Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Dan R OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
RV/Motorcycle Trip

Hello,

I just recently found this site, and have been reading non-stop for weeks. I currenly live in Ontario (Canada, not California) and have been dreaming about selling everything, and moving onto the road.

I'm not sure if this is the right section, but do any of you travel with a motorhome (I'm thinking ~20-24ft Class C) and a bike. The motorhome would serve as a 'base' and I would use the bike to travel around. I just sold my last bike and am in the process of shopping, I am seriously considering a supermoto setup (one of the problems I can forsee is getting the bike into/out of the RV - I would prefer not to tow a trailer, I am looking for a bike-friendly layout, and I'm sure the door will need some modifications) mainly for the small size and moderate off-road ability. Are there any ride reports with a similar setup? Anyone have any thoughts? It will be just me travelling, so I don't need a huge toy hauler RV (budget ~20k for RV), but would like something comfortable enough to live in.

In my dreams, I travel the Canada/US/Mexico working odd jobs here and there, but not settling down too long.
Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Dan R OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Geode,

Anyone else?

Dan
Old 07-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,810
Welcome to the asylum, Dan.

I'm doing that in a Lazy Daze class "C" with a Super Sherpa on the back on a rack.
I find an area I want to be in for awhile, park the RV, unload the bike to explore.

Currently in N. Arizona boondocking (free camping) in the Kaibab national forest.

If you don't move around too much, the RV lifestyle is good, fuel prices these days make it too expensive to cover much ground.

Let me know if I can answer any questions?

Here is a couple of pics of my setup.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,158
Hi Dan-

I live in a converted school bus, bouncing around the 4-corners states of the southwestern USA. Been doing this for nearly 2 years. Here's home:

That's southern Arizona, near Mexico. Currently I'm in Cripple Creek, Colorado.

More details on the conversion and travels here.

There are a few more full-time RVers kicking around the ADV forums. There are lots of forums where you can learn about the day-to-day realities of full-timing, such as finances, communications, etc. Escapees is one, though bear in mind that most of the participants there are from the senior/retired set, so they may have different concerns and priorities. Lots of helpful info for the beginner Rver.

SeanF screwed with this post 07-05-2008 at 09:53 PM
SeanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Dan R OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks again for the replies.

I'm not a stranger to the RV'ing 'lifestyle', I've had a travel trailer for 3 years, but have never come close to fulltiming, though it has helped me understand the problems that I may encounter.

Those are two nice looking setups, anything you guys/girls would have done differently?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
SeanF
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan R
anything you guys/girls would have done differently?
Yeah, I should have started doing it sooner.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
FYRMAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
Yeah, I should have started doing it sooner.

Amen!
FYRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
jgreer
hidden for privacy

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
Hi Dan-

I live in a converted school bus, bouncing around the 4-corners states of the southwestern USA. Been doing this for nearly 2 years. Here's home:

That's southern Arizona, near Mexico. Currently I'm in Cripple Creek, Colorado.

More details on the conversion and travels here.

There are a few more full-time RVers kicking around the ADV forums. There are lots of forums where you can learn about the day-to-day realities of full-timing, such as finances, communications, etc. Escapees is one, though bear in mind that most of the participants there are from the senior/retired set, so they may have different concerns and priorities. Lots of helpful info for the beginner Rver.
nice set up. How much power you draw with all the solar/wind stuff. I have a 30' fith wheeel toy hauler I live and work out of. All the comforts of home and if you don't like where your park you can always move. I have the sprint pcs card for internet and has work flawlessly for two years with pretty quik upload/download times.

Lots of luck Josh
jgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
SeanF
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreer
nice set up. How much power you draw with all the solar/wind stuff. I have a 30' fith wheeel toy hauler I live and work out of. All the comforts of home and if you don't like where your park you can always move. I have the sprint pcs card for internet and has work flawlessly for two years with pretty quik upload/download times.

Lots of luck Josh
Thanks Josh. There are 4 x 120 watt panels, and the wind turbine puts out 400 watts at peak (~30mph wind @ sea level), and starts generating at about 7mph. I have 4 x Trojan L16H batteries, each rated at 420AH @ 6 volts, wired in series/parallel for 12 volts. Power has yet to be a problem....but then all of the lighting is LED, there's no microwave or other major electrical draws other than fridge and computer(s).

I've been curious about the aircards for internet. Roughly what up/down speeds have you experienced?

I'm liking the mobile life. How long have you been at it? Any pics to share?

Sean
Old 07-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
www.evdoforums.com all your answers to "air cards"
manganos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
SeanF
-

Thx for the link.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
dalej
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
rv.net

Another good site to learn about different rv's and the lifestyle is rv.net
Old 07-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #13
BearII
No, it's not complicated

Oddometer: 225
Hi Dan,

Have you considered a toy hauler version? They make them as Class C's, trailers and fifth wheels. I bought a small 16' toy hauler trailer that I tow behind my truck. It doesn't have much, two beds, sink, frig, some storage but with the beds up I can get both my wife's F650GS and my R1200GS ADV in there no sweat.

I like the set up for low cost and convenience. I use a Nissan Titan to tow it which makes maintenance easy. One thing to remember with Class C's is that if you have a problem your home is in the garage and you're on the street. Of course, that's not a big problem, you can just take off on your bike and campout for a few days while it gets fixed. But for some folks it is a concern.

Eventually when we are truly full-timing we want to go with a fifth wheel toy hauler, but for now this is a sweet way to spend several months on the road.

Check out this website: www.rv-dreams.com. This couple is pretty cool, in their early forties they decided the rat race was not for them, bailed on the corporate jobs, sold everything and hit the road full time. Of course, their approach is stricly fifth wheel (no motorcycles) but the guys web site will definitely give you all the detail you need to think about to do it yourself including budgets, planning for medical, vehicle, life insurance, etc., etc.

Good luck!

'13 BMW R1200GS ADV (triple black) - it doesn't get any better... just had to get another one!, '07 BMW R1200GS ADV - sold after 73,000 wonderful miles together
'13 Ford Raptor SVT - wow, what a truck!
BearII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #14
northidaho
high side slide ride

Oddometer: 106
My wife and I are about to pull the trigger on a new Holiday Rambler Black Diamond toy hauler. I have 4 dirt bikes that I want to pull around and occationally my vstrom. I cant full time yet but it sure seems fun. Does any one have one of these rigs or one similar that can impart some info? Dont mean to high jack just want to keep the info going on this thread.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #15
yiet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Question Best southern destinations

This is a bit of a thread hi-jack and my apologies in advance. My wife and I are planning to do something similar starting this winter. But instead of spending money on the RV we are planning to pick 3 or 4 southern USA destinations with good year round riding and then take a monthly vacation home rental. I'll take my 07 GSA and a vehicle (for her) down in late fall and ride back in spring probably covering the four corners. Are there any recommendations from you experienced RVers or others living down south about the best locations to use as an operations base for touring and exploring the south of USA and north of Mexico?

PS If this doesn't work out well, I'll take the RV option.
yiet is offline   Reply With Quote