User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Best dual sport jacket for hot/humid weather

I live in Malaysia where we don't have much access to good gear, but I'm in the USA right now and wanted to pick up some good riding gear to bring over.

All year round our weather averages 90-105F with 80-95% humidity. Most of the locals where flip flops and tank tops. We also average 9 motorcycle fatalities a day in a country of 28 million.

I have some boots I love - wind goes right thru them saving me from "jungle feet" and I use a street bike full face flip up helmet which works well for heat/coverage.

I'd love to find a great jacket (and pants and gloves I suppose). Just on my daily drive to work I hit 75 mph on the freeway, AND do some big rocky single track thru the jungle. There's no way I'm going to switch gear mid way. I'm concerned the off road gear wont stay on on a high speed freeway slide, and the street gear isn't as capable for pointy rocks.

I saw and liked a Dainese (sp?) compression jacket at 2 different stores. The first store told me they probably wouldn't stay together above 50 mph and the 2nd store (cycle gear in phoenix) a salesman Robbie was going on how some guy named Valentino Rossi used it for 200 mph road racing ...

Any thoughts out there?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,514
Olympia Bushwacker
FirstGear Kilimanjaro"Air"
Motosport Mesh Kevlar(not sure of exact name)

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,967
If you want ventilation and protection, I recommend the Belstaff Adventure jacket. You might wonder at that given that I live in cold, rainy, old Scotland but last month I wore mine in 90 deg + temperatures while riding in California and Oregon. Mesh jackets offer great ventilation but I doubt that they offer the same level of crash protection as a solid textile jacket.

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com...ure-jacket.asp
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:49 AM   #4
Lightemup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I use the BMW Airflow 3 here in Thailand for long distance drives on highways.
It has sections in mesh, allowing for airflow for ventilation.
Honestly I think its too hot to wear for pure jungle rides, where I switch to a enduro/mx shirt and elbow armor instead.

I know that some other riders here use the Joe Rocket Phoenix meshjacket for dual sporting.
I will proberbly take a look at that one myself at some point in the future.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/joe-rock...-jacket-pants/

Try asking the same question on GT-Rider.com forum: http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/
Old 07-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl
I live in Malaysia where we don't have much access to good gear, but I'm in the USA right now and wanted to pick up some good riding gear to bring over.

All year round our weather averages 90-105F with 80-95% humidity. Most of the locals where flip flops and tank tops. We also average 9 motorcycle fatalities a day in a country of 28 million.

I have some boots I love - wind goes right thru them saving me from "jungle feet" and I use a street bike full face flip up helmet which works well for heat/coverage.

I'd love to find a great jacket (and pants and gloves I suppose). Just on my daily drive to work I hit 75 mph on the freeway, AND do some big rocky single track thru the jungle. There's no way I'm going to switch gear mid way. I'm concerned the off road gear wont stay on on a high speed freeway slide, and the street gear isn't as capable for pointy rocks.

I saw and liked a Dainese (sp?) compression jacket at 2 different stores. The first store told me they probably wouldn't stay together above 50 mph and the 2nd store (cycle gear in phoenix) a salesman Robbie was going on how some guy named Valentino Rossi used it for 200 mph road racing ...

Any thoughts out there?
All you have to do is find a coat with some good venting and a light color.

I have an old First Gear Timbuktu jacket (¾ length) that has long zipper vents on the sleeves, a snap up/zipper front, a wide zipper vent in the back, velcro cuffs, and a ¾ sleeve snap out liner. It is red and white with minimal black highlights. I can ride on an 80°+ day with the sleeve vents about half open, the back full open, cuffs loose, and the front snapped up. I don't usually bother to take out the liner, believe it or not, the difference is minimal. The yoke of the coat is white and the lower body/sleeves are red - very little heat absorbtion. My only regret is not getting the all red coat, the white gets grungy immediately. But it is machine washable.

The point - good venting for flow while riding, light color for minimal heat absorbtion especially when sitting still or going really slow. Avoid black like the plague. I have a Heine Gericke Boost coat that is hotter than heck, but I wear it for cooler days.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Outfox
Born to ride

Oddometer: 52
I've got this BMW jacket. It has been very cool, literally, with the large front and rear vents.

My wife bought the blue one for me as a x-mas present. Can't say any jacket is worth $700. But I love this jacket.

07 R1200GS
93 CBR900RR
00 XR70
Outfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
bubbabob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Motoport Kevlar shirt...

I just ordered a new long sleeve shirt made of stretch and mesh kevlar by Motoport. It has tri-armor in the forearm/elbow, shoulder and back, and was designed for the CHP. Wayne is now making it available to everyone. Mine is going to be light grey in color but he has a selection. Not cheap at $329 per, but bunches of protection in a lightweight shirt. And no, I don't work for the company. http://www.motoport.com/
Bob
bubbabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
For a true tropical enviroment i think mesh is the only option. These jackets shown here with "vents" will give me heat stroke in offroad conditions. Chose one with leather/cordura over the elbow and shoulder area. I upgraded the cheap armour in mine.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:38 AM   #9
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
NOT BLACK!!!

what is your budget? There are different answers at different price points.

for the budget minded, check out www.newenough.com especially in the closeout super bargains.

I wear a pressure suit (rockgardn) for HOT commutes. I know it will burn through on a freeway slide, but it is a risk I choose to live with over heatstroke. I have always meant to add some kevlar abrasion protection but have not done it. Now they make such a thing, I think it is a troy lee design--a good pressure suit with perferated leather on the slide points. It is sold as motard gear.

I think bubbabob had the best overall solution, that CHP shirt does look like the best hot gear that will work for dual sport--if only he made it in a light color.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Will DaBeast
Go United

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbabob
I just ordered a new long sleeve shirt made of stretch and mesh kevlar by Motoport. It has tri-armor in the forearm/elbow, shoulder and back, and was designed for the CHP. Wayne is now making it available to everyone. Mine is going to be light grey in color but he has a selection. Not cheap at $329 per, but bunches of protection in a lightweight shirt. And no, I don't work for the company. http://www.motoport.com/
Bob
Any idea how to login to the Motoport website? When I click on the link, this page pops up.

Which is great, but if you don't already have an ID and password you can't get into the site to get an ID and password.
BMWMOA #127619
Will DaBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #11
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
the motoport site is down.

That is the admin login.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
skeptic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I'm in SoCal and wear the Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket. It has zip in liner for colder weather or rain. I like it as it is very light, allows full flow through, and affords much more protection with its double mesh and padded construction than nothing at all.
skeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
Will DaBeast
Go United

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W
the motoport site is down.

That is the admin login.
Ah, OK. Now I don't feel so stoopit
BMWMOA #127619
Will DaBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #14
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,315
+1 olympia

The bushwacker has nice armor and was very comfortable for me (get hot easily) in the low 90's.

Plus they are great value for $$
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #15
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
I like the look of that jacket outfox - which BMW jacket is it?

Ricky
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote