ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #46
rwamf OP
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk

I've boiled my list down to the PN40 and the Garmin 60/70 Cs units because I will be using it a lot for off bike use and want one where I can replace batteries in the field. I suppose the newer Etrex Legend could be in there as well. I've used a Colorado and liked it but it just does not seem to be as good a value.

Beyond the TOPO software complexities and routing deficiencies are there any other issues that differenciate between the PN40 and 60/70 Cs units like the way they store and manage routes or GPX files etc.?
The Garmin 60/76 series will save full resolution tracks to the SD card but you can not bring them back from the card to the GPS, they will hold 20 saved tracks at up to 500 points in each track, and you can change the color of them turn them on or off or display them all at once. You will also have to buy mapping software to use on the Garmins $$$$ plus they will only handle non SDHC SD cards so 2 and very few 4 gig cards are max.

The Delorme comes with their very nice Topo 8.0 software that is amazing.
You can add draw layers ( all your saved tracks etc) to the maps and even save them to display on the GPS, very cool. The PN-40 will allow you to save or import 10 saved tracks ( each at 10,000 points max)but you can only display one at a time, you can change the color etc. Delorme also has the 30$ a year download service which is awesome, I have been down loading all kinds Aerial Photos of places I ride or plan to ride. it is great as you can draw tracks on the Aerial images to down load as a track or as a Draw Layer on the GPS. On the PC you can view them in 3D and overlay your tracks on them, It is much more powerful than Mapsource, as is the learning curve. The PN-40 will also accept 32gig SD cards so you can carry much more Map data with you.

You can import a "GPX" file into the topo program and then transfer the track file to the PN-40 , not a problem but it will not accept a gpx file directly, Yet ( as Delorme has stated that with the update due out in spring of 2010 you will be able to load to and from your SD card "gpx" files directly) so if you plan on riding any Organized Dual Sport rides and don't have a Laptop with you it could be a problem where as with the Garmin unit most organizers will download directly to your GPS.

The only real drawback I have with my Delorme is the screen is just too small.
If I go out on the dirt bike the PN-40 is first one to be picked, If I am going do more street stuff then I would grab my XOG as it's larger screen and street routing features are better IMO, I would guess I have not used the Garmin 60c in over a year, and don't see the need to ever use it again.

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 12-21-2009 at 02:41 PM
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #47
KellyC
TimeKeeper

Oddometer: 604
Is there a Touratech mount for the Delorme PN-40?

What's the burly mounting option?
KellyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:37 AM   #48
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 317
I know of no Touratech mounts for it. I'm using the RAM mount for now and it seems to be working pretty well. I do find that in direct sunlight it is hard to read, so I find myself adjusting the angle of it quite a bit to get to the "sweet" spot.

Wayne
Old 07-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #49
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Price drop?

Just picked one up at Amazon for $260+$10 shipping.
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #50
Skooter
people suck

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette
Just picked one up at Amazon for $260+$10 shipping.
I'm only seeing it for $299 at Amazon. Am I missing something?
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #51
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
You are right. I guess the deal I got is gone. I have been looking for the last two weeks at it was always at $299, then I just happened to look this past week and they had it for $260, but it was through one of their subsidiary stores.

Same thing happened with the 60cx I was looking at a few months ago. When I first looked at it, price was $229. Thought that was normal and didn't get it, only to find a few days later it was up at $260 and hasn't dropped down.

J&R now have the PN-40 on their website for $340! Wow.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter
I'm only seeing it for $299 at Amazon. Am I missing something?
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #52
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDScarecrow
I was comparing the PN-40 and the Nuvi 500 at the local outdoor shop - the sales guy was pushing the Nuvi hard, claiming that the PN-40 wouldn't stand up to the vibration of being mounted to a dual sport motorcycle. Any thoughts/opinions/experiences?
Well, I bought one and wound up sending it back.

Summary: screen is too small, had software issues, and the unit died after 2 days of road use.

First, the screen is really small. I found it very hard to use for directions while in motion. Had some trouble with it washing out, too.

Second, I had some problems with TOPO 7.0 (large area of north-central U.S. missing all detailed data) that Garmin could not solve (they did try hard, including sending new software.) This may have been a user error or computer error, but I spent quite some time with Garmin tech support and they, too, were left scratching their heads.

Third, and most importantly, the unit died on the second day of a cross-country trip (the first trip I had made with the unit, which was only about 3 weeks old.) The unit was mounted in a RAM mount on my DRZ. The DRZ isn't the smoothest bike around, but all the riding on those first two days was on pavement. Not sure if this was just bad luck or if it was the vibes that killed it, but after that I just asked for my money back rather than asking for a repair.

I did like it pretty well for hand-held use, while it lasted. My next one, though, will be a Nuvi 500 or 550.

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #53
Skooter
people suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette
You are right. I guess the deal I got is gone. I have been looking for the last two weeks at it was always at $299, then I just happened to look this past week and they had it for $260, but it was through one of their subsidiary stores.

Same thing happened with the 60cx I was looking at a few months ago. When I first looked at it, price was $229. Thought that was normal and didn't get it, only to find a few days later it was up at $260 and hasn't dropped down.

J&R now have the PN-40 on their website for $340! Wow.

Jim
Found it $299 at Crutchfield, free shipping, no tax. Good enough. Order placed.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #54
Skooter
people suck

Any new PN-40 users out there?

Got mine about 3 weeks ago and I'm pleased overall, except for the steep learning curve and having to refer to the manual every time I wanna do simple stuff. Topo 8 software has a big learning curve too, but I'm getting the hang of it and it appears quite powerful. The small screen aint so bad, because it's easy to find the perfect zoom level for the speed you happen to be traveling (whether you're hiking trails or riding freeway).
Old 08-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #55
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
I just got an se and so far i like The only other gps i have experience with is a pn20 and the 40 blows it right away!!It is much faster all the way around not really such a thing as a screen redraw as it moves right along, i can zoom to see what ever i want while riding and can scroll around to see where i want to go. the screen is small but it slips right into a pocket something the bigger units can't do. so so far i'm pretty happy with it .
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:03 AM   #56
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat_Sci
One of the features that has me most interested in the Delorme is the ability to turn track into routable trails for sharing. I have also drawn in missing segments of a road before (TOPO 6.0) to make it routable. These are great features. I email'd them and got more information, that others checking this thread out might want to look at.

Hello Scott, thanks for expressing your interest in DeLorme's new Earthmate PN-40. As part of the project team I am very pleased with the potential of this new device and the Topo USA software that goes along with it to create our GPS mapping solution. I've actually written a blog post with suggestions for mapping trails with our GPS device and Topo USA, you might find it interesting and be able to draw parallels to your primitive road mapping scenario.

http://blog.delorme.com/2008/10/11/m...rthmate-pn-40/

We are working on several projects right now related to cross-platform support. I'm not sure if you are familiar with Geocaching.com, but this modern treasure hunting activity is taking off in the GPS community and has drawn quite a few "cachers" to our new device and the functionality that we are getting ready to release. Read more about our Geocaching.com Initiative here...

http://blog.delorme.com/2008/11/11/g...he-mac-and-pc/

As for user driven trail content, you should check out our Eartha Community Atlas project, an early effort by DeLorme to create a social network where our users can post their trail content and share it with others. I've included a link to our Off-Road Motor Sports community. While the number of contributors is still fairly low, we're keeping an eye on use to see when interest might warrant additional efforts in that area. Check it out, you might find some motorcycle trails in your area.

http://www.eartha.com/Off_Road_Motor/
was wondering if you could fix your off road like as it does not work for me?
Beta Techno
Old 08-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #57
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
If anyone wants to buy a RAM cradle for this (not the full mount) I will sell you mine for a fair price. Used for only two days. Send me a PM.

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 AM   #58
lenoreray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
power cord

Anyone know where I can buy a PN-40 power cord that plugs into a BMW/Powerlet type socket? I have the cradle and mount and a cig. lighter cord for use in the car, but my bikes have powerlet sockets. Thanks
You can blear the words and miss your cues. You can play it in a marching band, with the tubas bobbing up and down, farting the hook. You can even, like radio station KFJC, spin 823 different versions by different bands for a straight 63 hours. Go ahead, try anything-- because you can't fuck up "Louie, Louie".
lenoreray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #59
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

i got a powerlet to cig lighter cord from my bmw dealer and use that that way i can charge my phone and my walkman as they have a cord for the cig lighter too.
Beta Techno
Old 08-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #60
rwamf OP
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenoreray
Anyone know where I can buy a PN-40 power cord that plugs into a BMW/Powerlet type socket? I have the cradle and mount and a cig. lighter cord for use in the car, but my bikes have powerlet sockets. Thanks

I have one of these,

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 09-01-2009 at 11:36 AM
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote