Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
the-oz-slider OP
The Oz Slider

Oddometer: 43
clutch problems 2007 1200GS

Gudday one and all,
Well just when I think I have my '07 finally running OK, a new 'problem' surfaces......actaully I dont know why I even got complacent really, but thats the hand Ive been dealt...so here goes.

In a bid to get my bike to run better and stop backfiring among other surging and sloppy running issues, I have decided to fix everything that my 40 years of wrenching experience tells me could be a problem thats not helping the poor running...
Oh and for context, I have ordered an IICE unit.
In the meanwhile I attacked the cat converter and ripped most of the guts out of it through the rear exit pipe, and the bike runs tons better, so Im hoping that the IICE is the final link in the poor running scenario.......

But now to real problem....my clutch has started making odd noises. Bike has 12,000 miles, new plugs, new oil in engine and gearbox, valve clearances are perfect at 6 and 12.....

Noise starts when the bike gets hot....its a rattle/clunk and tinny metallic noise all in one. Its also inconsistent and doesnt do it all the time. Some time it will be the metallic clunk, then the tinny rattle and to sum up, its driving me absolutely nuts.

The noise is prsent when riding as I can hear it from under my nice new Shoei Neotec

My stone age stethescope (big screwdriver) tells me its coming from the clutch area, and not the cat as I first suspected my butchery on the cat had left a piece of metal flapping around but such does not appear to be the case. I even wrapped the cat in ablanket to isolate the noise and its still coming from the area of the clutch.........

BTW, clutch works fine at all times......

Oh woe is me, do I have to split the bike?

Al
the-oz-slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
the-oz-slider OP
The Oz Slider

Clutch problem

Stay tuned, No 1 son the engineer claims Im hearing the fule injector/throttle bodies working because my new helmet is so quiet compared to the old piece of crap I was wearing previous......
He says I don't have a problem...well nothing that a guy in a white room couldn't fix, but I'll see how it goes for the next few days.....
Old 09-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
the-oz-slider OP
The Oz Slider

Clutch. Noise

Well ya not gonna believe it, but e source of all my noise and assorted woes was oil related so we believe...read on if you wish.......
About two weeks ago I was tired of the Motul oil I was using in the tranny causing assorted maladies including heavy duty clunking, sloppy changes etc, so I installed BIG TWIN oil and that when my problems really started. When I drained the tranny oil yesterday it was creamy colourd and at first I thought I had water in it, but when I measured the quantity I had almost 900 cc of "oil" which on being left overnight reverted to 700 cc of red big twin oil. For some reason in the BMW transmission, the big twin oil turns to foam.

On installing a Valvoline 75-90 semi synthetic transmission oil all my transmission problems disappeared just like magic....woweeee.........
Till next time.......