Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2008, 06:27 AM   #16
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,298
the HP-2 sidestand bracket project is dialed in ,,onward to the adjustable sidestands

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbenz
Any further news on this.

I'm an HP2 owner and would be interested (also been following the sidestand bracket thread)
FYI,,OBTW,,,,i decreased the the 30 degree sidestand angle by 7.5 degrees,,,this to will assist it being a little more upright,,,part of the problem is that the bike is fairly tall and the frame high off the ground,,thus necessitating a long sidestand which of course has a higher MA ie mechanical advantage over the side standbracket,,,20 brackets are on his accelerated schedule for me

now as to the adjustable sidestands,,,my first inclination was to do them for the beemers,,and KTMS,,,,so i'll sart there,,,,and then expand time willing..
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #17
Zombie73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Another one for the GS

You could get really crazy and design it with some kind of quick adjustment deal. That would be cool for all the crazy angles, or sloping grade you rest your bike on through a day. Not before you set it down, but maybe a one-handed way while you do the balancing act with your other hand. Or is that just crazy talk?

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite
I'm in for one on the GS.

I need to extend the side stand a good 1-1/2" - 2".

Sent you a pm and questions....
Zombie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #18
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,592
Woody,

You might post this in thumpers. The 2008 KLR stands are too upright and several people, myself included, have been looking for options.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #19
oio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Interested -- 06 KTM 950 ADV.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:45 AM   #20
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Yes!
Please make a stand that gets the mounting off the cases of the KTM 950 Super Enduros, yet still allows for use of the centerstand.
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:08 AM   #21
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

send some pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se
Yes!
Please make a stand that gets the mounting off the cases of the KTM 950 Super Enduros, yet still allows for use of the centerstand.
i'm trying to visualize just what you are asking,,,a few pics are worth a thousand words

woody
Old 08-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #22
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Pics of new Adjustable side stand,,,this one for R1100GS

the problem: we've all been thru this before,,,the bike feels too vertical and tippy when parked using your sidestand,,,,a case encountered by '08 KLR owners and folks who sumo their bike ie putting smaller wheels than the bike originally came with,,,,or the other way,,ie having a bike that leans too far over and feels like it'll fall down,,which my R1100GS has done on numerous occasions,,especially with a full tank of gas and lots of gear,,,or we have the folks that put larger wheels going from 19'' fronts to 21'' BWOE

Rx:solution #1... for those who will PERMANENTLY keep the new/current configuration the solution is straight forward straight forward,,,we measure what is and what we'd like and modify the sidestand by lengthening/shortening it,,real simple,,,unless of course you are the frustrated owner of a HP-2 and the factory sidestand bracket is the problem from being too weak as well as having too great an outward angle to the bracket

solution #2,,,for those that switch back n forth between several scenarios of ridung using different diameter wheelsets and/or suspension settings,,we can solve that problem by :

A,,buying an extra sidestand and modifying them to fit each particular need,,,downside of course swapping you now need to swap sidetands in addition to your wheels,,,or ,,,
B..modifying you existing sidestand so that it would be adjustable to fine tune over a desired range,,,,below is one of my current ones,,,this one has a large nylock that allows the side stand to be adjusted by just twisting the foot-plate..the pics are self explanatory,,it works well and is speedy,,,my other version is similar only has a regular nut instead of the nylock. it uses a jam nut that needs a wrench or possible wings to be weldedon to lock the lower sidestand in place.

Below are some pics of an adjustable sidestand i created for my R1100GSwhich was tilted some 18 degrees,,,it's oem length is 13'' from the bottom of pad to the center of the pivot bolt,,,i cut a section out and welded it back together as you see,,, The sidestand can now go between 12.5" and 14.5". ,,,,currently at 14'' it straightened the bike to nice lean angle of 10 degrees,,,,,it is an adjustable sidestand with great strength.

