User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
wopachop OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Valve job for KTM LC4 in SoCal?

Have a 625SMC motor that needs a valve job. Not sure where to take it or if its even necessary.

KTM sells a tool to compress the valve springs and remove the valves myself. But its a special order and im not sure the price. Does anyone know can i buy a universal valve spring compressor that will work on a LC4 as well as other motors in the future?

Debating if i should just pull the valves myself and clean everything up with new valve seals. Or should i send the head to a shop and get a complete valve job done. The bike has been down for 6 years, i think it has around 40k miles.
wopachop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Have a 625SMC motor that needs a valve job. Not sure where to take it or if its even necessary.

KTM sells a tool to compress the valve springs and remove the valves myself. But its a special order and im not sure the price. Does anyone know can i buy a universal valve spring compressor that will work on a LC4 as well as other motors in the future?

Debating if i should just pull the valves myself and clean everything up with new valve seals. Or should i send the head to a shop and get a complete valve job done. The bike has been down for 6 years, i think it has around 40k miles.
I bought my spring compressor kit from Rockymountainatv. About 35 dollars if I remember correctly. Cleaning the valves and replacing seals is pretty easy, but if you want head work done, probably want to send it out.
2013 500 Exc
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
I made a valve spring compressor out of some square tubing, a piece of 1x4, threaded rod and pieces of PVC tubing after having one of the cheap universal c-clamp style compressors come apart on me.

Basically I bolted the head to the 1x4, used the threaded rod as a pivot point between the square tubing and 1x4 then used the PVC tubing to depress the valve spring using the square tubing as a lever. I had to cut "windows" into the pvc in order to deal with the valve keepers.

I could tuck the square tubing under my armpit and use both hands to deal with the valve spring and keepers.

The 1x4 was held in my bench vise.

It worked fine for me.

Sorry, no pictures.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote