ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - West & PNW
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #16
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,399
If you're wearing a full-face helmet in AZ, they don't even bother sending the ticket because it's too hard to ID the rider from the photo. The bike's registered owner says,"it's not me" and they can't prove otherwise. FF helmet with a dark-tint shield makes it impossible.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:07 AM   #17
Taquito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I DO mind speed cameras. I'm ready to sue when the first one premiers in my area.

I don't mind red light camera. I think people should stop when told to do so. However, folks were very successful in CA getting cameras uninstalled by proving the operators of the cameras shorten the yellows to increase ticket rates.

It is also been proven that lengthening the yellows decreases the traffic fatality rate more effectively than the red light cameras which merely generate revenue - not improve public safety.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #18
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
Mythbusters did a show on how to beat the traffic cameras and nothing worked....
I've only seen the show mythbusters a few times and though they were funny and interesting, they were not very accurate or thorough ... the most they can honestly say is we did "x" and got "y" results. Usually though they tend to add to that equation an illogical conclusion such as therefore all KTM's are more reliable than all Hondas. (Even though in this case it may be true ;)). And just as the police show "cops" rarely shows anyone getting away in a high speed chase their following a responsible agenda to send a message to the publlic that you can't get away with breaking the speed limit or whatever.

Of course the manufactures claims can hardly be called unbiassed an accurate ... it sure sounds like an interesting product though. Much safer to be rebellious than having a red neck somewhere take pop shots at the cameras with a long range rifle.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:30 AM   #19
marakesh express
Dream Maker

Oddometer: 98
We`ve got thousands of the fecking things on our small island and all they are good for is a revenue collector for the government.

They are supposed to be placed in positions where there is a danger from speed or is an accident blackspot. This doesn`t happen and they love to put them in places where thyey know they will catch ordinary people going about their business. No one minds them in built up areas or near schools but it`s become policing via camera over here. We NEVER see police patrols now and camera`s don`t catch the real idiots who drive like muppets with no insurance etc.

Let me tell you guys there is no easy way to hide your number or identity and the sprays just don`t work. At one time, if they couldn`t prove who was riding or driving the vehicle, you would not be convicted of speeding but they have plugged that loop hole now. If you cannot or will not say who was riding or driving the vehicle, the fine and penalty points double. The authorities no longer have to prove it was you with solid evidence so in effect, you are guilty until proven innocent.

There was me thinking we lived in a fair society........

The big thing with camera`s are, they have no proven effect on the general speed of vehicles but oly slows them at the camera site so they don`t really work. The price of gas does though and at $11 per gallon it slows you down just a notch!!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:31 AM   #20
marakesh express
Dream Maker

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taquito
I DO mind speed cameras. I'm ready to sue when the first one premiers in my area.

I don't mind red light camera. I think people should stop when told to do so. However, folks were very successful in CA getting cameras uninstalled by proving the operators of the cameras shorten the yellows to increase ticket rates.

It is also been proven that lengthening the yellows decreases the traffic fatality rate more effectively than the red light cameras which merely generate revenue - not improve public safety.
Would be good to know who you are going to sue and and what grounds? It`s been tried over here and not worked.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:15 AM   #21
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by marakesh express
Would be good to know who you are going to sue and and what grounds? It`s been tried over here and not worked.
I'm shocked in gun happy USA there haven't been any sniper attacks on them :)

So just curious .... can you get two tickets in the states if you run a red light? I mean if a cop sees you I'm sure he'll write you a ticket, and then do you get an additional 1 in the mail?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #22
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl
I'm shocked in gun happy USA there haven't been any sniper attacks on them :)

So just curious .... can you get two tickets in the states if you run a red light? I mean if a cop sees you I'm sure he'll write you a ticket, and then do you get an additional 1 in the mail?

Maybe not in the US, but check this out:

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2a.htm

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #23
Taquito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by marakesh express
There are a variety and defenses and counter-offenses. Check out ticketassassin.com - it's very California specific but it should be a decent reference for all.

Basically one defense involves the speed rating for the road must be based on objective facts, like a traffic survey by the transit authority (CalTrans in CA). The 85th percentile of speed determines what the speed limit is (subject to the basic speed laws, and maximum speed laws). But if the traffic survey wasn't performed within in the last 36 months, or the speed limit chosen is arbitrarily low (35 mph) it's a 'speed trap' and your ticket may/should be thrown out. (Yeah doesn't always work, but it works often enough!).

Secondly, if the owner-operator of the cameras is not a governmental agency... that opens a whole can of worms - because their motive is a percentage of operations (aka 'tax farming'), not "public safety".

In the case of San Diego, California, the owner-operator of the red light cameras was Lockheed Martin and they received approx $70 for every red light ticket they wrote. The legal case/summary can be read here:
http://www.highwayrobbery.net/TickRe...essdmotion.asp

But again I'm inclined to leave the red light cameras in place, because I know people who's children have been run over and killed in crosswalks by red light runners (I won't ride my bicycle on the road to this day). But its the roving speed cameras that I'm on the lookout for.

Hey I always drive the speed limit... and stop at reds and watch my mirrors and sides... so the whole discussion is mostly academic.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #24
Codewheeney
Hoopy Frood

Oddometer: 2,557
I've updated the gpx file that Ratbones posted with locations of the new DPS speed cameras on the freeways. Coming soon to the east side, already installed on the west side.

I've also categorized them into two categories, so I can keep track of them easier.

JC, Double plus un-good poster
Attached Files
File Type: gpx az camera locations.gpx (73.4 KB, 139 views)

Plays in traffic.
Codewheeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #25
Groo OP
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 534
thanks Jim, I was going to do the same.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #26
AZcacti
Dope on a Rope

Oddometer: 1,320
Thanks guys...
AZcacti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #27
Codewheeney
Hoopy Frood

Oddometer: 2,557
I noticed this weekend while out in the west valley that the locations are no complete for the southbound 101. There's a fixed camera at Indian School (I think) and one just at the stack with I-10. I need to get out there again and check the exact locations. If anyone has corrections, post 'em here.

JC

Plays in traffic.
Codewheeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #28
me109g4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
camera removal,,

how about late night raids on cameras with a can of spray paint???
me109g4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #29
Groo OP
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 534
I was thinking a sledge to the flash....

I went thru a few this weekend, and a couple were not exact, the one heading north 17 was about a mile or so off. They were still out installing them. I will fix a couple when I have the chance to verify. I think one on the 60 was off. I , marked it on the GPS, but I had an issue so need to re mark .

so if anyone is willing to mark there positions please update and thx jim
Old 11-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #30
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,399
I received the following email today :

Quote:
New DPS Photo Radar Stationary Camera Locations

DPS has rolled out mobile cameras throughout the state, and they're now starting to put up stationary cameras too. The first nine will be up and running by November 22nd (they're starred below). The other locations will follow. When finished, there will be a total of 60 stationary cameras and 40 mobile ones throughout Arizona . If you get a ticket for going 10 miles over the speed limit, you'll pay $181.

**Starred camera locations will be set up and taking pictures starting between November 17th and 22nd

Interstate 10
**Eastbound, I-10, 287th Ave.
**Eastbound, I-10, Miller
**Eastbound, I-10, Watson
Westbound, I-10, 91st Ave
East & West, I-10, 75th Ave
East & West, I-10, 59th Ave
Eastbound, I-10, 35th Ave
Eastbound, I-10, 43rd Ave
Eastbound, I-10, 27th Ave
East & West, I-10, 15th Ave
Eastbound, I-10, 16th Street
Westbound, I-10, Buckeye
Westbound, I-10, 24th Street
Westbound, I-10, 40th Street

US 60 [these are set up now- ed.]
Westbound, US-60, Alma School
Westbound, US-60, Mesa Drive
Westbound, US-60, Gilbert Road

Interstate - 17
Southbound, I-17, 15th Ave
Southbound, I-17, 12th Street
Northbound, I-17, Thunderbird
Northbound, I-17, Bell Road

State Route - 51 Pretty dicey when you never know when the 55 turns to 65 and then BACK to 55, which is the case on the 51....

Southbound, SR-51, Thomas Road
Southbound, SR-51, Highland Pkwy.
Southbound, SR-51, Bethany Home Rd.

State Route - 101
**Southbound, SR-101, McDowell Rd
**Southbound, SR-101, Indian School
**Southbound, SR-101, Bethany Home
North & South, SR-101, Glendale Ave.
Southbound, SR-101, Olive
** Eastbound, SR-101, 75th Ave
** Eastbound, SR-101, 59th Ave
** Eastbound, SR-101, 35th Ave