ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #16
rwamf OP
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz
To repeat:
What format are the maps: jpeg, pict, tiff, other proprietary?
How do you download the maps: click and save? Or do you need proprietary software?

How reasonable would it be to use Topo USA on my PC to import and export gpx files that will be on my PC and use the subscription to access very good maps? I will use other software and another GPS receiver to take care of my route and track log data collection. I don't want to buy the PN-40 at this time; maybe a larger screen PN-xx later. So I'm proposing to keep my current GPS receivers (not Delorme) but use the Delorme software for on-the-computer planning and review. I do not auto route, computer or receiver.
They are Delorme proprietary maps.
You have to download them in Topo 7.0 and it is very easy but time consuming as the files are quite large.
Topo 7.0 allows you to import and save track files as "gpx"
I only use my Topo 7 for route planning and creating tracks, The program does have a learning curve but once you get used to it it is amazing and very powerful.
I put all the image files I download on an external drive so I can view them on my work PC.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:35 AM   #17
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
I received my PN-40 last week... being my first GPS, I'm happy so far. TOPO7 has been the real struggle...as someone else said it has a steep learning curve.

I didn't want a large screen size. I wanted something that was small and portable for hiking, motorcycle riding and geocaching.

I attached some screen shots of the PN-40 display and the trail route I set up in TOPO7. I downloaded the aerial image just for the trail. It doesn't take long to eat up the $40 worth of free images from Delorme. This is were the subscription would come in handy. TOPO7 displays the blocks you have already downloaded aerial images for... so you don't down load them again.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 12-02-2008 at 04:14 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #18
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Nice looking maps --- sucky looking route/track representation. (so's the Garmin -- I hate the "white-worms")

I tried looking at the same area in both an older Garmin Topo and in CN NA 2008 and there are significant differences in what they show as the secondary roads. (Too lazy to post the screen shots right now)

The ability to look at the aerial images must be a real help in determining the ground truth. That alone may be enough to convince me once again to put up with the arcane Delorme interface.
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #19
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Thanx

I don't pretend to know anything about TOPO7. I'm a noob at the whole GPS thing. Any prior road trips... I just wrote the directions on my motorcycle windshield with a red white board marker. Kinda like a poor man's heads up display.

I just thought people would like to see several screen shots of an aerial image on the PN-40's display at different zoom levels. I haven't seen any posted anywhere else yet.

daryl
Old 12-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #20
fendermon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Impressive... to be sure.

Sow a seed of only 19.95 today!
fendermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #21
rwamf OP
Follow me

Here are a few screen shots, with "Draw layers on them, also a few "Hybrid" shots, ( you can display topo lines and roads etc on top of the Aerial images.)
You can save your "Saved tracks" as draw layers and make them look many different ways from Color changes to solid or dotted lines, it will also save the names so when you move the cursor over them it will display the name. Very Cool

The more I use this GPS the more I like it.

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 12-03-2008 at 01:39 PM
Old 12-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #22
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Here are a few screen shots,....
Can you see the same (or nearly so) on Topo7 on your PC? The previously posted maps don't look at all like the screen shots.

Again, I don't want to buy the PN-40, but I think I'd like to buy Topo7 and the map database subscription.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #23
rwamf OP
Follow me

Here are some screen shots of the PC program

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 12-05-2008 at 10:56 AM
Old 12-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #24
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Thanks for the screen shots - very nice. I like what I see...

Topo7 requirements include Windows XP SP 3. Will it truly NOT run on SP 2?
------------------------
I called Delorme. They said the wording was confusing:
U.S. Version Microsoft Windows XP or 2000 (Service Pack 3 and higher)

SP 3 applies to Windows 2000; XP with SP 2 is fine.

ramz screwed with this post 12-05-2008 at 08:08 AM Reason: Add info.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:25 AM   #25
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

I'm currently running mine on this ... I had to load it on another computer as my computer at home doesn't have a DVD drive.

System:
MicroSoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer:
Intel[R] Core[TM] 2 CPU
6600 @ 2.40 GHz
2.39 GHz 1.99 GB of RAM

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 12-04-2008 at 01:37 AM
Old 12-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #26
JBAR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
The PN-20 with Xmap Professional has routing capabilities. The most exspensive part of a GPS is not tereciever it is the software on the desktop. The PN-40 with x-map 6.0 professional is solid. I have the 20 and it is good just small. For mapping and off road navigation the Delorme products are hardd to beat.
my .02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z
Anybody out there in ADV world have one of these? I'm curious to see if it's faster than the PN-20 and how it compares to the Garmin 60csx. I like the Delorme maps but I wish the PN-20 had faster screen redraws and routing capabilities.
JBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #27
JBAR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Daryl,
A lot of airal maps and topo maps are free from your State AG department and the Federal Ag Department. Saves big bucks on the download costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c
I received my PN-40 last week... being my first GPS, I'm happy so far. TOPO7 has been the real struggle...as someone else said it has a steep learning curve.

I didn't want a large screen size. I wanted something that was small and portable for hiking, motorcycle riding and geocaching.

I attached some screen shots of the PN-40 display and the trail route I set up in TOPO7. I downloaded the aerial image just for the trail. It doesn't take long to eat up the $40 worth of free images from Delorme. This is were the subscription would come in handy. TOPO7 displays the blocks you have already downloaded aerial images for... so you don't down load them again.

daryl

JBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:13 AM   #28
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Quote:
Here are a few screen shots, with "Draw layers on them, also a few "Hybrid" shots,
Here are some screen shots of the PC program
rwamf, where did your pictures go? I can't see them anymore...
Old 12-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #29
rwamf OP
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz
rwamf, where did your pictures go? I can't see them anymore...
It looks like my server did an upgrade, but restored my stuff from back at July-07, All kinds of things are missing,
Hopefully they will find all my Data
R

rwamf homepage
Old 12-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #30
gearmaker
UmDumChuck

Oddometer: 102
Delorme Maps

I just got the Delorme Earthmate, Street Atlas, Topo 7.0, and Map Library.
The Quads are easy and quick to download, fantastic detail. I can't wait for spring riding.
Does anyone have a link for transfering the Delorme Topo maps to a Garmin readable file?
I did try a ADVrider search, but didn't find a link.
But then again UmDumChuck.
gearmaker is offline   Reply With Quote