User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 AM   #16
wjherrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
I went with...

...Blue Seas. It has been very durable over the last 18+ months or so. I put it under the seat as I thought it might be better protected there. But, it does not look in any way as cool as yours. Nice clear pic's!

Thanks,

Bill in OR
Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
Northlondoncookie
Beaver hunter

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjherrick View Post
...Blue Seas. It has been very durable over the last 18+ months or so. I put it under the seat as I thought it might be better protected there. But, it does not look in any way as cool as yours. Nice clear pic's!

Thanks,

Bill in OR
Had mine about 12 months no problem. I cut out the bottom of my tool tray. Only problem I had is that I used multistrand wire which would vibrate out. So I would use a single core or dip the ends in solder which I did and it works fine. Very easy to trouble shoot and the dealer can't say blah blah blah when something doesn't work as you can disconnect it all.
Northlondoncookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #18
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGS View Post
Are you not concerned with water rolling running right through that thing? I just installed the Eastern Beaver unit and I avoided that mounting location for that reason. I ended up installing mine in the tool tray like many others. I couldn't fit my tool roll in there anyway, so it was empty.
I have over 100K miles on 2 different GSA's with the Centec unit mounted there, have been through driving rain for hours on many occasions. Not a problem, not an issue, mount there with confidence.

If you are looking for a solution that has all of the wires cut to length and the nifty mounting plate already, look at Tom Dowells solution @ excelcyclewerkes.com great stuff.
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #19
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Thanks for bumping this thread up. It reminded me that I want to rig a little rain shield on mine. The way I have the seat mounted (up in front) means there is a larger than normal gap so I'd like to redirect the water so it can't go straight into the fuse box.

Mine is an eastern beaver until mount on the airbox wall over the battery.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #20
mindfulness
more ride less worry

Oddometer: 740
Fuzeblock on R12GSA

Nice little unit, connected the GPS yesterday but took these before

2008 Triumph Scrambler carbs, tkc80's, made in England!
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #21
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
Looks like a nice install. I should probably have gone with Fuzeblock on my LT instead of Centech. The Centech works and will be fine, but it kind of looks like a homemade device. I found I had to be creative to secure it without running the risk of creating a short. Anyway you did well.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #22
mindfulness
more ride less worry

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Looks like a nice install. I should probably have gone with Fuzeblock on my LT instead of Centech. The Centech works and will be fine, but it kind of looks like a homemade device. I found I had to be creative to secure it without running the risk of creating a short. Anyway you did well.
Thank you sir! But I have to give props and credit to Adam from Rocket Moto, he did the install and harness build at his sweet shop...

Thanks again Adam, you perfectionist nut!

said with all due respect of course...
2008 Triumph Scrambler carbs, tkc80's, made in England!
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #23
camnowell
Still a n00b

Oddometer: 37
My go at it

Thanks to Burnszilla for starting the thread and the rest of the inmates for showing off their particular accessory fuse block installations. Not to hijack his thread, but I thought I would rather contribute to the topic by posting mine as well. Hope you don't mind.

Thanks to leftystrat62, I picked up a brand new "fuzeblock" still in the wrapper. Upon opening the package, I was amazed at the quality of workmanship and design - I understand now why they are so damn expensive!

Once I got to the install, like Burnszilla, I thought something needed to be done to protect the underside of the fuzeblock. I thought about using liquid black tape on the back like others have mentioned, but ultimately, I decided to keep it simple with standard black tape. I wiped the surface down with alcohol first and ran strips crosswise, then lengthwise, to cover it completely - I cut them longer than necessary so that my fingers didn't touch any part of the tape I wanted to stick to block. I used a hair dryer during the process to soften the tape up a bit as well to hopefully help it adhere and trimmed up the edges with a razor blade.

I took a look at mounting the block on the backside of the tank, but decided it was going to be too much work and I didn't really care for the spiderweb of wires that would eventually spring out of it located there. I tried mounting it underneath the tool tray, but decided there wasn't going to be enough room to make it a clean install there either. So, ultimately, I decided to mount it on the tray itself. I have moved my tools anyway, so it wasn't being used for anything else. Also, I routed the ground wires underneath the fuzeblock and out the front side of the tray so I can use all wires as a hinge of sorts and still be able to use the compartment underneath.

For the switched wire - I kept it simple and tapped into the "blue/green" wire on the diagnostic plug as others have mentioned. My little corner of Alabama doesn't have a place to buy the positap connectors - at least on a Sunday - so I just went with the old quick connector. Not my preferred choice, but it will have to work for now.

Thanks to all the previous contributors, it really helped to solidify the thought process and simplify the installation.
camnowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #24
hbkramer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Here is my version/idea on the FUZE Bloc install location and method:

On the 05 R12GS, I relocated the little tool kit to a tool tube under the rear subframe and made the tabbed pvc mounting plate ( in the pic)to velcro the fuze bloc to.
I cut the 1/8" pvc with tabs ,so I could insert the tabs into slits I dremeled into the tool tray(if you can call it a tool tray.) (see orange grease pencil marks). Once the PVC plate was "tabbed" in i used industrial velcro to attach the fuze bloc to the pvc plate.

I used the switched lead comming from the aux plug on left side of the bike.,and proceeded to run the power /ground /switched power leads to the front of the fuze bloc and then wire up and label my gizmos to the fuze box. MAKE sure you do not exceed the 30 amp total rating of the fuze bloc. I have other pics of the fuze bloc attached to the plate if any one wants to see em.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #25
hbkramer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
here is the fuze bloc , on the pvc tabbed mounting plate,velcro mounted ,ready for wiring.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #26
IND GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
The fuzeBlok looks very well made. I have a centech that I have moved from 3 bikes i had in the past. 07 GS - 08 RT and now to my 09 GSA...haven't had any problem so far....
IND GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #27
VietHorse
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
From which website I could buy one for 1200gs? I have tried http://ww2.fuzeblock.com/ and it showed up several links which are not really related.
Thanks.

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #28
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietHorse View Post
From which website I could buy one for 1200gs? I have tried http://ww2.fuzeblock.com/ and it showed up several links which are not really related.
Thanks.
Wrong link. You want fuzeblocks.com, not fuzeblock.com. http://www.fuzeblocks.com/
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #29
VietHorse
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Wrong link. You want fuzeblocks.com, not fuzeblock.com. http://www.fuzeblocks.com/
Thank you very much. I have no idea why I click on the link given by the OP then it directed me to that freking link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
Last year I installed a Blue Seas fuse box into the tail of my GS and a few of you guys said it was a stupid idea and "you'll end up moving it some day." Well that day has come. I was looking for a smaller size fuse block that would fit under the seat where I wanted it. I saw the 'behind the tank fuse block' install on 1150GS and thought it could be done on the 1200, but a smaller fuse box would be needed. Along comes the www.fuzeblocks.com.
Out of stock now.

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #30
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,944
Or www.cyclenutz.com He is an inmate here.

I have done two in the last month. My bike:

My friend's bike today:

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote