User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #61
rwamf OP
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,343
with the latest update ( 2.7) you can save your full resolution track files to the SD card as "gpx" files,
Also with update 2.8 ( due spring 10)
"Storing waypoints and tracks on the SD card has caught the attention of many PN-40 owners who use Topo USA. I am writing this post to let all of you know that we are going to release a version 2.8 firmware update that delivers this same waypoint and track support on the SD card, as well as support for geocaches. You will be able to copy GPX files containing waypoints or tracks from Topo USA to your SD card and open them while you are out on the trail. You will also be able to save newly created waypoints and tracks while you’re out, for use later with the device or with your desktop software."
That would give you a almost unlimited track file capability, Very cool.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #62
LongCliff
Bagger

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
Also with update 2.8 ( due spring 10)
"Storing waypoints and tracks on the SD card has caught the attention of many PN-40 owners who use Topo USA. I am writing this post to let all of you know that we are going to release a version 2.8 firmware update that delivers this same waypoint and track support on the SD card, as well as support for geocaches. You will be able to copy GPX files containing waypoints or tracks from Topo USA to your SD card and open them while you are out on the trail. You will also be able to save newly created waypoints and tracks while you’re out, for use later with the device or with your desktop software."
That would give you a almost unlimited track file capability, Very cool.
I'm bumping into the current 1000 waypoint limit on my PN-40. Looking forward to the update to let me put the waypoints on the sd card.
LongCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #63
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,676
DeLorme now works great for Canada.

I just found out DeLorme/NetLink have added all of Canada with 1:50,000 topo maps. With the excellent street detail for Canada in Topo USA 8 and the ability to download the Canadian topo maps, this unit is great for those of us close to the border. Tpop USA 7 had very poor coverage outside of the US. Here is a screen shot of northwestern Vancouver, BC.

Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #64
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer: 446
I have owned a PN-20 for about two years with Topo 7. Last month, I started looking at a replacement, and of course the PN-40 was on the list, because I get all the marketing material from Delorme which showed how much more improved the 40 was over the 20. But, I also considered a Garmin 60CSX. My research concluded it was a compromise, the smaller screen of the PN-40 and better maps, or the larger screen and battery life of the Garmin 60CSX with expensive Topo maps.

When Amazon offered the PN-40 in the Black Monday 24-hour sale for $199. I was on it like a geocaching fool about to find the cache. The PN-40 arrived two days later with Topo 8, and I quickly set it up similar to my PN-20. The Topo 8 maps are better than v.7, and include Canada Topo and streets, AND highways in Mexico! These maps come with the PN-40. As mentioned above, you can subscribe to the Delorme Map Library for $29.95 per year and download all the aerial imagery and USGS Quads that you want! That is an incredible buy.

The PN-40 is incredibly fast, immediately noticeable while traveling. And, it has more memory capacity allowing you to track and add all those Quads to the unit. It's a pretty cool unit with great maps ... if you're okay with the smaller screen. The specs say it will accommodate a 32 gig SD card. I have the TOPO 8 maps for the Midwest on my 4 gig card and it looks great. Lots of detail on the PN-40, even more when you layer the USGS Quads in there!

Also, the Topo software will import a GPX file, which can then be saved and transferred to the PN-40.

Today, Delorme announced (through GPSTracklog.com) that the new PN-60 will be available in May with a built in SPOT finder. It's pricey.

Brent

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650.
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #65
LongCliff
Bagger

That's a good deal on the PN-40 for $199. I paid $350 for mine a year or so ago.

What I really enjoy about the PN-40 is the hybrid map display. I have black/white DOQQ aerial images of the entire Trans-America-Trail on mine, and it is a lot of fun to use the hybrid display (roads and aerial images) when navigating. I have a 32GB SDHC card installed.

I've never used any other gps. Can any other gps do a hybrid display with aerial images, or is that exclusive to Delorme?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #66
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,637
I jumped on the PN-40 also for $199. Great deal. I have been using delorme maps for years. My biggest complaint was garmin did not support delormes maps, then the PN series solved that problem :).

Plus when you lay out a route in topo and push it to the PN-40, the GPS will follow the route you sent it, It will not change the route the way my Nuvi's do.

I mounted it on the handlebars, my 50 year old eyes can still read the map with no problems. My only wish is I could hook it to my autocom so it would give me a sound warning about turn approaching. (it does buzz but not loud enough to hear on the bike.)
Old 01-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #67
KellyC
TimeKeeper

Oddometer: 604
Has anyone heard if Touratech is going to offer a mount/cradle for the PN-40?
Old 01-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #68
rwamf OP
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyC
Has anyone heard if Touratech is going to offer a mount/cradle for the PN-40?
Don't really need one as the Ram Mount works great. Holds the unit very securely .

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #69
monkeyfez
Enabler....

Oddometer: 5,014
While I agree that the RAM mounts do a great job holding on to the units it would be nice to have a lockable mount.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #70
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
those of you thinking about a pn40 might want to wait a bit and consider the new pn 60w comming out with the spot personal locator beacon hooked up with it!
http://forum.delorme.com/viewforum.p...93ad18571a7d43
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:05 AM   #71
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

For those of you thinking about the PN-40, here is some info.