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 08-29-2008 at 07:31 PM
Old 09-04-2008, 03:57 AM   #23
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
Anything for the R100GSPD in stock configuration? In my case, it leans too much.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #24
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

adjustable versus permanent/modified sidestands

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie
Anything for the R100GSPD in stock configuration? In my case, it leans too much.
ok,,,,from perusing this thread i see we have basically two kinds of needs,,,

A...the folks who probably are satisfied with their bike except for the wrong lean angle,,,ala bmw r100GS/PD leaning too much or the too vertical '08 Kawa KLR-650...these are easy to modify,,,just send in your sidestand and we can extend or shorten it the desired amount...if the bike showed up at our shop i'd know right away what we'd need,,,bigger footprints could be made/added at the same time

B...these are the people who will want an adjustable version,,,,the range of which will be determined by the kind of riding/wheels they plan on doing,,,
i would imagine the greatest range we would encounter BWOE would be someone supermotarding one day and then single tracking the next,,ie from the smallest diameter wheel tire combo to the largest tire combo.
then we have the needs of those who go touring two-up with a monster load one weekend and then commute solo the rest of the time... i've noticed the bikes sit at quite different angles,,,hence with an adjustable stand we'd be able to bridge the gap and set it up for somewhere near 10 degrees when you park the bike..

i have found that too much deviation from this final figure gives you the feeling the bike will tip one way or the other....just recently i modified my R1100GS ie the the one pictured in post #22.... what a difference 5 degrees more vertical has made in reducing my anxiety level
you too can optimize your parking experience

later,,,wooody

PS,,,i imagine over time we'll know some standard stats for each bike BWOE the R100GS/Pd mentioned above responds well by extending it circa 1'',,,no problem

remember,,,you can see for yourself,,,that the sweet-spot around 10 degrees +/-2-3 degrees is a real do-able range,,so when we want to modify the length of the sidestand we want end up at the mid-point of it's range..

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 09-04-2008 at 07:08 AM
Old 09-06-2008, 08:00 AM   #25
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

adjustable sidestand 2004 950 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soberman001
Woody
How do I get my hands on an adjustable side-stand for my 2004 950 Adventure? I assume it would be a direct bolt-on and leverage the existing spring set up.

Got pics?

let me know what the process is and if you are currently marketing these things, or just in prototype.

Scott
786-210-3162
currently i'm just modifying each rides sidestand on a 1 on 1 basis,,,you give me your sidestand and i'll lengthen/shorten it to your desired specification like type A or you give me a desired range +/- x'' from your sidestand like imentioned in post#24 and pictured in post#22 here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358866
Old 09-16-2008, 08:22 AM   #26
f knuckle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
i've noticed that quite a few of you have several sets of wheels for your BMW GSs and KTM LC-4 and LC-8 Adventures....

when going from BWOE the oem 21/18 KTM to the popular 19/17 combo reduces the height of your mc by 3/4'' the 17/17 SM conversion drops your bike by at least 1''+

i have a simple strong way of adjusting the sidestand over a 1.5''range,,,,

would you like a bigger footprint while you are at it,,,?????

should be able to pull this off for $50+/-

awaiting your feedback,,,

woody

PS,,,PLEASE pass the word,,,thanks
I know you didn't mention this bike but a friend of mine has a Multistrada that has been lowered for her and it is just not working on the side stand. any way one of these could be modified to work on her bike? If not, any idea where to look for something that would

thanks!!
f knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #27
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by f knuckle
I know you didn't mention this bike but a friend of mine has a Multistrada that has been lowered for her and it is just not working on the side stand. any way one of these could be modified to work on her bike? If not, any idea where to look for something that would

thanks!!
we can modify/shorten hers,,,no problem,,,you'll have to do the measuring and tell me how much you want removed...

holler n thanks,,,woody
Old 09-17-2008, 11:53 PM   #28
Beerslayer
Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer: 3,734
What a great idea! I was planning to get a set of supermoto wheels for my KTM 950 Adventure, and was figuring I would need two kickstands. It could use a bigger foot too. I tried the Touratech foot on it but it kept coming loose.

I will get that kickstand down to you this winter when I can part with it for a while, and send some measurements.
Road Rash Riding Roatan
Beerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:37 AM   #29
f knuckle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
we can modify/shorten hers,,,no problem,,,you'll have to do the measuring and tell me how much you want removed...

holler n thanks,,,woody
will do.
f knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #30
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,576
Hey Woody,

You still doing this adjustable sidestand deal? I've got an HP2 Enduro sidestand that you lengthened a couple years ago by 2". Worked great, but I replaced the OEM sidestand block with your steel one, and now it's too long. Here are some pics:

I'd like it shortened by 1" and then a +/- 1" adjustment on top of that since I run 21/18 and 19/17 wheels. Can you do that on this stand? My guess is it's got some steel rod already welded inside it from the last work....

Thanks.
space is offline   Reply With Quote