Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
Jhawkins OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Talk me out of trading in my F800GSA

Hi guys,
Last July I bought a new F800GSA. I enjoyed it a lot that summer, fall, and this spring. I live in Northern NM, so most of my riding is in Colorado.

I do, however, feel like the most enjoyable rides have been the least technical off-roading, and the on road "traveling" type stuff, if you know what I mean. The more difficult and technical off roading (moab, some of the more difficult passes in Southern CO) was 2 up and I had fun, but in the future I see myself sticking to more modest off road sections with my wife as a passenger.

I feel like I pushed into more off road oriented stuff to prove to myself that the F800GSA was the right buy over the R1200GS / GSA. Maybe I've got that out of my system, so now I'm considering trading up to a new R1200GS or GSA, or maybe just to a 2009/2010 1200......I feel like I might gain some comfort and ability on the longer rides, and still handle 99% of the stuff I have done on the 800. I'd lose the comfort on the most technical stuff, but like I said, that's not where the fun is for me.

So, is it silly for me to even consider switching bikes right now?
Jhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
schwie
Wanna B Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Test Ride

i say grab your better half and check out the R12GS! I never hurts to be sure but in my opinion for 2 up riding, the R12GS would be hard to beat for comfort & power especial on long trips loaded with gear. I'm sure your F8GSA is great and if you were only pounding difficult off road, that bike likely would be easier to maneuver so I could see holding on to it but you sound like you are ready to make a change. Not to say the 12GS or 12GS Adv couldn't do those difficult offroad things as I know some guys can do amazing things on that bike. Best to check it out, likely if you wife is like mine, be prepared to come home with the 12GS!
schwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
60HzShuffle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
If you are a big guy or 2 up and only doing FS roads, the 12GS would be better IMHO.
60HzShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
drroccostein
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I just did the same thing, trade a 2011 800GS for a 2010 1200GSA. was doing mainly fire service roads and highway. It is amazing how much more comfortable the big bike is, I like not being pushed around by the wind. Do it make the switch, you won't regret it.
drroccostein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
Jhawkins OP
Adventurer

I guess I should go down to the dealership to give the new r1200 GSA a demo. I am, however, apprehensive as I am one of those poor bastards that can be very impulsive and I might roll away with something I don't need....
Old 05-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
lewisjr1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
dump it! a (measly) 800 simply doesn't have the hp or the mass to carry 2-up comfortably on tarmac.

another option, sell the 800 and buy a pair of 650's. then let your s/o learn how to ride her own stead.

if you pay for her to take a couple of riding schools early enough, she'll only learn good habits. it a short time, her abilities will surpass your own.

ask me how i know!
lewisjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:18 AM   #7
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 860
You did TWO up in MOAB? Wow...that is impressive. I've owned the R12GS ('07) and now have the water cooled GSA...LOVE IT...and test rode the 800 GSA. If you're going to be doing much highway particularly two up, then I think you'd feel much much better on the 1200. Coming from 1200s, I was surprised at just how buzzy, weak (feeling), and WINDY the 800 was at speed vs. its larger cousin. I knew there would be a difference obviously, but not THAT huge of a difference. It was night and day. And, as others have said, if you're sticking to dirt roads and wide open trails for "off road" stuff, then the 1200 would likely do just fine. I think the 1200 would be a better bike for you, but now you have to decide if it makes financial sense given the difference.

GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #8
bmwriderinvt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
do your internet research,,look all around to see whats out there..
unless you want to deal with a dealership..
I did my reseach and found my 03 r1150 GSA and what a fantastic price I paid,, beautiful bike,
just had to add my .69 cents worth...
bmwriderinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #9
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,045
Ever ridden the Last Dollar road from Telluride over towards Ridgeway two up on your 800? I've done it on my 09 GSA with my wife on the back. That's about as rough as I'd do two up on it. Hope that helps with dirt road comparisons.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #10
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
What's the ~$5k loss on value with your F800GSA worth to you? If you keep it for another few years, the loss will be amortized over a longer period of time (ie, make cost of ownership per km used lower). Answer that question, and that will persuade you to keep it or trade up to 12.

It's cheaper to replace the bench seat BTW.
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
Pabigwoods
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Not silly

I traded my F8 this winter on a used 2011 GSA. Wanted something better for 2up with my S.O. Works much better for that, and you know what. Much better solo as well!

I had put 20K miles on my F8 and it was a good bike with no problems, but the 12 is just so much better.

Go for a demo ride. You will see. Post up pics of the new ride.

Ps. I am on my 3rd bike in 4 seasons of riding. It takes a while to find what's right for you and your needs. It's not silly, it's a learning curve.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #12
Stephenmarklay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I have an 800 and its a great bike but it is not R1200. Money not considered I would have a new R1200GSA.
Stephenmarklay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
Jhawkins OP
Adventurer

Thanks!

You guys have been hugely helpful. I feel like I can get $2.5-3K less than I paid for my F8GSA on the used market.

Now I just need to go ride a few r12s to find out if I want a new water cooled one or maybe a 2009-2012 model.....

Thanks, and keep the great advice coming!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #14
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,474
I love my 8GS. Modded it to what I wanted out of the bike ie. bigger tank, seat, suspension, accelerator module and lights. I love this bike for what it is but doing a lot of highway and two up I bought a 1150GSA to do all that stuff and keep the 8GS for solo trips and offroad. Trading my 8GS in for another bike and paying extra would have cost me almost twice as much as I paid for my 1150 so I decided to keep my 8GS and pay 5k for another bike. The 8GS was all paid for and I didn't see the benefit of just having one big bike. I do my own maintenance and except tires and pads these bikes costs nothing to maintain.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #15
n1tr0
Dual Sport rider

Oddometer: 117
I love my new water cooled 1200GS. Original plan had been for an 800, but my short legs and its tall center of gravity were not a good combo. I think the 1200 will actually do much better offroad once I get some tkcs and crash bars installed. Make sure to try a new bike, the new version rides like a completely different bike.
If I had room for a second bike, it would be a lightweight 250, maybe even a 2-stroke. Trail riding really is fun when you can flick your bike around and drop it without worry.

Just make sure to sell it privately vs. trading it in. Any tax credit on the trade-in portion isn't likely to offset the gap in values.
n1tr0 is offline   Reply With Quote