I was using a Nuvi. I would make my route in Mapsource. I would push the route to the gps, which would turn around and change my route to the way the GPS felt it should have been routed. Sure I could add more waypoints or Vias to force the route to go the way I wanted, but the more waypoints I added the slower the GPS would run. Some times I would need 100 way points for a days ride!.

With the PN-40, first turn off "Back on track while driving" on the PN-40.
Create your route in Topo8, push it to the GPS and you will find your route is exactly as you made it in topo8!

Yesterday I tried it with a "yet to be released" PA section of the TET. The PN-40 matched the route I created in Topo 8, turn by turn for the compete over 150 mile route.

Now if it ever gets warm my team will start to test ride the "new and improved" route for the PA-TET (we are up to 4 days riding in the PA section).
Old 01-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #72
LongCliff
Bagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro
With the PN-40, first turn off "Back on track while driving" on the PN-40.
Create your route in Topo8, push it to the GPS and you will find your route is exactly as you made it in topo8!
You got that right! First time I used the PN-40 I had that "back on track" thing turned on and it made a mess of everything. Turned it off and all was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro
Yesterday I tried it with a "yet to be released" PA section of the TET. The PN-40 matched the route I created in Topo 8, turn by turn for the compete over 150 mile route.

Now if it ever gets warm my team will start to test ride the "new and improved" route for the PA-TET (we are up to 4 days riding in the PA section).
I just got the TWVT (which includes a route thru PA right near my house) and the TETNJ loaded on my PN-40. Is the PA-TET even more stuff in addition to what I already have? You guys are awesome for putting these routes together!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #73
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongCliff
I just got the TWVT (which includes a route thru PA right near my house) and the TETNJ loaded on my PN-40. Is the PA-TET even more stuff in addition to what I already have? You guys are awesome for putting these routes together!
Yes, Definitely much different then the PA track you already have.
I have a copy of that same track you do. I was kind of disappointed when I saw how they looped around Phila, headed towards Harrisburg then out of the state. I thought "why leave out the best parts of PA?" so I volunteered.

Here is what I have laid out so far (waiting to be proof ridden by my team).

PA track, from NJ to MD:

I start at a point the NJ trail (Rob) crosses into PA at French town NJ. starting out fresh in the morning (camp in NJ or PA near the bridge).

1st day. Ride from French town, around the SW side of Wilkes-barra, to just below Ricketts Glen. All back roads, estimate 20% unimproved road.
Several campgrounds, I contacted one, they have no problems with our crowd.

2nd day. Ride up to Ricketts Glen (for pictures), then North West to PA Grand Canyon east side (more pictures), then loop up to RT 6 and come back down the West side of the Canyon. Destination Quiet Oaks Campground just south of Crossfork PA. estimated 50% unimproved roads. Quiet Oaks has more then enough camping room, and cabins for rent if they are not full. Plus hot showers.
I can't wait to ride this days route. Coming up out of Ricketts Glen there is some beautiful unimproved roads (more pictures). Then as you head down the west side of the canyon, I think it's all unimproved roads all the way to Crossforks.

3rd day. From Crossfork, out through Elk State Forrest, then head south torwards Penn State, with camping at 7 mountains campground (big dual sport/dirt riding area.). (still working on details of this leg). Estimated 30-40% unimproved roads.

Extra: The 3rd day is kind of long. I am either going to change the route to leave out Elk State Forrest, or I am hoping to find a volunteer to meet my trail near Elk State forest, add a couple hours ride out through Allegheny National Forrest, spend a night camping somewhere and add enough miles the next day to connect back into my route above State Collage so we can camp at 7 mountains for the night. (it's ok if this is a short day since there is lots of trails to ride at 7 mountains).

4th day. From 7 mountains down to Willow Hill Camp and Trail (near Shippensburg). This is a shorter days ride, so it might allow time to play in Mixhaux area, or spend the morning playing in the 7 mountains area.
All back roads, I think this was at least 20% unimproved road, but we are working on raising that number :)

From there you pick up the TWVT.

Note: Unimproved road is stone/dirt that you would be capable of taking a truck down (I have a map of all unimproved county roads in PA).
I am ridding a Uly, my buddy is riding a Wee Strome, and I might have a hard core guy following on a BMW K100 RT :) (I have been testing him on local stone/dirt roads, I really think he could hang with us. He volunteered that if he has problems, he said he don't mind if he just points his GPS at the next campground (down the blacktop) and meets us there).
Old 01-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #74
J Banning
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Interested in the PN-40 and learning more about this PA section of the TET. towpro, I sent you a PM.

-Banning.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #75
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,005
Earthmate GPS PN-40, has anyone used it?

I was looking for the GREAT map books my dad uses and found this GPS. Looks pretty killer and comes with a ton of topo maps. My question is two fold: has anyone used it and if so are they happy? secondly, is it compatable with the track files people send out for rides? I hope I didn't violate anything, just a noob looking for the best bang for the buck. Its only 350 bucks.