatty pipe to move the power to the basement. Only a pro can use that much power and I am no where near that. The thing was tractor, a very fast tractor!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote